2010 Commonwealth Games - Individual Events, Oct 11 to 14

Discussion in 'Commonwealth Games 2010 - Badminton' started by eaglehelang, Oct 8, 2010.

1. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Well, NST & Star did say WMC cried after the lost, they did some sympathy. The media didnt bash Choo2, as she was not expected to win gold. It's the norm to highlight the gold medal winners.

2. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student

LOL here in France when talking 'bout Badminton it always comes to........nothing
    People aren't interested by Badminton :(:(

3. Angelineayht

Angelineayht Regular Member

Student
    Pity that she lost .. she had the chance to win gold but she let it slipped through her fingers .
    She also cried ( a bit ) during the victory ceremony , the sad look and the forced smile ...

4. Angelineayht

Angelineayht Regular Member

Student
    Koo's hat trick is the coolest :D
    You have to be a very complete player to do the hat trick

5. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Oh yes, the NST did. The first paragraph of the NST report said it all. The Malay dailies are even more scathing, even mentioned that she was playing without thinking of her shots.

If you look at how the English dailies write it in their 3 finals loss to Malaysia, there is a lot more appreciation for their athletes and their athletes have always been portrayad favourably. Well, unless they were naughty like Wayne Rooney.

6. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Those who publish wrong info. are called prawn heads. Oh head prawns is the correct term. Oh brain prawn la. lol;)

7. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

In the articles, Star is usually most sympathatic to players. For this time, NST had a photo of WMC sitting down crying(oops, online version dont have this), so, readers will feel for her.
    Ohhhh, the malay language press, normal lah. They said worst things about the underperformance of hockey and track & field.

#1127 eaglehelang, Oct 15, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..vpsingh, any pics you want to share with us as you promised earlier??..;)
    *thanks for the tidbit of side infos..

9. limb7567

limb7567 Regular Member

student
    I can’t stand disillusioned people. I’m just going to be blunt and direct with this.

When I look at the CWG medal table, what S’pore got has no meaning at all (to me). I might as well put liquid paper on 8th place S’pore and I still find that table completely valid.

FACT. Spore medalists are all bar one so called naturalised ‘foreign’ talent. To me, S’pore is not competing in SPORT, just engaging in medal buying business.

Do the Singapore supporters really feel for and inspired by these talents? When they watch and cheer for these foreign talents bearing the S’pore flag, do they deep down in their heart, find it hard to deny it is all just bogus. If they don’t, and happily accept those victories as theirs, good for them, it is money well spent. Take the blue pill and live in wonderland.

10. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    Enough is enough.....whoever it is...

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Aiyah don't be like that lah. However I agree that Chayut is getting handsomer each day and this must be due to the excess fat that he shed through hard training. Imagine if he returns to Bangkok (for a visit), all the girls will go for him! So you also have good taste hah! :)

12. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Singapore BOLEH.... sawadeekap Chayut... Bisa Shinta... Bisa Saputra... Xin Ai Ying 加油!

13. vpsingh

vpsingh Regular Member

The IT Guy
    Taken from AFP --
    India’s other medal, the women’s doubles, finished in a roar of controversy. Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Machimanda overcame the top-seeded Shinta Sari and Yao Lei 21-16, 21-19, but only after the Singaporeans’ second game comeback was derailed by turmoil surrounding the point at 18-18.
    Gutta delivered a flick serve which sailed into court with neither Singaporean moving because Sari had her hand up, indicating they were not ready.
    But the point stood, putting the top seeds 18-19 down, even though they protested to umpire Ian Spear of England and called for the competitions manager to come on to court. It caused a dispute lasting several minutes, and on resumption Sari and Yao made mistakes in two of the next three rallies to lose, amidst general delight.
    After Sari’s final smash landed long, both Singaporeans hurled their rackets away in fury, and walked off without shaking hands with Spear:eek:. Later they declined to come for press conference.

14. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

haha that's a nice one jimmy.

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    You may be disillusioned but not me.

Consider this: if Spore were to wait for her own local-born athletes of acceptable standard to compete, it will take a long, long time because of unsuitable prevailing conditions and competing distractions. Spore has suffered greatly in this CWG (and other international competitions in the next few years) because we are hardly represented in athletics, which offers the most medals due to domestic NSA problems. Our swimmers, despite training for so long, are nowhere in the CWG although many have achieved Personal Best times.

Therefore if Spore were to rely solely on her small pool of local-born, we will be out of the sports circuit for a long time and can never dream of an Olympic gold. Spore administrators would not allow this to happen, they want sports to be part of a way of life and took the bold road, like some other nations, to cultivate and develop a pool of foreign talents to spearhead its ambitions and the results are encouraging. Mind you, we are not buying ready-made champions off the shelf as most of the FTs are not among the top athletes in their respective countries and many are brought in when they were young teenagers. We have to put in resources to train and develop them so that they can don Spore colours and perform respectably on the regional and internationl fronts.

This is not too different from Msia who engaged foreign coaches to train their athletes. It is good that Msia has a larger pool of athletes to train with and to choose from for competitions. Why are foreign coaches employed? Why can't Msia rely on her own local-born coaches? Basically I suppose Msia want a better showing and they want their players to be able to match those in the region and internationally and hopefully some of them can become champions.

