Upgrading to a better racket

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by meecaihel, Apr 1, 2010.

1. meecaihel

meecaihel New Member

Hey so I'm planning to get a new racket. I have played for 2 years and always used a nanospeed 500. It is an ok racket but I want a more advanced one. My friends say I have really good drops, but my smashes and clears need a little more improvement. I'm looking for a racket that would give me more power in my shots, but I won't lose much of my dropping skills. I'm not looking at any of the armortec series, or anything too head heavy since I like maneuverability. I guess to summarize this, I'm looking for a control racket with pretty good power. I'm kind of leaning toward an arcsaber 8 dx, but what do you recommend? Can you also recommend certain strings and ways to adjust to whatever racket you suggest? Thanks:)

2. dyrtla

dyrtla Regular Member

TI-10 3rd gen would do.

3. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Arc 8DX will certainly a good choice for a balance racket. You may also want to look for Arc7 or Arc100Ltd which in my opinion somehow feel very similar to Arc 8DX. Other well balanced Yonex racket are Arc10, Ti10, MP99. If you dont mind head light racket, i would go for NS series. In particular NS9900 is a great racket, used by pros for doubles.

For string choice, it really depends on your preference. I dont mind any string between 0.68 to 0.7 gage, i ussualy go for BG65 range or Nanogy95. Tension wise, i would not go beyond 28lbs, i simply wont be strong enough to handle the tension. I suggest start from 26lbs (as you have already played for 2 yrs), and adjust it as you feel required.

4. OliverHH

OliverHH Regular Member

Student
    That's all you need to know ;)
    My friends who have tried it, have all been amazed by this racket.. It just excells in everything :)
    I have my strung with BG-80, which I find the best string for the racket.. Strung at 25lbs..
    It's very easy to generate power, and maintain high control with this combo!

I simply love it!

5. tanto

tanto Regular Member

Graduate Student
    Ti-10 3rd Gen.. :D hehehhe...

6. meecaihel

meecaihel New Member

So what will the transition from nanospeed 500 to arcsaber 8 dx be like? Is it going to be harder to maneuver or will the timing be different? Also, if I were to get something from the nanospeed series, what would you recommend?

7. PapA_xlonG

PapA_xlonG Regular Member

Student
    Do some wrist training. Training will give you more power in smashing more than a racket can give to you.

You play more in double or single? If double, Ti10 would be very gd choice. Very fast and quite powerful. If you open to other brand, you may try BS11, even faster and more powerful than Ti10.

8. Many Ch0icez

Many Ch0icez Regular Member

Student
    Meecaihel. Buy a nanospeed 9900 if you can afford if not. Go for arc 7 with a pair of yonex shoes. shoes is a great weapon. to generate power just rotate and practice it. from back line to back line

9. Thom_bad

Thom_bad Regular Member

Student
    Never tried it but i think arc séries would suits you better than ns, cause they need more swing power (head light)

10. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

AT and NS series deliver power in different ways. While AT series are mostly head heavy rackets, NS series offers extra stiffness to compensate which IMO also very powerful esp for big swing players. If you are a wristy type, NS series may not be a good choice.

11. dyrtla

dyrtla Regular Member

wrong... headheavy is usually for power arm players, while head light, in this case Nanoseries are for wristy players. try swing a stiff, headlight racket with your arm... you wont get much power. you need your wrist for headlight rackets.

12. PapA_xlonG

PapA_xlonG Regular Member

Student
    Yeah, should be in this way of explaination.

AT for arm player
    NS for wrist player

4U AT is another choice for u.

13. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Thats right. Thank you for the correction.