Kenichi Tago made the right call at the final point but the line judge did not

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2010' started by Wildstone, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patriotBC

patriotBC Regular Member

yeah...thats better,,at least they can release their tension here....:D:D

2. Angelineayht

Angelineayht Regular Member

Student
    I think you guys should stop quarreling about this.
    The fact is LCW won, his winning point is a bad line call, and there's nothing to quarrel about.
    Look forward and not backwards.
    Maybe we'll get a even better bad line call in the SO :D

3. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

swiss open surely won't gets hotter without the 'main character ' there;)

4. aulia

aulia Regular Member

student
    ;):D
    And it's our task to make SO keep interesting!:D
    Just imagine Indian Wells now in women draw after HUGE upsets. :D
    It keep interesting cause the journalist still write the news.

5. perfectionist

perfectionist Regular Member

Hitman
    If BWF is addressing the issue then it is better than FIFA (Blatter) totally declined to accept such technology. If something similar happened this coming World Cup might bite them for good. Furthermore 1 goal is so much of an impact than 1 point in badminton. Cheers! :eek:

6. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Well, since we agree to continue talking about this.

Scenario: If LCW won the point on line-judge error at 0-0, will it make such a hoo-haa if he won the game 21-19? Discuss.

My take: Technically speaking, if the first point was judged correctly, then it would lead to 20-20 and the game hangs in balance. So, technically, whether the midjudge is at the first point or the match point, the impact is the same. But in an actual game situation, the victim of misjudge has the whole game to make up for first-point misjudgement, and not at matchpoint. So, even though it's technically only just one point, actually it's a very big point. Thus, the heated discussion.

7. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    I think maybe is AE organiser tactic to make this edition hotter
    let people remember and talk about this match for many years to come???

8. perfectionist

Hitman
    If u r replying to me. True. I m just speaking in general. :D

9. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

i'd said that before only 15% of the matches of this AE were played on the tv court and some with the cameras turned off. what happened to the other 85% that were not on the tv court? aren't they just as important and should be treated as such? just imagine if Zhao Yun Lei and Zhang Nan lost their qualification match in a similar fashion we will now have a different XD champion.

10. perfectionist

Hitman
    Alan, where is your question going to? there is no " if ". Nothing can be change.

11. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

It’s no point to change just for change’s sake, only if it works. To use cameras evident to challenge line call is not going to work. Let say you allow 3 challenges per team per game and remember that if your challenge is successful that doesn’t count, i.e. in reality it’s 3 failed challenges per team per game, similar to tennis. So, do you think some players will leave challenges unused? I don’t think so as they will use it to take a break toward the end of the game or when they are in a losing streak. So, say 50% of the challenges will be correct you will end up with about 12 of them per game with each last 2-3 minutes. Can you imagine badminton games will play like this, almost like tennis with start, stop, start, stop, stop, start and stop again? a tennis match can last over 5 hours!

On top of that there will be 5/6 courts with cameras on and I’m sure they will all queue up for the replay on the big screen.

12. perfectionist

Hitman
    That's quite an impressive thought. Let us don't crack our brain and leave it to those people who are paid for to do their job. Cheers!:)

13. Heong

Heong Regular Member

what's the point of having cameras looking at the line when nothing can be decided from them! Can't believe this.

Everyone knows that human eyes are not always accurate and that's why there is technology. But what's the point when we don't use them!? They could've just replayed that line call on the big screen and even if in slow motion! Why aren't the umpires allowed to make decisions from them???

Fair enough, badminton doesn't have hawk eye like tennis cause it's not as popular or earn very much. But a camera is better than nothing. Although I love badminton, I must admit, we have the worst management system of all other sports...

That ONE point. could have turned things around. but what has happened cannot be reversed, i just hope the cameras can be put into real use. Otherwise they'd only create anxiety.

14. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    This point has been made, and responses have been given. Just see above. It seems easy to implement, but there are consequences.

15. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

In that case, just use 1 line call per game then. Players will use this very carefully, no? How many bad call in a game likely to occur?

16. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Same as football. So lets move on. Save your brain cells. ;)

17. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I think the added break is a VERY small price to pay for ensuring correct line-calls. Players can always fake injury, point to get floor wiped, take a long time to walk around, inspect/replace shuttles etc. etc to stall.. so I think the whole point off "continuous play" is pretty hard to enforce anyway..

And IF it really is seen as a problem (it can even be viewed positive for the tension and tempo with the breaks) there is a simple solution by not letting the umpire approve the challenge, and overrule if he from his seat clearly can se that the challenge is incorrect (thereby a challange for "tactical" reason cannot be made)

/Twobeer

18. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    The best thing that we derived from this episode is that something should be done about these line calls and improvements made. The hotter the debate, the better, so that BWF will sit up and do something, for the goodness of the sport. Do not worry about the victor's and loser's feelings, not only LCW's and KT's, others players as well 'cos it is part of the game and life as a whole and time will heal. We all want to see badminton progress.

19. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Its sad none of us including me cant do anything about it. I cant believe there is no BWF official wonder around reading BC (but who knows, maybe there is). My 4 yrs old son will say ITS NOT FAIR!! :crying::crying::crying::crying:

20. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    nothing left is fair in life
    nothing
    even there is laws and rules to ensure fair
    but those who dont obey are out there;)
    this is not a wonderland for alice;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.