How Do We Define A Good Coach?

Discussion in 'Coaching Forum' started by pBmMalaysia, Dec 19, 2009.

1. elvinteh

elvinteh Regular Member

factory
    hahahaha, it would be happy to be like that.
    All those shirt is for free to all student, anyway not all student want to be like Chong Wei, some pay more and some pay less, enough to cover the cost lah.

2. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    in this thread we are suppose to follow 'how do we define a good coach?'

can we say this, a good coach must be generous to the fees received?

i don't think that is fair, my friend, we do charity once in a while but hopefully not every time. but luckily most of your trainees can afford ....

3. Azianhero

Azianhero Regular Member

hmmm interesting, my definition of a good coach is patience. I think patience is the the first foundation into coaching because i've worked with many coaches before and i've only had one coach whos taught me that patience is the key. Most high performance coaches will say "just do it" and maybe they'll show u it a couple times but they won't guide you through it. Also a good coach in my dictionary would be breaking down step by step. No one is going to know what the hell your saying or doing cause everyone learns differently. Kind of like how people are kinetic, visual, or some other type of learning ability that people can learn from. People like to feel to learn, like to smell, etc. Lastly i would say a good coach would be understanding their students. Understand how they think, what their determination is like, maybe background history would be nice too just so you know if you say or do something wrong. I think achievements don't have to be a huge factor to be a good coach cause my coach didn't achieve much (i think) and hes produced good players and myself which i think im okay. But its not the coach that is achieving, its the individual that is and the results matter more than a coaches background.

4. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    yes, patience must be there as everybody learn differently and one example is breaking up complex drills and letting them learn/absorb in 2 to 3 sessions rather than in one.
    however, if the class is full of very playful trainees then the coach has to look for other alternatives! like goal setting as the coach will know where they are heading!
    as for coaches background his or her coaching method and approach is more important than that!:D

thanks for your contributions!:)

5. Mikael

Mikael Regular Member

Business
    Good points, for the above quotation, do you think in terms of NLP?

6. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Thank you for your sharing. I agree alot with your post and enjoyed this very matured perspective.

The topic of Good Coach is very vague as the definition of a 'real coach' crosses the boundaries with the functions of others like 'manager', 'trainer', 'performance director' and so on much like you have mentioned and at the same time it is much too much to ask from a single individual.

the occupation of 'coaches' can not only be categorized by level (e.g. beginer, development, elite, national, etc) but also in function (technical, motivational, tactical, physical, mental & etc).

Often as you mentioned these individuals will go out grasping on to every single player they 'produced' all the way to the players 'sport grave' with the coach's glory ultimately prioritized.

Some coaches may even try 'pick up young children' and take them in as their own so to fulfill their personal insecurities that no one will doubt that 'the player's achievement is 100% the coaches doing'.

1 thing i would like to add is that a Good coach does not 'Milk their Players' for personal glory. Especially development coaches dealing with younger aged players in regards to the players health for short term achievement.

And regarding the formula which some are discussing, please note that the material a coach has to workwith has both tangible and intangible factors.

7. Jameschan5

Jameschan5 Regular Member

Engineer
    I have once coach by a China coach in my secondary school, it's a part of school co-operation program with the professional coach to improve school level players skills. Some sharing knowledge from the China coach that most national players are determined by 80~90% of talent and 10~20% from their own hard work...

Therefore, the good coach main duty is to assist the player to bring out their hidden talent. Physical, discipline & technical is the easiest and the most basic part of the coaching. The hardest parts is mentality and tactical coaching that forms the player mindset and the wills in a competition.

For an example, when Taufik drag down some big shark in many tournament in his young age, his skills are not even as good as his opponents. What makes him difference? He has been explain by many coach that he is a smart guy with excellent tactical knowledge and high mentality control.

Tonnes of players can have excellent physical and technical skills, but how many can success in their career? And how many coach realize that growth of the player mind is more crucial than the technical skills itself. This is my personal opinion how coach means to a players...

8. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    yes, james what you have said is from your experience

a player himself forms part of the equation..

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Is it possible to be a good coach without producing results?
    I have observed and talked with both involved and independent coaches re the performance of contract coaches to badminton sports centres.
    A large Jockey Club and another organization own and finance a badminton sports centre and they have 3 contract resident coaches, one of them a former Chinese player and ex-China coach. Over time of a few years the JC sports centre saw its students count dropping. To redress this and still retain some of the contract coaches, the sports centre asked a younger former Chinese player and ex-Hong Kong champion to provide separate coaching lessons. After a few months student enrolments increased substantially.
    Obviously this increase in enrolment is due to the new coach. I also talked to another former HK player who is an independent coach and asked him the real reason.
    He explained in one simple answer : results. The enrolment increased because the students under the new coach started winning tournaments of all grades. Prior to that the contract coaches did not have any successful "end-products" for all to see. Parents of the students will then spread the word around and start grading the coaches. No results, the parents will contribute to your downfall. I have been guilty of this "parents" performance evaluation of coaches network myself without realizing it, by recommending and not recommending certain various coaches.

10. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    yes, parents are very 'influential'

in your case, i see its ok because of the results

other cases, may not

and will cause the downfall of a player if parents make the wrong decisions..

#70 pBmMalaysia, Jun 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  11. Jameschan5

Jameschan5 Regular Member

Engineer
    I second your statement, this situation really might cause some downfall of the talented players...
    Sports today really came to typical commercialization rather than an healthy sports for talents and sake of love for badminton...
    Lots of academy didn't even bother to hire qualify coach but only think how to attract more players...

12. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    being a coach is not easy

needs a lot of patience when dealing with parents

however, a second opinion is always a right decision

where correction needs to be done

must be done

for the sake of the players

13. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

2 groups of supporters came to watch the final, A vs B.

Coach A = We need to support our players to succeed

Coach B = The only real support My player need is his Underwear to win!

Which one is the better coach???

14. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    coach a thinks his players do not have enough confidence

thus he is not a good coach, he forgot about mental training

coach b regrets he told his players to come without underwear

among the 2, he can be considered a good coach

if he is willing to share his underwear

#74 pBmMalaysia, Jul 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  15. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

rofl. cute answer. I think u misunderstood my coach B on purpose.

Sure his player got wear underwear. Because his player is a 'complete & prepared' player ;)

16. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    ya coach b is correct

can share underwear one

with his one and only underwear

what else can the players want