Australia says : "Games should not have gone to Delhi"

Discussion in 'Commonwealth Games 2010 - Badminton' started by Thom_bad, Sep 26, 2010.

1. lcleing

lcleing Regular Member

I won't be surprised. I remembered reading a new articles reporting that most of the people in India have it tough. I tried to dig out the news(it was from one of the Chinese press) but I can't find it anymore.

Most illerate women are forced to do labour work(building roads) under scorching hot sun in India. Pregnant women are not spared and they work, delivered the babies at the side of the road and continue working right after delivery(due to low paid). The children would have to work not too long after they learn how to walk, else they would probabbly die of hunger.

This issue of child labour behind commonwealth game is just the tip of iceberg. It had happened long time before and is still happening in South Asia. It's sad but what can you do? However, it's ironic to note that British go on strike from time to time(I am talking about you staff of British airway, stop hiding!) just because they believed their should get a higher paid. That leave me speechless, really.

2. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

thanks for sharing. I find it hard to swallow the facts that they are "hiring" under-aged kids to work at those construction sites for CWG. How could they (the authorities) allow this inhumane act to take place? For GOD sake, these kids are as young as age 5...??? I can't believe my eyes... God bless them (those kids)...

3. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    This is unfortunate but very common in India. Not that they actually "hire" kids (except kids who live by themselves - like the Slumdog Millionaire story), but mums and dads with kids had to bring them to work because there's no one to babysit the kids. In the culture where you don't eat if you don't work, there isn't much choice.

Most of these construction workers do not have proper homes and stay by the roadside in small tents where they work.

Count our blessings that we were not subjected to the same conditions when we were kids.

4. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    This is much the correct perspective, rather than the sensationalizing of some reporters and photojournalists who do what they do for their own living. Also, remember that the people who work as labourers have been doing so for generations; they need to keep their young ones close to them to watch over them. And they genuinely believe it's better for them to learn early, because they know of no other way to earn a living. Sad, but oh so true. Poverty and lack of education are siblings.

Poorer countries have had population issues not because of their libido. But because of the simple dictum that "many hands make light work" and they could only rely on their own family for ages, where feudalism and hunger would make animals of otherwise sane people.

Oh and BTW, I wouldn't believe that the organizing committee actually hired child labour. Some of them may be shrewd and self-serving, but not stupid.

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    There is child protection policy in India

Actually, there is child protection policy in India, as shown in this link;
    http://www.unicef.org/india/child_protection.html

But somehow, India is rather slow to implement this policy/program.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    thank you for sharing that information. now looking from a different perspective, i am seeing the issue in a totally different manner.

sometimes it is easy for us who live in prosperous countries with higher level of income and education to criticize others. however, when we start putting ourselves in other people's situation, we gain more understanding into why things are that way in other places, and start to realize that when one is poor, one don't necessarily do things out of choice, but for survival.

it is quite sad indeed.

7. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
  8. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

And now, monkeys come to the rescue:D:D..

‘Super Monkey’ security guards to chase away smaller simians

NEW DELHI: Delhi authorities are to deploy a contingent of langurs (pic) – a large type of monkey – at Commonwealth Games venues to help chase away smaller simians from the sporting extravaganza.
    From today 10 langurs will be put on duty outside several Games venues in the Indian capital, with the swimming complex seen as particularly vulnerable to monkey misbehaviour, an official said.
    [​IMG]
    The New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) has a regular team of 28 langurs which are used to scare away their weaker brethren in VIP areas of the city.
    “From tomorrow onwards we will increase the number of langurs from 28 to 38. The additional langurs will take care of the Games venues and other important areas,” an NDMC official told the Press Trust of India news agency.
    Animals have so far posed major headaches for the under-fire organisers, with stray dogs found in venues and a snake captured at the tennis complex.
    Monkeys are a common sight in the verdant Indian capital, where they routinely scamper through government offices, courts and even police stations and hospitals.
    In 2007, the deputy mayor of New Delhi died from a fatal fall after being attacked by a group on the terrace of his home. — AFP

