Kenichi Tago made the right call at the final point but the line judge did not

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2010' started by Wildstone, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perfectionist

perfectionist Regular Member

Hitman
    Yes, of course there is no so called ideal thing. But it helps or serve as a guide to narrow down the probabilities. Just like getting a girlfriend or wife, where got perfect one,....:D

2. kish-mah-ash

kish-mah-ash Regular Member

you guy can blame the linedjudge or umpire for botching the call.but the blame lies not with them but with the stupid ash ssystem! if it was dat lindan chap in tago's size 8 pair of shoes, i can imagine all hay-yell will break lose. the entire china army could even boycott the upcoming tomas and uber cup! and if that happens, i wonder who's gonnaa cry?

3. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Organizers, etc. Malaysia, Denmark, South Korea and Indonesia will be :D:D:D

4. kish-mah-ash

bro,
    i have a feeling you also are going to cry!

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..i think team M'sia, Denmark, S.K., INA will be jumping with joy if team China decides to boycott the T&UC..of course, the fans and organizer might feel otherwise..

6. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    no way!:mad:
    i want lindan autograph and photo:crying:

yeah!:D
    brighter chance for mas:p

dang
    i have multi personality:eek:

7. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    What? Are you sure? Please don't belittle the CHN team. They're not as childish as you may think.

8. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Wish

I really wish this was the scenario, then BWF would sit up.

9. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

wouldnt it be bad for china badminton in the long run? there would be retaliations and counter retaliation... and the rest of the world will just move on without china.. and china badminton quality will suffer as a result (no matter how good they can be in isolation).. and world badminton will suffer in quality as a result, too.

a no win situation.... sure. there will be less excitement and less integrity.. (and money)...but still.....all the cup competitions will move on with or without china

10. kish-mah-ash

bro,
    i don;t knwo if you're trying to be funnie or sarcastic or what?
    of course most liekely they will not boycott.that is just an extreme example.
    but do yuouo recall the 2008 suepr series masters final when the entire china army decided to skip it and everyone wondered why they behaved like that?then they wwent missing in the follwoing 2009 malaysian suepr series.
    if they could totally ignore those bwf tourneys, what's next?

11. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Super Series Finals are meaningless and individual SS (except All-England) can be skipped if it does not work feature in the overall plans.

But boycotting a tournament because of an unintentional judging error in a neutral country? It's not even an extreme example.

12. binbin

binbin Regular Member

student
    i thought that LCW should take the responsibility also Tine and WYH.
    they play the roles of atheletics and line judges at the same time.
    but the umpire didnt warn them....

Shame of the Umpires

13. 2wheels04

2wheels04 Regular Member

... calls by line-judge(s) and umpire(s)

You may be correct in your umpire-expectations. My understanding is that there are several factors involved:

All Technical Officials (that includes umpire, service judge, and line-judges) are directed by the Tournament Referee (and deputies), who set out guidelines for the tourney.

Generally, in such elite tourneys, some of the main directives include:

1. Penalise only deliberate breaches of law, and allow the game to flow with as little interference as required
    2. Remember what the wise sage said once - keep the shuttle moving
    3. Base your call(s) on fact only
    4. Over-rule only when you are 100% certain; any doubt, and the benefit goes to the player(s)
    5. Make timely decision and stick by it - this could be anytime, at the start of the first game, or on the last point; all points are critical
    6. If timely decision is wrong, accept your mistake, and move on
    7. All decisions must be fair to players
    8. It is likely to get all calls correct, however the chance of that happening is between 96 and 99%
    9. Will talking sternly to the player make the game better? If no, read #2 above again
    10. Just to reiterate - All technical officials who are here take pride in, and have the highest levels of integrity in, what they are doing

Sometimes, the laws are broken inadvertently by players, as in getting passionate about a line call - does this action bring the game down? If no, then remember #2 above and this -
    Sometimes, the line judge would blink his/her eyes [naturally, reflexively] just as the shuttle is landing

It is better to remember, line judges and all officials are also human, and just like players, likely to make a mistake (or miss a call)

Do the very best possible with your officiating team {and do not login to the bc forum after you reach your hotel room:p}

And yes, no technology is perfect (hawk eye is used in cricket, and what it does is extrapolates the tracking of the object, this technology is not 100% accurate either), and always remember - badminton is a human sport.

These are the things I learnt in high level tourneys, both in badminton and in footy. And dont even get me started on tennis, where players must rest every time they get tired - this is my impression of that activity

I feel this answers the following points from other posters:

#93 2wheels04, Mar 18, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  14. kish-mah-ash

broh,
    i know dat ssfinals is not sacntioned and regualr super series are not requeired & can be skipped.my pointt was,if they could consider blowing off and disregarding such meaninglessc ompettitions while the restof the badminton nations are competing,imagine what would they do if push comes to shove?

and by da way,if boycotting a tournament becuase of unintentioanlj udging error is not an extreme example,then what is?putting only chinese linejedges and umpires in future china super series?putting a lawsuit against bwf or the organizer?

15. patriotBC

patriotBC Regular Member

we can see Malaysia & Denmark in the final match....:D

16. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    They don't just consider blowing off and disregarding unimportant tournaments, they are already doing it.

Boycotting a tournament because of unintentional judging error is not even an example. It makes no sense.

17. kish-mah-ash

broh,
    dat's what i meant.they did it and are doing it.with that in mind,who knows what's going to happen in da future.

of course boycotting makes no sense,to us.buit to them,doing that is not out of the question considering their refusal to attend an invitation event like the ssfinal.

18. Monster

Monster Regular Member

Can someone knowledgeable lead us to petition to BWF wrt this matter?

19. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Agree, we'll never know if we dont try. Someone out there HELP!! :crying::crying::p:p

20. wptheme

wptheme Regular Member

Web Designer
    Are you serious? :eek:
    Come on guys, mistakes happens. Controversial decisions have taken place, is and will continue in the future. Sometimes it happens so we don't need to get over emo over it. This is nothing compared to Heenry's Hand of Hell :D the whole Ireland nation went into fury over that incident which caused them to not qualify for the World Cup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.