Kenichi Tago made the right call at the final point but the line judge did not

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2010' started by Wildstone, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildstone

Wildstone Regular Member

MATCH POINT WAS OUT

He was an exceptional player, who dared to leave the last point and yes he made the correct call that the shuttle was out, but the line judge did not.

I wonder what would turned out if the line judge did make the correct call (where the shuttle was out and the game goes to deuce). Tago was catching up and seem to be handling match point pressure exceptionally well (dared to do a long serve at 20-18 and dared to make a close call at 20-19).

Damn if only the line judge made the right call we might see a thrilling end of this already thrilling match.

2. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

This has already been said many times......we can debate forever on what happened from here, as some people already said. Leaving it would be best.

3. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    [​IMG]

Ouch. I did not know that the moment had been caught so clearly by a line-cam... ojojoj, poor Tago. Well he will be sure to protest more strongly next time!

4. druss

druss Regular Member

Why is this posted 3 times? As stated this has already been discussed in many threads, please do not clutter up the forum with multiple threads of the same topic.

5. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    well
    why should one keep traping himself in the same old issue?
    acknowledging that is enough
    if u keep crying for ur result is not good enough
    it wont change anything
    ur result is still sucks and far from what u targeted
    it wont change the truth
    it already happened

any negative after math wont change anything
    learn from the lesson and be a better player in future
    how many malaysian heart break on co 2007?
    but the life goes on

kenichi tago know this exactly in ae 2010
    lcw know this exactly in 2007 co

if player can get rid of it
    why dont u?

6. perfectionist

perfectionist Regular Member

Hitman
    Simple = Just another Human Being ;0) cheers!

7. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Still it kind of sucks, with shitty line-judges.. And the important thing is not to moan and b..ch about the past.. But rather try to figure out how to avoid things like this in the future.. It is obviousuly something wrong with oour sport if a major tiltle may come down to line judges not doing their job!

BWF should ACT!!! This was not such a big prblem when rallyscoring was not used.. know it is common that one set comes down to a few points, and it takes away the beauty off the game i think if it comes ddown to "luck" with the judge...

IT is EASY to fix this prolem if WE WANT TO!! We already seen that there was camera catching the line showing it perfectly clear that the ball was out..So why not use this when players protest,, simple, efffective and unbiased..

Look into the future and LEARN from the past.. I noted quite a few incorrect linecalls during AE, which I think is a scandal if I can see it is a fualty call just by watching not-so-good-quality streams of the event over internet... It should not be hard for neither the umpire or the line-judje to correctly officiate the game!! And if they cannot see clearly or lacks concentratin, there should be cmeras available.. at least when it comes down to semis/finals..

/T

#7 twobeer, Mar 15, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  8. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    its important for bwf to know the exist of bc;)
    there is many thing for them to improve and LEARN from some wise and brilliant opinion in bc:)
    but then
    are they willing to change?:rolleyes:

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    lin dan know this exactly in 2008 KO, he fought it too mind u:p:p
    (on 2007 CO, i still haven't seen 1 video conclusively pointing to a bad call yet)

problem is, if player can forget about it, then bwf will keep on sitting on their butt and do nothing, or using excuse of 'we're looking into it'. Line camera is cheap to install, we don't need hawkeye system. Cork doesn't compresses like tennis ball, a cork shadow over the line helps to decide in some cases, still not for all cases.

10. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    yup
    forget to mention 2008 ko

i didnt use the term of FORGET;)

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    this should be my last post on this subject (AE MSF line dispute) until bwf come up with a solution to fix up this mess.

please dont misunderstood me, i'm happy you malaysians get to see your hero lcw earn his first major, a very sought after item for lcw or any players to earn the 1st major. I dont blame the line judge or umpire either. I blame the top, the bwf.They have many years to fix this mess but delay delay delay. The major flare up in 2007 CO, 2008 KO, and this 2010 AE are farcical if we want to project badminton sports as a serious sport to the world. BWF is very very lucky this time because Tago exceeded his expectation by beating bcl, being in the final is just icings. He accepted the bad call and did not turn the dispute into a scene or uproar. What if the finalist was taufik, bcl, SDK, PSH who are gunning for their first major or missing AE title, they would not be so nice as tago and i would't blame them. (ie, i would even support taufik if he make a big messy scene:p). So, i hope bwf listen this time, with demand for change coming from both asian teams and european teams. We can not afford anymore of these yearly embarassment when readily available technologies can fix it, so we all can focus on player's performance, and not doubting each line and net call.

