My God I am speechless.

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2010' started by badders2006, May 14, 2010.

1. badders2006

badders2006 Regular Member

LD had alot to prove today, with his failure to defend his AO and LCW beginning to be considered by many as the new numero uno in this sport.

That performance by LD, particularly in the 2nd set, at least matches the other-worldly standard shown in the OG final. For heaven's sake, LD reached a point where he was just actually toying with the next best player on the planet, playing shots which can only be considered as showboating in the professional arena.

What astounds me is that LD is able to reach this level of understanding and "one-ness" similar to Neo in the Matrix. He doesn't need to think, he doesn't need to try. It is a state where he literally just "goes with the flow". It is a natural and is reached by way of progression through the lower gears, which do require conscious focus and concentration.

He starts to see things other people can't - in this case, the exact next shot that LCW will play, and his precision, movement, and decision making reach a state of nirvana that truly trescends the world-class badminton we are accustomed to seeing.

On the biggest stage, on the grandest occasion, where most is at stake, he really does become the God of Badminton.

#1 badders2006, May 14, 2010
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
  2. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    You bet?

simply no words.

3. ricksakti

ricksakti Regular Member

Surgeon
    indeed indeed inded

4. alexyong

alexyong Regular Member

The God of Badminton is back

5. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    xtremely powerful display by Lin Dan... I think he is the best ever badminton player in the world...

6. AurorAX

AurorAX Regular Member

Biotech Sales / Marketing
    Don't know about ever. But for now, definitely!!

7. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Lin Dan, of course is having ups and downs too. And you might be watching him to lose to Kenichi Tago ( once again?! ) in future. I mean, who can tell?
    Today he's just adorable. But I would prefer if they will less exaggerate. He's not God. He is human, and for that, he is flawed, too.

8. ccskaki

ccskaki Regular Member

Actually I think it's just that LCW has a mental blockage when he goes against LD.

Occasionally he overcomes the mental blockage. But other times it's quite obvious. LCW is not his usual self when he faces LD.

See, LD needs to put up a great fight to beat other good players (Peter Gade, Park, Taufik), sometimes going into the 3rd game, with just a few points ahead. LCW can confidently beat the other good players too. But when LD faces LCW, it's like he's beating just an opponent in the 1st or 2nd round of a tournament. It's because LCW most of the time simply couldn't perform at his usual level when he is up against LD.

9. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Imagine if Denmark had went against China... :(

10. badders2006

Actually, LD is a very "efficient" player (to the point of lazy) against 1st or 2nd rd opponents - he doesn't do any more than necessary to win. So as a result of staying in 1st gear he will typically win with unspectacular scorelines such as 21-18, 21-16 or something like that. Of course, he could be consistently destroying lesser opponents 21-7, 21-7 if he wanted to.

Against LCW, LD tries to the point where he is maxing out his game, to the point where we see this "matrix" level mentioned above. LD knows he can't take the risk of trying any less, such is the strength of LCW's game.

Whatever the reason is, LCW well and truly brings out the best of LD :)

11. Siegfried_Li

Siegfried_Li Regular Member

Science
    That's LinDan's style and standard. If he wants, he can create the environment that you don't know how to play "with the level that you can reach when playing other players" and after the match you find "well, I played nothing and he won the match".

Something like "LCW is not the usual LCW" is just an excuse. When LD plays XX, XX is not the XX when playing other guys. LD will not let you play in your tempo, in your rhythm, in your style, if he wants.

12. Siegfried_Li

Siegfried_Li Regular Member

Science
    IMO, both LCWs in OG2008Final and tonight are true LCWs.

13. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    LD has never lost to Tago as far as I know..

The thing is that LCW still lets LD control the game.. LCW is so confident giving up the control as none of the other world-class players can penetrate his defence.. A motivated Lin Dan is another beast however.. LCW just cannot give LD the control, LD just have a so much stronger attacking game than any other player when he goes all out..

I am worried what this will do to LCWs confidence.. when he once again gets stomped on the big occastion.. Good thing is that he will probably train even harder now!!

Hopefully he will build some more exposive muscles, and Switch to Li-Ning racket :)

/Twobeer

14. wilcan

wilcan Regular Member

student
    when LCW play other world top players..he look like a king of badminton
    but when LCW play LD..LD look like god of badminton
    i hope this LD wont appear in final..TH semangat!!!

15. badders2006

16. crusher

crusher Regular Member

Very well said. LD was out of this world today

17. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Regular Member

Student
    I think Denmark would have performed better.Malaysia just seemed like they were facing a dead end.I don't think playing at home is good.Too much pressure :(

18. markchan

markchan Regular Member

I think you hit the nail on the head. LD is a showman and he loves the big stage, the bigger the better (eg.what could be bigger than the OG?). It always brings out the "badminton God" in him and he becomes like what you said - as Neo in Matrix. He is so fast that he probably could have dodged a few bullets in the middle of the game!!
    Notice how at the end of the match he practically torn of his T shirt, looking for somewhere to throw it and then showing of his 6 packs and saluting the full house crowd. He knows he has won the crowd over with his scintillating display of flawless badminton tonite!
    Fact is fact - LCW was always step slower tonight. We have no complaints losing to the better player for the nite.

19. hcpoirot

hcpoirot Regular Member

I think LD still hungry of another Olympic gold. Thats why after a lackluster performance in AE 2010 and Swiss Open 2010, he proving himself one again why he is the best for the moment.

20. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Amazing performance by LD, but LCW played like LD from 04-06... winning many many tournaments and getting the deserved no.1 spot but stumbled on the big occasions.