2010 U.S. Adult National Badminton Championships..

Discussion in 'Orange County Badminton Club ( OCBC )' started by ctjcad, Apr 10, 2010.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..went to watch Day 1 actions. Some comments:

- Well, for a start, this "Adult Nationals" has really lowered its qualification age as there were a few very young kids who participated against the "adults" (see following pics)..:p
    - Didn't notice much upsets, if any.
    - Quite a few close matches.
    - The tournament seems to be lacking in preparation esp. for the number of available line judges (or maybe just for Day 1??). In some instances, there weren't even 10 linejudges available to do all 5 courts. In most cases, they used 2 linejudges per court/match. One instance where i noticed where it turned out to be a problem was during one of the early MS matches. There were a few close line calls during that match that one of the players requested the Umpire to call the Referee and provide linejudges. And even with the linejudges, there were still a couple of controversial calls.
    - Howard Bach & Bob Malaythong won't be defending their MD titles and seek a 6th straight MD title.
    - Neither will Johanna Lee defend her WS title.
    - Neither will Howard defend his MS title.
    - However, Johanna Lee is back to defend her WD title but this time she's back with Grace Peng; as well as Howard and Eva who are back to defend their XD title.
    - Finally met illusionistpro (Elliot)....i thought he was going to bring his camera gear, but instead he brought his snowboarding gear....:eek::p

So, who will be the winners this yr??..(pics & videos to follow):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Misc.

...he was okay and was able to continue to play even til his Doubles matches (he later put somekind of a knee band)..

[​IMG]

Yes, someone broke the racket, right at the handle. I saw the guy swung the racket and it just snapped..:eek::p
    [​IMG]

#1 ctjcad, Apr 10, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Day 1 Pics-Singles (Part 1):

..here are the competitors (pardon if i missed anyone, which i feel i did miss)

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Day 1 pics-Singles (Part 2):

Part 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Day 1 pics-Singles (Part 3):

Part 3:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Day 1 pics-Doubles (Part 1):

Doubles:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Day 1 pics-Doubles (Part 2):

..here are the last few for now...will post a few more pics & the videos of Day 3 (Finals) later:

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Nice pictures, Chris. Must have been a long day for you.
    Keep up the good work.:)

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    u should suggest him about some panda power rackets;)

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    btw, any canadian players went down there to compete this year?

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Day 2 actions...

..sorry, no pics from me, but Bubbles should or would be able to share some (he did double duty, taking pics as well as linejudging;))..

cooler, no Canadian players as this is a USAB only event. Wait til July til your Canadian brothers and sisters invade OCBC, once again..;):cool:

Some comments on Day 2:
    - A couple of injuries almost derailed the dreams of reaching the SF round.
    Actually one of the MS matches ended with a DNF. Quang MN suffered a bad cramp toward the end of the 3rd game (he was still sitting on the court more than 20 minutes after he called it off). That's why you'll see the scoreline as such. The other near casualty, Halim Haryanto also almost didn't finish his QF match and qualify for SF round because he had a bloody nose (i heard he was struck by a birdie being driven back??). The match had to be stopped for about 10-15 minutes.
    - Matches were a bit better than on Day 1.
    - Crowd still not as much, as sparse as Day 1.
    - Better number of linejudges for Day 2 but still seemed to be lacking on some matches.

..more later..

#10 ctjcad, Apr 11, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

WS Final..

WS - Eva Lee vs. Cee Ketpura 22-20 21-15

With the absence of last year's defending champion, Johanna Lee, former U.S. National WS winner, Eva Lee (in Red t-shirt below), looked to secure her 3rd WS title in as many years. In the 1st game, Eva battled a determined Cee, but it was the veteran Eva who found her luck toward the end of the 1st game. In the 2nd game, Eva fended off a feisty charge by the young Cee, who looks to be the future U.S. National WS winner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#11 ctjcad, Apr 12, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  12. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

MD Final..

MD - Howard Bach & Raju Rai vs. Sameera Gunatileka & Vincent Nguy 21-17 21-15

It was battle of half of last yr's U.S. National's MD winners vs. last yr's Boston Open winners. In the 1st game, Howard and Raju absorbed all the smashes, flat drives Sameera and Vincent could give. In the 2nd game, despite a much girtty effort by the defending Boston Open champions, the ex-National MS player made sure Howard would continue to hold on to his now 6 consecutive U.S. National MD title as they used their much engrained international experience to secure the match in 2 games.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

WD Final..

WD - Joo Hyun Lee & Yun Peng vs. Kuei-Ya Chen & Jamie Subandhi 21-13 21-15

It was a rematch of last yr's U.S. National WD Final, except this time minus Mona Santoso; to be exact, it's the reunion of some sort for the veteran pair. This time around, unlike last yr, the 2 veteran former partners made a relatively quicker work against their much younger counterparts, to secure their 3rd WD U.S. National title, as a pair, in as many yrs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#13 ctjcad, Apr 12, 2010
  14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

MS Final..