#11 cooler, Mar 15, 2010
  12. dunmaster

dunmaster Regular Member

really hope BWF will do something good!

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Reality is: BWF still relies on human judgment & human judgment is imperfect...

..well, that's the 2 million dollar question..;)
    ..as i already mentioned in another thread, seeing a still picture or in slo-mo is different than seeing the actual play in normal speed. I can put myself in the linejudge's position and trying to make that call. Also, we don't know whether the linejudge had a very clear view, thus s/he made the judgment on instict. Even the umpire didn't have a clear/good enough angle to over-rule the call.
    I'm quite sure both the umpire and line-judge now probably realized they made a bad call, but overall it was such a tough call to make.

14. Lordofthefart

Lordofthefart Regular Member

Student
    Yeah and if you look, at the picture, it's a very close call. The reality of the situation is that I agree with the above post. I also believe we need to stop this judge bashing, yes he made a bad call. But what about all the other plays. I refuse to believe that the game was lost with a single call. I mean if you look at it, Tago had already lost one game prior and had found himself in a 20-17 hole. I doubt it was the line judge's fault for that situation.

#14 Lordofthefart, Mar 15, 2010
  15. Destricto_Ense

Student
    If you care to look at Tago's record for the AE, the situation he found himself in was not an unfamiliar one... with his attitude, matchpoint down means nothing. Afterall, was he not one point from deuce?

Ctcjad.. KT knew it was out and stopped retreating. He was not obstructing the line judge's view and they were naturally positioned at the optimal position to judge whether it was in or out -ie on the line. Even to me, sitting 20m away to the side, it looked out.

16. Destricto_Ense

Student
    Sorry that should be ctjcad, I am on my phone and can't edit for some reason...

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..i understand and saw the video clip showing KT wasn't anywhere close to the shuttle landing to warrant any obstruction to the linejudge. Your angle of view might be better, but how about the linejudge's view? Btw, just curious, was the linejudge who made the call young or old? Maybe the linejudge just missed a fraction of a second of concentration and in the heat of the intense action, might've gotten distracted.
    Unfortunately, the ultimate person to overrule/not overrule the call aka the Umpire didn't have clear or discernable enough view to uphold/or overturn the linejudge's decision. And i'm sure you noticed KT looked in the Umpire's direction to plead for possibly a different call.

18. Destricto_Ense

Student
    [​IMG]

I honestly don't think KT was even in the way of the umpire, let alone the line judge. He was right in the middle of the court, pointing that it was out...

Ah, I don't want to discuss this anymore, makes me feel sad for the guy :(

PS From what I observed during the tournament pretty much all of the line judges were 50+ years old, and I think half/half male female.

#18 Destricto_Ense, Mar 15, 2010
  19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..no one is suggesting KT was blocking the Umpire's view either.
    In this case, we can only see images, videos showing angles that are probably not from the linejudge's view nor from the Umpire's view. I can surely imagine being either the linejudge or Umpire and trying to make such a close call. Even if Tago was pointing with his hands and foot that the shuttle was out.
    What if the linejudge made the wrong call, calling the shuttle landed out but in fact it touched the line. Oh my gawd, do you know how riled up the Boleh Nation would be if they saw LCW got robbed of that call and ended up losing the AE title??..
    Now, if it was blatantly out, like 4-5 inches away then that's a different story..

*Thanks for disclosing the rough ages of the linejudges..:p

#19 ctjcad, Mar 15, 2010
  20. Wildstone

Wildstone Regular Member

Bottom line is, if the line judge had made the right call which s/he should, the game would have gone to deuce. The 100th championship match has left an infamous moment in the history.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.