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2010/9/29/sports/7121237&sec=sports

9. vpsingh

vpsingh Regular Member

The IT Guy
    Photos on child labour at CWG sites

The CWG Village and at least 4 stadiums lie in the route from my home to my workplace. And I am yet to see a child working in any place. Labourers are poor and they take their kids with them when they are working. The pictures you see are kids playing in sand (like any small kid wants to do, play in dirt). They are not working - no matter how hard the cameramen tried making it look that way. The photos where you actually see kids working are not from CWG places. I doubt if they are from Delhi itself. There are loads of cases of children working in construction industry and other, but no one would dare to do that in Delhi. Police is strict, media is stricter.
    There is lot of mismanagement and negative publicity about these games. But I hate to see this being dragged to such level by some media. Just because one event could not be arranged in a proper manner does not mean everything related to that country is poor and a-la 18th century:mad:. Actually such news and talks remind me how much prejudice and narrow-minded people could be while discussing alien culture. But believe me, even if you show me photos, I will not think every Chinese practice Kung Fu and eat only noodles and rides bicycle. :)

10. vpsingh

vpsingh Regular Member

The IT Guy
    Believe me they are the most effective (apart from shooting) and humane way to counter monkeys:). And yes, we have monkeys in India. In fact India is amongst the 12 most bio-diverse country in world (source WWF).

11. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    are these monkeys usually very dangerous ?

12. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

What do they meant by smaller simians? India got a lot?:confused:

13. vpsingh

vpsingh Regular Member

The IT Guy
    Smaller simians - smaller monkeys - usually red faced, hostile when in groups, very mischievous and smart (they know it is easy to target kids and stupid to target a grown male human), small scale performer tame them for show (illegal). Migrate towards cities because they can get food easier in trash dumps and human localties compared to ever shrinking forests.
    Langurs - larger black faced and long tailed, friendlier towards human, don't allow other kinds of monkeys in their areas - so good if you want to drive red faced monkeys. Mentioned in Hindu mythology epic of Ramayana where they helped Lord Rama (so revered by Hindus).
    Delhi has two wooded areas (not big enough to be called forests) inside its boundaries, which are host to many kind of animals - monkeys, deers, foxes, reptiles. I have lived 20 years in Delhi, never seen anything apart from a gang of lost monkey.:D

14. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    and we Europeans are scared when seing a small spyder...

15. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    And this is indeed what forums should be used for: to foster understanding, rather than create divisiveness! Kudos to you, Kwun! :)

16. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Shame on you ....... wakakakaka. You really need to experience India then, Georgie and limsy too.

India is a decent place as long as you are able to adapt to it.

But not the traffic, of course. That would remain a nightmare for quite a long while yet.

17. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    ways different from Paris/Montrouge, right ? :D:D

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

thank you for sharing those infos, vpsingh! as i know you live there and actually seen what's going on, personally, i could take your comments as the reality. I have the same feeling also abt the report.

19. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Wasn't much of a challenge, travelling to Paris ..... except the travelling time from Kuala Lumpur.

But exposing yourself to India will make a man out of you .... :p But hey, we are moving out of topic.

The Australia Olympic Committee President could have been more tactful when talking to the press. Besides, he never had first hand experience of the issues in place, since he didn't travel with the advance party to Delhi. There may have been some stereotyping in his statement, due to cultural differences.

Similarly, the statement from the general-secretary of the Organizing Committee about his acceptable hygiene standards being different from the visitors was downright insulting to his nation.

Sure Indian decision-makers moved slowly like a glacier blocked by a mountain, but now they have been exposed to flaming heat and will come the wiser from it.

20. gemini12

gemini12 Regular Member

I believe that India could organise the game well. At the moment they are doing their level best with whatever resources they have and they did make all the visitors and participant feel welcomeand at home. I believe the game will be a success. Bravo India