MS - Hock Lai Lee vs. Sattawat Pongnairat 21-14 21-16

In his first ever U.S. National championship participation, Lee Hock Lai made sure he would not miss this opportunity of cementing himself as the 4th Malaysian born shuttler to be the U.S. National MS champion (after Eddie Choong, Tan Aik Huang and Andy Chong).
    In the 1st game, Sattawat tried his best to rattle Hock Lai but to no avail. In the 2nd game, with a bit more youth on his side, Sattawat made it a bit more interesting by putting more varied shots to set up his jampsmashes. But Hock Lai, with a much better international flight hours in his resume, was just a bit too much for Sattawat, who also looks to be one of the future U.S. National MS winners.
    One additional note: During the match, the Umpire had to call a rare Let, to a few dismayed crowd who apparently saw the shuttle landed out, after one of the linejudges couldn't determine whether the shuttle landed in or out. Nor did the Umpire had a clear view.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does he resemble Lee Chong Wei or what??..;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

XD Final..

XD - Howard Bach & Eva Lee vs. Halim Haryanto Ho & Yun Peng 21-16 21-8

In a rematch of last yr's XD Semifinal match, this yr's Final meeting exemplified the steady play of Howard and Eva which pulled them through against the ex-Indonesian star and his ex-China national player. Surprisingly, this time around, the match ended quicker than last yr's encounter. It was a ding-dong affair in the 1st game but with a few uncharacteristic errors from the veteran pair, the defending U.S. National XD pair survived. It was much the same in the 2nd game, except this time, Halim made several uncharacteristic serving errors. The veterans also seemed to play a bit rushed which lead to unforced errors, which ultimately secured the 4th U.S. National XD title for Howard & Eva.
    *Sorry, didn't capture the award presentation..
    **Also, in the Quarterfinals Rd., on Saturday, Halim suffered a minor nose bleed not from being hit in the nose by a shuttle, but from being too over-excited...

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Last few pics from Day 3..

More Day 3 pics (Bubbles should have more:p)..and all the Finals videos will be up soon-stay tuned..

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Johanna Lee was honored for getting the Ken Davidson award.
    The Ken Davidson Award is presented annually to a male and female adult player who best represents Ken's legacy of sportsmanship, integrity and competitive spirit.
    Ken was named the 1955 U.S.A. Thomas Cup Coach, but was tragically killed in a plane crash in Scotland on a badminton tour.

[​IMG]

Yonex stencil logo..

[​IMG]

Guess whose ES5 Protech machine is that??..

[​IMG]

This is the racket & tension & string of the young lady in the last 3 pics of post #3 (Christine Yang). She is from NorCal and only 13 yrs old! She started playing 4 yrs ago but boy oh boy, can she pack a punch or what?!...After seeing her play, I have a feeling she could be a future WD great player for the U.S.:cool:

[​IMG]

#16 ctjcad, Apr 12, 2010
  17. JStandard1

JStandard1 Regular Member

Great pics, thanks a lot for the shots and upload as I wasn't able to make it. Glad to see Hock Lai take MS, he's been runner up in quite a few tourneys.

18. powerdow

powerdow Regular Member

Good pics. can't wait to see the Video, when you can upload it?

19. nd1234

nd1234 New Member

20. illusionistpro

illusionistpro Regular Member

I just got back from US National's last last night and it was a fun experience. I got to watch a bunch of matches and finally see OCBC.

The tournament was run incredibly well. I learned OCBC has a restaurant in their building which is great for participants and players, and Alan K was on site stringing rackets. Eric from yonex had set up shop and I got to pick up some shirts on sale. The matches were on time and went smoothly.

Notable matches were the finals of course but also the semi’s with Chandra Kowi and Paula Obanana v Grace and Halim. Im always surprised by Halim’s power and how loud he hits. From what everyone told me you can’t hear your shots very well in OCBC because it’s a really big gym with high ceilings, but you can definitely hear when Halim is on court. Chandra had great defense, movement and shot selection, but Halim/Grace were too much for the younger duo. Eventually they would lift, and eventually Halim would smash it down. It was only a 2 set match but still very intense.

Finals were awesome, but not what I was expecting. I thought we would see Q Minh Nguyen against Hock Lai Lee, but Minh had severe cramps during semi’s against Sattawat. Sattawat won after 3 sets against Minh when he withdrew at 20-16 in favor of Sattawat. Finals were Hock Lai Lee and Sattawat and both games went to Hock. I was pulling for Sattawat since he’s usa no.1 right now. There was one let call mid match, which was obviously out. It sucks Sattawat couldn’t make the call himself. I think Hock even knew the shot was out, but the umpire wouldn’t give. Even the other line judge called the shot out but it wasn’t his line to call. There were 2 or 3 other points which Sattawat let the shuttle drop out but ended up hitting the line. Hock was up at that point and they went back and forth points until Hock won it. Great match overall, and I really enjoyed watching two of the best players in the US.

After the bad line call which was a let, it made me wonder about sportsmanship. It was quite obvious the shot was out, but the umpire wouldn’t call it. Hock got to serve again, but easily could’ve hit the shuttle out and forfeited the point. In soccer if there is a player down and the team isn’t in scoring position the athletes will kick the ball out to stop play. Afterwards they return the ball to the possession team. What do you guys feel about this in badminton?