Lin Dan walkover in MO

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open / Korea Open 2011' started by xymaerts, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Just out of interest, if there are rules against WOs, can a player just play a few points and then quit and claim injury
    after explaining to the doctor? If so why dont the players do it the 2nd way?Will spectators feel better the 2nd way?

If this has happened to Chen Jin tournament after tournament it is not surprising because of a recurring back problem.

By giving WO and instead of stepping on Court and playing a few points,is LD or even CBA sending some message,whatever it

is? Surely a player cannot be so seriously injured that he cant walk out on Court, or is it some form of protest or defiance?

#221 Bbn, Jan 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  2. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Yes i would prefer that way. At least we see the expressions and at least if its a fake one the player has to perform the act.

3. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    to avoid another Lin Dan walk out, the best way is to change the World Ranking points system.

At the moment, winner of a Super Series event gets 9200 points, runner up gets 7800 and third/fourth get 6420. It ought to be changed to 9200 (winners), 4600 (runner up) and 2300 (third/fourth). That would be real incentive for players to advance to the finals.

As for penalty, if a top-10 player do not show up in a SS event, they should have 2000 point or a 5% of their WR deducted. If a top-10 player do not show up in a PSS event, they should have 3000 point (or a 7.5% of their WR deducted).

4. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

I guess you fall under both categories 1 and 3. Stand up in court? As I pointed out a long time ago in this thread nobody is talking about a court of law here this is a discussion forum. My use of the the word evidence was not meant to be taken as a legal submission. It amuses me greatly that a guy in Taiwan has to explain the concept of context in an English forum to a guy posting from England.

So you're comparing a decision to take it easy during casual club play to world class level competition. There is a world of difference between the two and only someone who has never competed or watched other sports would be ignorant of that fact. If you're going to accuse of rubbish at least have the manners not to offer up even more rubbish. As I type I have just returned from 3 hours of club play. I am experiencing some pain in my knee and my ankle. I'll have a hot shower go to bed and wake up feeling fine. There is a world of difference between some pain and an injury. If every player quit because of a little pain of the type you are talking about the whole draw would be one big walk over.

If you want to attack what I consider evidence then do so. But don't just offer up your own rubbish and expect to be taken seriously.

5. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
  6. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Its beginning to look more and more like it wasn't Lin Dan's decision to make.

7. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

post 150?-----------------------------

8. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Ummmm... not exactly! :) That one gives the "official" line, if you know what I mean.

9. benjamin59

benjamin59 Regular Member

technician
    most chinese players retire quite young once the next generation players are ready to take over. I think LD is planning to retire from international competition after the asian games getting married and starting a family. The problem there is no one in the chinese team who is able to contain LCW and thus he is forced to stick around.
    look at the past chinese players a lot of them were forced to give way once the replacement were found even though they the seniors were still rank among the tops.

10. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

I think your post is connected to post 221,ie.last part.

11. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    LinDan is married. He need 'some' challenges in 'other' areas. Badminton is no longer his passion. Period. lol. ;)

12. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

it funny that this thread could go so long...

what's the big deal of having LD WO? every competition (even other similar sports) there are WOs... did other players like LCW / TH never had WO or withdrawals?

why people like to play detectives to dig out any conspiracies about LD's WO?

simple, he just didn't want to play. that's it.

Ok, should he be punished for "not wanting to play" due to the rule of "a player must exert his best effort to play on court" or the like? then should we punish those players having complacency on court?

And shall we ask ourself, what are the ultimate goal we like to achieve with this thread??
    (1). force LD to play under all circumstances;
    (2). find the applicable rule and fine he for the WO;
    (3). ban him from playing.

for (1), cannot see how you could do it... point a gun to him and force him to play??
    for (2), he might not mind. the fine would not be huge, and he wouldn't have many WOs in a year, say fewer than 10. and he's wealthy now.
    for (3), is that what we want?? maybe don't need to wait for such, LD might suddenly announce his retirement even at prime time like the case of Guo JJ.

and normally it was the player himself or competition's organization concerns most on a player's WO because both would lose money (i.e. have vested interest), it's amazing in badminton that it's the opponents and fans are mostly mean and looks like the WO player owe them, are there vested interest?? (yes for LCW, cos MAS SS is the best venue for him to beat LD. for TH? comments from both appeared to me more to be personal rather than professional.)

I think it's time to leave this thread alone and enjoy what we have on hand for badminton.

13. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    For someone who thought too much was being said on this thread, you kept it down to one line, I see! :D :D

14. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

I think by now most of us would be able to draw our own conclusions from all the input.

15. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

Contrary to what you might think the issue isn't about Lin dan per se or even about team China when you get down to it. It is about the abuse of the WO and the effect it has on how the game of badminton is viewed as a serious sport. The only reason LD and China are discussed is because they are ones currently engaged in this practice. I would not be the least surprised see another team engage in simular antics if they had the team depth to do so.

Ultimatley it's not up to the Chinese team or LD himself. It is up to the BWF to treat the issue more seriously. There is plenty they can do to curb the practise. They can for example deduct points for missed events or for WOs. Ultimately it should be about offering incentive for players or teams to compete to their full ability rather than trying to punish certain behaviour. Yes, you could argue deducting points is a punishment but it would actually be a cost. For example, I was involved in ladder play which ran once a week. If you missed your session you were 'knocked down' 2 places. This is probably the fairest system as the players then know what the cost of missing a match will be. The ultimate solution is that badminton become a professional sport but right now there are too many parasites milking the sport and it is not in their interest to change.

Really? I've been watching Tennis for 30 years and I can't remember any case where one player routinely granted WO to compatriots. Nor can I remember any team manager comming out and actually admitting using WO as a team strategy. I know there has been the odd instance of match fixing in other sports and I can tell you that in those cases any hint of it led to serious investigations and very serious penalties when it was determined to have occurred.

As for LCW or TH having WOs I'm sure they have. The problem isn't a WO. The problem is the pattern of strategic WOs over the couple of years by one particular team. After 14 pages of discussion you should at least be able to understand that simple point. This isn't about just one isolated WO.

16. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    @thunder.tw
    Some people prefer not to get it. It doesn't sit well with their perception of the order of things. Stet.

17. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    haha
    let see what lin dan 2nd round opponent say after advanced this morning
    marc z:
    Beat hafiz hashim in straight sets today and I'm very pleased with my game.tomorrow will b another level as I'm expecting to face no other then Lin Dan.never had less pressure on me so hope I can enjoy the match...winning tactic is either bore him until hes asleep or make him pull out :)

source:his facebook current status:D

wonder how low the reputation is now in between player:p

18. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Definitely a candidate for Post of the Week! :D

19. Tommy Susanto

Tommy Susanto Regular Member

Oh p~leas~e MAS doctors:D Some doctor forgot and left a needle after an operation on a lady:D This lady felt discomfort and had x-ray afterward. And so this saga began right after:p Sorry my bad, the discussion here is corruption not negligence:p

20. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

I see, corruption as in Indonesia?