California Badminton Academy exclusive preview

Discussion in 'California Badminton Academy ( CBA )' started by kwun, Apr 21, 2010.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i just want to point out that the style of floor Bintang uses is pretty standard for Super Series events. when faced with a concrete flooring in a stadium, BWF will put in a suspended floor layer with wooden plywood top, and then put Yonex mat. while the bintang implementation may not be the perfect one, it is modeled after the world events ones.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    here is a data point for the CBA flooring. many have asked how thick it is. Rose gave me a sample of the floor material that was used in CBA, i measured it with my digital caliper to be 10.13mm.

compared to:

GGBC1, BBC1/2/3: 11mm
    GGBC2: 9mm

i think in terms of material thickness, they are all comparable. GGBC/BBC in general gets pretty good reviews for their floor.

Attached Files:

3. badminteniss

badminteniss Regular Member

Yeah, two of us briefly talked to Rose after our games yesterday. We suggested on behalf of our little circle of 10 to 15 folks to Rose to modify 1 to 3 courts with more paddings for "seniors". And depending how popular the modified courts are, she can decide to expand them or not. We don't have a commitment from her however. Rose says the current padding is consistent with most good court standard, and in addition adding more padding will cost more. I don't know what else I can do to push for this.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i was informed that BBC and GGBC1 has 11mm flooring, GGBC2 has 9mm.

i corrected my post accordingly.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i asked Rose yesterday. she told me the lowest point of the roof (near the wall) is 32ft. the highest point is 35ft.

we had a few very steep and high lifts yesterday during our games, and we didn't get close to touching the roof.

6. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

Hey Kwun, I have about a min of footage of you playing yesterday. I missed the point blank net kill you missed :X

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    *sniff sniff* with envy

8. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

i'll post a video later with a full review. Initial impressions: great gym! There are of course places for improvement but the flooring is great, and the lighting is bright but not blinding. The things the gym could improve on: a middle barrier. Playing on the inside is a lot "easier" to see the shuttle than playing on the outside. You get used to it after a few points but it would be nice to see a barrier. The seating was very limited. I would recommend benches between the courts closer to the entrance side. The lawn/patio chairs were nice, but sparse compared to the number of people in attendance. It was a soft opening so there wasnt a queuing system set up yet.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    here is my review after playing there for nearly 4 hours. with less than an hour of rest in between. the duration of my play there is a good tests as that's the longer than typical length that i usually stay at a gym in the evening. my comments are my personal opinion and only reflects my personal preferences so YMMV.

flooring surface:

rating: EXELLENT

many have mentioned and I have experienced that the surface is very grippy. i personally like grippy surfaces and i like it. the grippiness is higher than the Pulastic surfaces used in GGBC/BBC. but personally i am also ok with the Pulastic surface also. i like grippy surfaces as i don't have very good footwork nor leg strength and prefer to always have a solid interface to the ground. i absolutely cannot play on dusty wood surfaces.

flooring padding:

rating: VERY GOOD

in old Smashcity, if i play more than 2-3 hours my knees will start talking to me. i am sure that wasn't the case 10yrs ago but my knees today's isn't what they used to be. in CBA, after playing for 3+ hours, my knees are still fine. therefore the CBA flooring gets my approval.

overall, i personally felt very comfortable with the surface, the surface feels lively. the complain about Bintang Campbell is that the surface don't feel as lively, i personally feel that Bintang Campbell is still within good limit. the worse is the UBC surface which saps away a lot of energy. CBA is lively and i feel a lot of synergy with it. Bintang/UBC are softer so there is a tradeoff that one must take.

ceiling height:

rating: EXCELLENT

the ceiling height is 32ft to 35ft. we had a few very steep and high lifts and none of them hit the roof.

lighting:

rating: GOOD

i have a mixed rating on the lighting. firstly the good side. the lighting is very constant with T5 fluorescent light, they produce non-flickering lighting and the overhead lighting on the sides didn't bother me. i think mainly because they are so high up. they are extremely bright (brightest in the bay area from my measurement).

the bad side is that if one look from the wall side to the middle, the visibility is not good. it was difficult to see the shuttle from that direction. GGBC1 fixed this problem with a curtain placed between the courts and the result was excellent. we have made that suggestion to Rose and she acknowledged it.

if that is fixed, then the rating will go up to EXCELLENT.

10. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

Why didn't you invite me kwun? *sniff*

11. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    agree on the barrier.

and yes, i forgot to mention the patio chairs. they are great as they provide really nice seating in between games. i really enjoyed sitting in one yesterday. it also looks really good as the color contrasts and complement the mostly green color scheme of the gym. double/triple the number of patio chairs will be great. they are pretty cheap anyway.

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i don't know you still play badminton... ?

13. Joseph

Joseph Regular Member

I'm trying to start playing again more actually. After my long hiatus from badminton, I've slowly started to play more. :D

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    two pano from the pre-opening day

Attached Files:

15. shreky

shreky Regular Member

lol .... a senior's only court??? ..... isn't that age discrimination???

16. tecdecs

tecdecs Regular Member

high schooler
    Thanks for asking wow AMAZING im hoping they ll host some BIG tournaments there beside the team competition 1st weekend of june.

17. nkiattin

nkiattin Regular Member

LAN Admin
    How about having a single only court? The only place that offers that is Bintang Sunnyvale. Thank you Phu for doing that. We single players are treated like red-headed step-child in most locations, no offense to red-headed step-children. :)

18. vtqanh

vtqanh Regular Member

Yes, I second this! I love playing singles and everytime I refuse to play a double game because I prefer playing single, people look at me with unpleasant eyes

19. WelshT

WelshT Regular Member

Business System Analyst
    Yes, please add a singles challenge court.

20. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

The 3 challenge courts are actually both for singles or doubles.