BAC 2010 - The Guinea Pig Event

Discussion in 'Asian / European Championships 2010' started by abedeng, Apr 16, 2010.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

what can i say..

..but i'm still a bit in awe of your decision to go ahead and fly all the way out there just to experience those "challenges"..?!?!..:confused::p

Btw, was the hall that sparse on the Finals Day??..

*thanks for sharing the pics..

2. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    i think your pictures are more than the spectators during the finals!

3. Sealman

Sealman Regular Member

Racquet Collector
    abedeng, you're my hero :D

wonder if India can finish the works in time for the Commonwealth Games...

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..oh yeah, i wanted to mention that as well as i've read through some news that they are in sort of a crunch to finish up & get the venues ready..:p

5. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Err, as a resident of the, ahem, undeveloped Third World, I believe I should support other Third World countries as well. Besides, I would not be going to the Commonwealth Games, so this is my only chance to participate in the Test and give some feedback (via avataar and Davey, who should be able to convey to the Indian CWG Organization or via the press).

The Organization must look into foreign spectators' expectations and convenience, which I think is very much lacking. Most of them will be bringing backpacks and no way in hell will they expect to leave valuable cargo behind. People like Kwun, Sealman and Loh would be forced to donate their bazookas and tripods and we would be left with grainy pics from mobile phone cameras.

As for spectator numbers, this is where the presence of Lin Dan salvages things somewhat. The arena was actually around 50-60 percent full during matches, especially in his match where even our premium area is quite well populated.

So we should be thankful that the right Lin Dan came out to play and not resort to charity or stomach upset excuses ...... :p even if he doesn't need to go above 5th gear. As far as I am concerned, Lin Dan deserves credit for making this, err, Test a success (given the failure of both Taufik and Saina Nehwal).

Firsthand information from avataar (who has volunteered his services to CWG DG - who is also the BAI president) is that they will do up the facilities of the venue that need to be usable. Of course, the definition of what "needs to be usable" is up to your imagination. Obviously the CWG Committee's expectation is not too high and hopefully there are no major complaints come the Games. The Delhi Chief Minister herself has committed that all the necessary facilities will be up on time.

Other non-essential facilities may be degraded or not available at all. This may also include public transportation upgrades (highways, extension of Metro system), so foreigners have to start getting friendly with, ahem, antiquated taxis and auto-rickshaws.

6. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    We were within tobacco spitting distance of him. :p Unfortunately, tobacco for chewing is part of the list of banned items into the arena ..... wakakakaka.

7. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Nice pics... I wonder if it's appopriate to call the BAC a "Test Event"... sound a bit insulting to the BAC players...

8. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Calling it a Test Event of the Commonwealth Games would probably have been more glamourous if the whole facility itself is ready and not still in the stages of being built. An incomplete building is probably not yet rated for fire inspection and building structure integrity.

Forget players, even fans might not want to be associated with this.

But I wish the organizers had at least incorporated what was available at Gachibowli last year (for India Open and World Championships), especially where the security and food planning were more practical and with more variety (for the food, that is). And premium ticket holders get some food vouchers. That would be a decent start.

9. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    The Flight Home

Sometimes, underestimating oneself brings disruption to travel plans. The Malaysian team did not manage to return to KL with me on Sunday night, because the flight was full. Didn't think they were going to be there till the final, obviously. :p

Anyway, while waiting for my flight, mingled with some of the Korean players who were returning via Hong Kong. Hwang Ji Man, Han Sang Hoon, Yoo Yeon Seong and a few of their younger WD girls had coffee close to me (sorry, no pics, Korean request). Gave me the opportunity to finish off the last of my Rupees.

Delhi airport was pretty much congested at night, and my flight had to stay on tarmac an additional 50 minutes because of boarding and runway congestion issues. Was late to office by an hour because of this.

10. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Among The Fans .....

...... of all the respective countries, I must give the highest of credits to Chinese Taipei's group. They were seated at the Premium Area (just in front and to our left) and gave their all.

Even when Harry Potter and the two semi-retired WD aunties lost their matches, the TPE fans stayed along to applaud them during prize presentation. Likewise, the players acknowledged the fans and threw souvenirs at them.

A totally different scenario from the shameful incident in 2008 BAC when unruly fans threw stuff at Koo Kien Kiat and Tan Boon Heong after their semifinal defeat.

11. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    hehe
    that is the different between cilvillized
    and uncivilized;)
    only lee chong wei like to play in malaysia because he always win
    lol

12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

:p...fly all the way out there & on the return trip had to endure another 50 minutes stay on the tarmac??..that pretty much sums up your dedication..:eek:
    ..reminiscent and reflective of this BC forum and the many colorful M'sian BCers??..:confused::eek::p

#32 ctjcad, Apr 20, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  13. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Yeah, well I am too high up in the hierarchy to be having problems for coming late to the office. :D

Of course, the trade-off for that flexibility is that I am supposed to be contactable and respond to all emails timely at all times. :crying:

14. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

What if he always lose?

15. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    he will feel like others like ceh,wpt or koo/tan;)

16. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    if he always lost in malaysia he will always win outside malaysia:D:D

17. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    My Biggest Disappointment ......

....... of the event management is that I could not make use of binoculars. :crying:

Imagine travelling 2500 miles with binoculars in tow, and not being able to bring it in to follow the, err, curves of Kurihara, Maeda, WKW, GLY and a few cute Korean girls at close range. :p Goodness, what can a pair of binoculars do as a weapon of mass destruction?

They don't even have Djarum or Proton equivalent girls ...... :eek:

18. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

The conclusion is: Not every place that you go will have bird watching feature:D

19. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    i wonder why cooler is not around this time to give some of his, ehem, poost..

20. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Bird watching is not for you George, you're too, err, old ..... :p For the rest of us, it is essential. :D

This feature was supposed to be available, but put to the most stringent "Test List" by the Indian Security Forces, as part of their "training" for Commonwealth Games.