This is healthy rivalry and standards are being pushed higher and higher, both in coaching and in competing, in years to come.

Therefore Spore is competing, not just buying medals. Our FTs still lose to the best, although some achieved good results. So did our locals who won medals, not just one gold as you said but more than one in shooting. Our FTs' achievements inspire our locals to achieve higher standards. Even in badminton, our locals are showing improvement, but alas we don't have the mass just yet. It will be a matter of time when they will reach the standard of our FTs and be able to challenge others in their own right. This is our final objective I think. And then there will not be any more dispute and displeasure. :D

#1135 Loh, Oct 18, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  16. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Chayut, if he sheds weight, could be a very tough opponent. He and Yao Lei were the best of the bunch, and the XD match with Koo and Chin was a classic battle. Too bad Yao Lei didn't perform so well in the WD final, that was a big opportunity.

17. vpsingh

vpsingh Regular Member

The IT Guy
    I think WMC played brilliantly. I never understand why media loves to bash losing side. They also prepare and play with same efforts. It might not be their day but can one day's perfromance decide how good or bad a player is. Malaysian media should support and encourage WMC. I remember how Indian media came to Saina's rescue (which was wonderful given how pathetic our media is) when she lost in Asian BC 2010 at Delhi - saying she is still the best player in India and one of the best in world. And remember how she jumped up winning two SS titles in a trot. Support your players guys! They represent your country!!

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I agree Chayut has improved and their match against Koo & Chin, which was telecast live in Spore, was well-matched. It could go either way but I thought Chayut was the culprit to have lost points so easily towards the end.

I didn't watch the WD doubles unfortunately but read that it was full of controversies. I hope our girls will learn from that experience and become better players in future.

#1138 Loh, Oct 18, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2010
  19. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Indeed WMC played well, maybe a shade below her China Open 2007 winning performance. Even Saina declared that it was the toughest match of her life. Kudos to both players for showcasing the greatest WS match of the 2010 Commonwealth Games, or of any Commonwealth Games thus far. Congratulations to Saina for her recovery from a bad start.

Some say Saina had extreme pressure because of the need to get the Gold and pass England. But the pressure on WMC was no less significant against a typically unforgiving Malaysian media, given that she hasn't shown (not for the lack of trying) great results lately. Nothing but meeting expectations is good enough.

This is part of the reason why Malaysian athletes have difficulty breaking the World or Olympic Champion barrier, except our foreign-based Squash Queen. One forgets that Nicol David herself was once moved to tears by the media after 2002 Asian Games, and was not spared after failing in the 2006 Commonwealth Games as the reigning World Champion.

20. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

In fact, you don't have to go as far as reading the MAS media to find out how athletes were treated in Malaysia. Just look at how many of the Malaysians forumers here bashing on their ''underperforming''(note- read as not winning the title in every single tournament they participated in) national players(be it Koo/Tan, LCW or even juniors who just made it to the international scene) in the professional forum, you will have a clue. Personally I think this will only depress the athletes even further and is not helping the athletes growth at all.

In case you missed some of the press articles posted by some of the members here. Malaysia have their best overall Commonwealth outing this year(winning 12 golds) as opposed to 10 golds they won in Malaysia commonwealth games in 1998. And as if those athletes in MAS were not under enough pressure already, the governing sport officials now wants more golds in the next edition of Commonwealth without even having a clue in which event they are aiming for a gold medals. I feel that those officials know very little about the sport and only set those high bars up for the sake of portrating that they are a high achieving nation without giving a deep thought about weather such target is realistic. Such are the impression those officials gave to me. So you could imagine what sort of pressure those athletes were living in.

Let me share some story that I stumbled across...I have been following LCW's games for quite a while and always love to hear Gillian Clark commenting on his game. And sometime you could feel the frustration Gill have when she talked about MAS media. The most notable one being in the quarter final match between LCW and Shon in AE 2010. She talked about how MAS media is always being too ''critical'' or ''demanding'' on LCW as the media always critised LCW for not winning the big '3'-Olympic, World and AE. She the said that she personally think it is unfair for the media to criticise LCW in such way as LCW did at least reached the final in AE and Olympics.
    And Gill's response was kinda funny when LCW won a back to back super series in Malaysia Open this year. She said something like: ''LCW was the most successful players in the history of SS and that will shut the critics up for doubting on LCW's ability to win a back to back SS titles''.:cool::D Another funny comment came from the recently concluded JO 2010. Rather than congratulating LCW on winning the Japan open, she said something like:''LCW has just won the JO 2010 against the Olympic Champion, that would shut up the critics who were questioning on LCW's ability against LD.'':D:D

Well, those comments really put a smile in my face. However, you could tell that Gill is not very happy with MAS media. Sometime I wonder what's the cause for the media to be so critical on the athletes. Was it lack of empathy? I might be wrong and I hope things will change for the better in the not too far in the future. It wouldn't be bad if LCW choose to train elsewhere like Nicole, perhaps he should consider China and stay away from the media?