Wilson Badminton Racquets

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by geokos, Jan 30, 2010.

1. sidux

sidux New Member

i bought the same racket online for 125 dollars here in US.. ..this american racket costs half its price in asia... can anyone explain why it is so

2. Erique

Erique Regular Member

Yoppy how's your BLX Vertex hanging on? especially the durability issue. Which one is stiffer, Recon or Vertex?

3. bslee

bslee New Member

Self Employed
    Maybe its due to Manufacturing places.. I heard there are 2 place that manufacture it, UK and CHINA. Maybe you got an UK made.

4. strada

strada Regular Member

undergraduate student
    just bought a brand new jet blx for rm250..strung it with yonex bg66 @ 27.5lbs.. can't wait to test it tomorrow...

5. strada

strada Regular Member

undergraduate student
    honestly, i dont know how to write a racket review..i haven't tried much of the racket available in the market..so i can only compare this racket with my old RSL heat 7320, wilson kfactor kblaze and prince triple threat. technical specs are as follows: 4uG5, strung with yonex bg66 @ 27.5lbs. BP is 29.3cm (according to factory spec) but i dont measure the exact BP after stringing.

when i hold the racket, i think it feels like gosen ryoga issen..it feels i little bit heavy towards the head but yet the wole racket feels light and solid. power wise, it is undoubtedly very powerful racket. i can feel more power in my smashes when using this racket compared to my heat7320 and kblaze. i think the shaft is quite stiff (not very stiff though), so i think control is quite good as well as netplay. defense wise, due to its light weight, you can control this racket easily. badmintonalley.com stated that this racket is wilson's answer to the yonex at900p. but i can never confirm that since i have never tried at900p. however, compared to my RSL heat 7320 and kblaze, this one is exceptionally at a higher level even though i need some times to adapt with this racket.

overall, i think this is a very good buy and i really love this racket. it is indeed a very good replacement for my broken RSL. considering between the price and performance, i think this racket will worth every money you spend. i would suggest this racket to all around player with offensive minded. single or double? im not sure..probably more suitable for doubles...

6. renxozuken

renxozuken New Member

i just got my blx recon, stringed with bg66 at 28lbs.
    will try it in 20hrs time..
    first time using wilson racquet. really excited.
    will let you guys know the status.

7. sidux

sidux New Member

i had bought a Wilson Wave BLX around 2 months back from badmintonavenue.com. Stringed with nanogy N95 at 22 pound tension. I mostly play singles and had no clashes or bad hits. And one fine day it cracked on its own while I was smashing. I suspect the basalt material is not not all that perfect to what it is advertised for.

The site owners asked me to send back the racket for exchange or refund. I am unsure what will happen. Pics are attached.

Attached Files:

8. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

This is the second one in the week that i saw broken Wilson racket

9. DannyMorello

DannyMorello Regular Member

Clerk
    RM250 for wilson jet blx is quite expensive.. but still wilson rackets is worth the money u spend..

10. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    bro, wow!! u guys are really wilson fans...i am totaly new in wilson range..

do you have any idea how wilson racket were rated based on RACQUET SEGMENTATION.
    how new BLX racket were rated at control & power player...

1)my thought were heavy head (above 29cm) would fall under power player and light head (below 28cm) would fall under control player..,,what u think?
    2)also were length 670mm mean its has shorter shaft and 674mm have longer shaft due to shorter handle...correct me if i am wrong..

11. geokos

geokos Regular Member

yurimaster2010, you can go to the wilson website www.wilson.com and check for racquet segmentation in the badminton racquet link......

12. yurimaster2010

Consultant
    pal,
    i ve checkout the website and my doubt as below:-

do you have any idea how wilson racket were rated based on RACQUET SEGMENTATION.
    how new BLX racket were rated at control & power player...

1)my thought were heavy head (above 29cm) would fall under power player and light head (below 28cm) would fall under control player..,,what u think?
    2)also were length 670mm mean its has shorter shaft and 674mm have longer shaft due to shorter handle...correct me if i am wrong..

13. geokos

geokos Regular Member

Hope I have understood your question right.....here are my views;
    1) as per my understanding also heavy heavy means power play and light head for control
    2) when you keep the 670mm and 674 mm racquets you will notice that the size of the handle and head of racquets match. The length of the shaft is different. so the shaft length varies for a 670mm and 674mm.

Hope I have answered to your satisfaction......other members make correct me if I am wrong.....

14. yurimaster2010

Consultant

basically ur understanding are same as mine..so looks like the wilson racket chart is not accurately define...i doubt their technology and engineering feature now...:confused:

15. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I think as far as specs are concern, Wilson is quite accurate. Do you have anything that suggest otherwise?

16. yurimaster2010

Consultant
    bro,
    have u take a look on the racket chart from wilson?
    which wilson racket were rated based on RACQUET SEGMENTATION.

any basic idea from ur mind how they rate control and power from its charts?

17. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I see, i know what you mean now.

Although most of the time your theory would apply perfectly correct, however IMO head heavy does not always translate to power play, you can take AT900T for example, while its a head heavy racket but its one of the fastest racket around really2 for for control and defence. It was possible to achieve using an aerodinamic frame as to compare to box frame on the AT900P.

Another example for Wilson will be the comparison between The "recon" and the "vertex". The vertex is head heavier but overall is 2g lighter than the "recon", therefore perhaps after testing Wilson decide to market vertex as a double racket. They could also take into account the stiffness of the racket (although its not properly explain on the web site).

18. neonataku

neonataku Regular Member

Mobile App QA
    How is the BLX holding up? Is it as brittle as the Wave? I am planning to trade up from a Ti-Smash to the BLX Jet. Would you recommend this to a beginner->intermediate player who is looking for power and net play?

19. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Just by looking at the chart it seems quite obvious that Wilson don't have a clue about badminton :D :D. they probably just put some of their tennis trademarks into it and then let an oem mock up some rackets for them :) .. Pretty sad story.. imop.. It seems to me like a tennis comapny that has the kind of reasoning thet "well, we are into racket making so why not just produce some badminton rackets using the marketing and channels already there for our tennis gear.. Wilson really doesnt seem to put any dedicated effort inte badminton (apart from marketing sponsorship), little or no badminton specifi r&d it seems like, just re-use of their tennis efforts.

/Twobeer

20. lhkjacky

lhkjacky Regular Member

Student
    Hi All,

Thanks Yoppy,
    Finally, I just got my BLX Vertex today.
    Wilson BLX Vertex.jpg
    It is the most beautiful racket I have ever used.

Just try i few hit at home, the feel is quite good.
    Not too head heavy and speed is quite fast.
    The shaft is medium flex but feel as stiff as my old AT800of.
    Want to test it in the court immediately, but have to wait until coming Saturday.