Wilson Badminton Racquets

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by geokos, Jan 30, 2010.

1. geokos

geokos Regular Member

Guys.....can anyone explain me the balance point in a racquet ......what is its relation with head heavy,light and even balance.....

2. OliverHH

OliverHH Regular Member

Student
  3. geokos

geokos Regular Member

thanks oliver....

4. man10681

man10681 Regular Member

i bought wilson wave blx 3 days ago (in malaysia rm235 about usd73),the wave blx replace kfactor klite bcoz of its lightweight, its a bit soft for me coz its the most flexible of the blx model, the racket do feel more head heavy than even balance n u cn still generate quite a decent amt of power out of it n defense is good, i can't really compare with any other racket as i dont hv a racket that is light n flexible (most of my rackets are quite stiff and in the 3u range),my arcsaber008 and tantrum200 cn generate more power. but this wave blx strike the balance btween offense n defense

also had a swing with the recon blx (gold chrome color,feel very2 solid,probably due to its weight-89g),jet blx (red chrome color,does feel like the closest version to the 4UG5 armortec900p),and matrix blx (one of the entry level for blx model)

couldn't find vertex blx (jonas rasmussen racket replacement for his kfactor kbrave) but most of the blx models are a beauty

5. geokos

geokos Regular Member

that's a good review that you have given on the BLX range...

6. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Againts the odd, I decided to get the Vertex LBX. Its on the way and i cant wait to test it.

7. bluecraze07

bluecraze07 Regular Member

Can't wait to hear from you. I am interested in this racket.

8. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Review on Vertex BLX

Just received the racket from BCer this week and got a chance to test it last nite. So here is what i think about the racket.
    Built and Design quality: This is the best looking Wilson racket i ever seen. And its different from what Yonex & LiNing have in their mind in regards to paint job. I think Wilson was inspired more from Carlton Vapour series. Also the shaft was built right to the end of the handle, and the shaft is actually made visible from the cap bottom by a transparant plastic cap. Overall my quite happy with the design.
    Specs accuracy: By measurement it weights 85g which is on the lower end of the stated weight of 85-89g, just perfect since i prefer a lighter racket. Later testing I can say that the flex and BP are also consistent with the spec written.
    Playability: Although the racket was strung below tension of my liking, at first i instantly felt that this racket is very solid. I really think that its due to the shaft design, it reduces vibration which very common in a light weight racket. BP was stated 290mm (the same as Carlton VTT) but it feels almost like a balance racket. It can help me generate power for smash, no problem. The only this its a bit lacking is speed and movement, i feel that its not as fast as NS9900 or Carlton VTT. I would say its between NS9900 and AT900T.
    Overall: This is an exellent racket for doubles especially but also good enough for single. As far as i know, it by miles the best Wilson ever made, the only thing still i my mind is the durability issue. I hope this can last a lot longer. If previously I ranked Wilson 3rd tier, I would say this BLX is surely very close to top end YY and LN rackets.

Cheers ;)

9. man10681

man10681 Regular Member

hi yoppy

same issue here with my wave blx

for its weight (stated 81g) i'm quite suprise that it can generate power close to those of heavier weight and frame. but it lack the control and solid feeling overall,even my tantrum 200 and arcsaber008 which are cheaper can produce way2 more power and feel solid upon hitting. but then u cant complain much since jonas rasmussen use the vertex with great power and accuracy and won the all england and european championship. its just a matter of preference i feel the wave blx is soft coz its flexible but i heard the vertex are on the stiff side so better power transfer if u are strong.

10. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

yup i guess so, JR really did a good job with the racket, maybe it really suits him

11. geokos

geokos Regular Member

yoppy and man10681; from your reviews I would personally opt for the wave blx. that is primarily because I like lighter racquets. Since you say the wave packs a punch in power which is tough for light racquets to have because most light racquets are even balanced, I would not feel the lack of solidity since I am accustomed to lighter racquets. I am a doubles player so I feel lighter racquets help my defense. I am an attacking player and have powerful smashes but I am ready to compromise on bit of the power for manuverability and good defense.

I currently use the (K) Lite racquet which is even balanced and weighs 80 gms. I think if the wave blx is light like (K) Lite but adds on a bit more power then I am game for such a racquet especially for doubles.

Hey guys, thanks for your reviews especially yoppy because he has been meticulous and properly segmented his reply as if he is a professional reviewer of badminton racquets.

12. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

No worries at all geokos. Its my pleasure :)

13. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    like your humor! lol

14. Nightbird

Nightbird Regular Member

Can anyone suggest which string works well with K Tour and @ what tension?
    I just ordered mine y'day and looking to put it to test soon..

15. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Need to know your level and type of play :) eg. how long have you play badminton for?

As i mentioned on the other thread, there is no magic number in regards to string size and tension. It really depends on your strength/power, speed, timing and skill. The better in overall, the higher tension you should go.

As for the string type/size IMO its purely a personal preference. Having said that with Wilson K series (These rackets are very light) i wont risk a tick string (eg 0.70mm) with tension above 28lbs.

16. wwwYL

wwwYL Regular Member

Student
    Wilson K-Factor K-Boom, is this a good racquet ?

17. kkmh2

kkmh2 Regular Member

Undergrad
    er...I think that's for racquetball.

18. wwwYL

wwwYL Regular Member

Student
  19. geokos

geokos Regular Member

Nightbird...I prefer yonex nano95 strings and you can try a tension of 27 lbs on your K Tour racquet....I remember that the K tour can be strung till 29 lbs but you please verify it if you want to go higher than 27 lbs......

20. geokos

geokos Regular Member

Guys, I am into light racquets. Does anyone have a comarison review on Wilson K Factor K LIte AND Karakal M-Tec 70 ISO Gel?