Let's gauge how's MAS elite backup players perform... BOLEH!!!

Discussion in 'Dutch Open / Denmark Open / French Open 2010' started by jimbo, Oct 25, 2010.

1. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2010/10/28/sports/7313739&sec=sports

Liew strengthens position in Guangzhou Asian Games
    By NG WEI LOON

ODENSE: Malaysia’s Liew Daren has put himself in a good position to be considered to play in the third singles slot in the men’s team competition at the Guangzhou Asian Games.

In the Denmark Open at the Odense Sports Park yesterday, Daren came back from a game down to beat a higher ranked Dicky Palyama of Holland 19-21, 21-14, 21-10 in a 53-minute first-round match.

But the 23-year-old, who came through from the qualifying tournament, is not thinking about the prospects on getting to play in the Asiad.

“I am delighted to be included in the team for the Asian Games but I still want to make a strong impression in convincing the selectors on my ability to play well,” said Daren, who was a semi-finalist in the recent Indonesia Open Grand Prix Gold tournament.

I will leave it to them to decide on the best strategy for the team. I am comfortable playing with the underdog tag without the unnecessary pressure.

In the match against Palyama, Daren admitted that he committed several errors towards the closing stage of the first game and allowed his world No. 21 opponent to win it.

I cut my right palm in going down to retrieve a shot in the second round qualifying match against Wang Zhengming (which he won 21-16, 11-21, 21-18 on Tuesday) and I did not want to use it as an excuse for not playing well,” said Daren, who is ranked 89th in the world.

“I felt that I had a chance to keep my hopes alive and continue my journey in the tournament. I just pulled my socks up and I did not want to repeat the same mistakes in following two games against Palyama.”

Daren will be play against the winner of the match between Hong Kong’s Hu Yun and India’s Anand Chetan for a place in the quarter-finals.

Daren said he is eager to reverse the outcome against the challenger coming through.

“In the past, I have lost to both of them on two occasions each. Both matches against Chetan went down to the wire in three games while the last meeting with Hu Yun was also decided over rubber games. It will be a refreshing change to score a win tomorrow (today),” Daren recalled.

The other Malaysian in the men’s singles competition, Chan Kwong Beng, who is also in the team for the Asian Games, failed to get past the qualifying rounds. He was beaten 11-21, 14-21 by Denmark’s Emil Vind in a second-round match.

In the men’s doubles, the newly-forged partnership of Mohd Fairuzizuan Tazari-Ong Soon Hock got off to a winning start, beating Taiwanese Chen Chung Jen-Lin Yen Jui 21-12, 21-10 in 23 minutes.

Meanwhile, top seeded Dane and 2008 champion Peter Gade Christensen has opted to withdraw from the tournament because a lower back injury.

“The injury has restricted my movement and it is wise not to risk aggravating it,” he said.

“I will leave for home tomorrow and continue to seek treatment. Hopefully, I will be ready for the next tournament (French Open) next week.”

2. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
  3. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

I'm very pleased with the win by Mak/TWK, and I guessed that MB/CM would defeat GWS/TKS in straight games, as they were in front of their home crowd and would not want to taste defeat against GWS/TKS (unknown players to most badminton fans) The Malaysians got close to snatching the second game though, i would give them credit or that. Try harder next time! :)

Good start by Mak/TWK, taking their revenge. I hope they will keep up the momentum and try to check into the QF to give MAS MD another go at MB/CM.

I also hope that Liew Daren can take revenge too, his form has been not bad lately. Hope his cut doesn't give him too many problems.

4. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    A better showing from Liew Darren and Mak/Tan, and of coz veteran Fairuz and OSH...
    keep Mas flag flying...hope they can go further...

5. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Yun HU [8] vs Daren LIEW (MAS)
    Hee Chun MAK / Wee Kiong TAN (MAS) vs Mikkel Elbjorn LARSEN / Christian SKOVGAARD
    Yoshiteru HIROBE / Kenta KAZUNO vs Mohd Fairuzizuan MOHD TAZARI / Soon Hock ONG (MAS)

All the best.... BOLEH.... :)

6. danielwong

Salesman

I forsee and feel good that we can achieve hit rate of 100% today
    lets feel good
    [video=youtube;u5HRzaOFhec]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5HRzaOFhec[/video]

7. volcom

volcom Regular Member

It's time for Hu Yun to shine :)....
    Nice lazy power player.

8. undeadshot

Dude, this one is the ultimate jinx! Everytime you post this, our backups all sure kaput, lolz...

9. undeadshot

Liew Daren did well in this Open to produce a few upsets here and there, but he should continue improving. Btw, did I see him drop his racquet and gave it a little kick in frustration at 15-19? He must try to control his temper to play consistently. Unforced errors are his biggest threat to consistency.

10. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Yun HU [8] beat Daren LIEW (MAS): 21-12 21-15 (39min)

Sometimes, good things have to come to an end... nice journey, Darren :) BOLEH...

11. danielwong

Salesman
    Not that bad...at least Mak/Tan win over their opponent
    while Liew Daren made it to 2nd RD
    too bad Fairuz and OSH have to walkover...

12. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Ya lor, Bad Daniel......always jinx our beloved back-ups......lol

13. danielwong

Salesman
    then how??, you want me to post this song each time our heroes and heroines play?:D:D
    i can do that

[video=youtube;WaJuR8QaBrQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaJuR8QaBrQ&feature=related[/video]

14. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Err........I think u can give a try.....maybe will reverse the jinx, since your 'feel good' song havent help much....!! hehehehehe

15. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Hee Chun MAK / Wee Kiong TAN (MAS) beat Mikkel Elbjorn LARSEN / Christian SKOVGAARD: 18-21 21-19 21-15 (52min)

Good result... btw, may I know what is the ranking among the DEN MD pairs? No.2 or No.3?

16. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Yoshiteru HIROBE / Kenta KAZUNO beat Mohd Fairuzizuan MOHD TAZARI / Soon Hock ONG (MAS): 21-15 17-21 18-9 Retired (52min)

oh no... what happened? Who injured? Hope he/they recover soon... BOLEH

17. danielwong

Salesman
    Try? Why not? No harm trying...worst case kena "whack"

Playing against host is not easy ler....btw, Mak/Tan should be our 2nd rank pair also, right?

18. danielwong

Salesman
    All The Best to Mak/Tan

So, break the tradition....dare to change...impossible is nothing (Nike)
    everything is possible (Li Ning)....I would like to dedicate this song to Mak/Tan for
    their QF match against 1st seed, Boe/Mogensen...Boleh.....:D:D:D:D

[video=youtube;WaJuR8QaBrQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaJuR8QaBrQ&feature=related[/video]

19. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Hey, great move Daniel........very brave, good for you !! ( kena whack ? dont worry I'll back u up )....hahahaha

20. undeadshot

Denmark are probably like us, banking on MB/CM, the rest all unsure. Probably No.2 - 4, just like our Mak/TWK, No. 2-4 also (race between CPS/LKW, Mak/TWK and GWS/TKS)

Okay, good good, let's see if its the end of the world for Mak/TWK or Boe/Mogensen today :D