2010 Commonwealth Games - Individual Events, Oct 11 to 14

Discussion in 'Commonwealth Games 2010 - Badminton' started by eaglehelang, Oct 8, 2010.

1. markchan

markchan Regular Member

Did you guys know that a similar serving controvesy happened during the bronze medal match between MAS and SIN but this time the advantage went to SIN (TC/YL) against CPS/GLY. But CPS put up his hand and didnt move his feet, yet the point was given to SIN and that was also at a crucial point. The MAS players protested but also to no avail.

And, it also happened during the MD final when TBH served to AC when he (AC) was not ready. The point was given to MAS but the English pair did not protest.

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    It's no use, the damage has been done and it has been allowed to carry on for a long time before I finally retaliated.

3. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Interesting... Does it mean the umpire's standard is below par?

4. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    For the first instance (XD Bronze Medal Match), Chan Peng Soon was within the boundaries of the law but the umpire made the decision otherwise. More importantly, the tournament referee did back him up, maybe in view of players doing too much gamesmanship these days by delaying the server. Anyway, it didn't affect the result.

As for the MD Final, the point was NOT GIVEN to Malaysia. Instead, a let was allowed but Anthony Clark was given a warning.

5. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

why retaliate then.. you are an 'older' guy if i am not mistaken (i am old too), just let it go, if its that long....... this is a badminton forum, lets just talk about badminton
    btw.. i really like that singaporean singles player who gave LCW a hard time during the team event .... dennis is his name? i hope we see him more (just to get back on track)

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    You see, sometimes you need to bring them back to their senses, otherwise they will continue to demean the citizens of my country and think they have a right to do so. I suspect you have not been following too much of the forum here and elsewhere, otherwise perhaps you will be more understanding of the situation.

Derek Wong is his name and he is the son of Singapore's ex-singles and SEA Games champion. Currently he and Ashton Chen are our best hopes.

7. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

haha thanks for sharing those sidenews, vp singh..
    u must be happy that india manage to get at least 2 golds in badminton..;)

8. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

oops sorry for the wrong name... yeah it was derek wong, i was impressed that time. i have not seen ashton chen yet. its about time singapore come back on the badminton spotlight big time. they actually have a good tradition in this sport... you should know, many of the old malaysian greats were actually from .. ehem..

Nope i do read this forums a lot... i do know what happen here sometimes.. but to put in perspective.. this is just basically an enhanced 'talk kok' forum thats all .. people sit on their computer read and interact.. its not a big deal..so if somebody does something not appropriate, and it affects my environment, i just prompt the specific poster . thats all (i rarely do that)... no need to get too heavy and involve politics . theres is always the mod if want to complain..

9. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

One thing I have observed about IND players is they have good self belief even when their abilities are not quite there yet. It's an asset in creating an upset.MAS players are the opposite. Even when their abilities are obvious, they lack self belief to win.

It's great to see IND win two gold medals. They deserve them. However disappointing it must be for WMC and SIN WD, it's no shame. They played well. WMC showed she still has it, her knees willing. If she tweaks her energy strategy a bit and works on her self belief, she can still upset SN in future if they meet early in SS.

But I'm glad SN won. It would have been more terrible for SN to lose as her gold also put IND ahead of ENG in the medal tally.

10. vpsingh

vpsingh Regular Member

The IT Guy
    Tickets prices varied from Rs. 200 to 1000. (I US$ = Rs. 50 approx.) Not much for people from Delhi. But by Indian standards, towards higher side. But then, even at those prices, in final days, hall was packed. I purchased lowest denomination tickets and the view was perfectly alright from those seats too.

#1110 vpsingh, Oct 15, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Pardon me ... let's not talk about the mod ... I'm in despair...

12. Dolphin

Dolphin Regular Member

Electronics Engineer, Transport Systems
    MODS! please do something. we don't want this forum to become a public arena for a slugging match between two people. thanks.

13. markchan

markchan Regular Member

Oops, my bad.....1k apologies.
    Come to think of it, it is a good way to put some kind of control on players' gamesmanship to rattle or break the opponents rythym. But hope they aplly it fairly across the board on all teams...

14. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Yup, fully agree :D

LOL, they seldom see people tie pony tail in that style over there? :p

Uncle, next time Spore get foreign talents, get cute looking ones like Chayut, not boring looking like Hendra/Hendri ;):D:D

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Let's not get too carried away and go off-topic from the intention of this thread

I agree with Dolphin; Let's not get too carried away and go off-topic from the intention of this thread.

16. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Unfortunately the Malaysian media are not pacified by just a decent performance without victory. Almost all the major papers here highlighted WMC's "underachievement". Obviously the reporters have never tried running back and forth on a badminton court for 70 minutes while carrying knee injuries. Grooming top achieving athletes here is definitely not possible.

17. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

That's sad to see. I feel dishearten that those papers did not even highlight her effort, which was the best in the MAS team(except Koo's hat-trick in CG). They could have shed some words of encouragement, no?
    I am just curious, why is MAS allowing all those people who obviously know the least about the sport to speak the loudest(including the NCS or NSC guys, can't rememeber)? Honestly, if WMC's effort is not appreciated, are there any more keen players willing to step in and play for their country?

At least out football players get paid millions other than having to accept criticism once in a while here.

#1117 lcleing, Oct 15, 2010
  18. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    Some of the points awarded on service when someone had there hand up were justified. In the Women's doubles final (I think, it was early in the morning so I was half asleep) one of the Singapore pair stood clearly ready, staring at the shuttle, with her hand up. This went on for 5 seconds or longer so the Indian pair served, and the umpire awarded the point to India. I think this was justified as the Singapore player was clearly ready and a non-badminton playing observer who did not know the hand up gesture (my mum) also agreed, thinking the Indian pair were wasting time and should serve faster...

Later on in a different final someone was looking at there shoe (I think Anthony Clark) when Malaysia served. This was a let, he was then given a warning as he had stared at his shoe for a very long time, yet didn't look ready (wasn't looking at the shuttle) when he had ample time to prepare. The umpire could not however award the point as he in no way looked ready to receive serve.

The tournament referee backed the umpire in these occasions as it was his decision, there isn't a rule regarding it specifically.

On the whole though I thought umpiring was sensible, a few close line calls that could have gone either way and one clear mis call that I saw but no consistent mess ups.

19. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    This is a problem that is unique to Malaysia, and not just relevant to badminton. This media/officials practice of bashing sportsmen and sportswomen hits practically every sport here, when expectations are not met. It doesn't matter if the expectations were sensible or not in the first place.

You name it, badminton, football, hockey, shooting, cycling, even lawn bowls (having failed at CWG) had been targeted before.

If you think WMC got it bad, our World Champion squash queen, Nicol David was not exempt either. Nicol got it pretty bad when she failed to land the Asian Games Gold in 2002, and she was only 19 then. Almost made her quit the sport totally, and only by moving her training base to Holland did she get to where she is now.

#1119 abedeng, Oct 15, 2010
  20. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    I concur with all your points. The commentators (Gillian Clark and Peter Blackburn) suggested that the Tournament Referee could have specified instructions to Umpires to be stricter against any approach to time wasting, which explains the decision of the South African Umpire against Chan Peng Soon in the XD Bronze Medal Match.

Ian Spear (the English Umpire officiating WD final match) followed the contention that if a player reacts in response to a serve, the rally is in play, even if she were to hold out her arm.