How Do We Define A Good Coach?

Discussion in 'Coaching Forum' started by pBmMalaysia, Dec 19, 2009.

1. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

It was the GP Finals, Junior version. THe winner is winner overall in Msia for their age group. Unless you mean international junior tourneys. There is one Cheam June Wei for 100 Plus interstate :http://tournamentsoftware.com/sport/teammatch.aspx?id=F651E081-FA4F-4C5E-9F5D-F8AFDE213EC8&match=65

Tee JY is in back up starting this yr, strong fighting spirit, most prob she will be in Uber Cup team at 4th WS

Ok, you can post the info in Msia Juniors 2010 thread.
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78833

2. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    elvin, things like that happen, players go in esp bjss then quit but this we can't blame on the coaches, they are doing their job as coaches and to cut the story short, when the cat is not around, the mouse start to play. actually it has a lot to do with the player himself, mostly, easily influence! if the influence is good, it will be something good, if not.... so my advise is choose the right age to go in! as coach teh also suggested on your 12 yr old boy!

3. elvinteh

elvinteh Regular Member

factory
    The boy you mention is correct. seem like you are really a badminton fans. I am not quite sure which tournament you mean, cause i did not follow up with those tournament. I just know last few month in penang state under 12 years old open which Indonesia player also take part. The boy beat the indonesia player double set the take his champion.
    Tee JY is very tough, wish the best for her. ;)

4. elvinteh

elvinteh Regular Member

factory
    You are right, student themselve is very important.
    sorry for any inconvenience, cause so far Teh still has 6 student inside Malaysia, one lady 16 years old already quit because she say go in for 2 years, touch the badminton court not more than 3 month. And her knee injured. And the other boy, Nelson take weight up to 80kg when the age of 16. The boy's mom told me that she is very regret to send her son in so early.
    For so many student Teh has send in to Malaysia team, most of them end up with nothing because join too early. When the age still young, the skill and basic that they learn still unstable. Not like Chong Wei and Ee Hui, they join at the age of 17, and their basic and skill are quite stable. As long as their basic and skill learn from Teh still maintain. Improve their stamina and strength will good enough to perform.
    Just like the first time Lee Chong Wei beat Cheng Hong in Malaysia. Teh told him if he do not want to use the skill that Teh teach him, he will lose. Then he listen and finally he beat Cheng Hong to be a Champion for the first time.
    Sorry if causing any unhappiness....

5. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    it's ok there is no inconvenience here, i think we are quite happy sharing something about coaching ...

the other 2nd important thing are the parents/guardian. they must understand their part and their role is to motivate them on training not interfering it.

however, the coach concerned must give 'true' advise to them and willing to part them when the time is right. some hold them too long while others knowingly and willingly send them earlier to gain fame.

as coach misbun once said, ''you can get fitness in 6 months and skills, maybe 6 years!''.
    ;)

6. elvinteh

elvinteh Regular Member

factory
    nice to know you, new cutting drop with fast movement from back court coming soon tonight, i put slow motion see how much u can learn, i only put on for one to two days only. because this is special move, may be no other coach can teach you. :D
    observe as much as you can

7. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    ok, elvin, around what time ready?

8. elvinteh

elvinteh Regular Member

factory
    is there already
    but not so clear
    the pixel break
    i will try to make it clear

9. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Just to clarify, you mean this boy now weigh 80 kg or have to train carrying weights up to 80 kg like a weight lifter ???

10. elvinteh

elvinteh Regular Member

factory
    sorry, i mean i weight lifter up to 80 kg when age 16. and looks like robot.
    when he walk, both legs open width. seem very weird. and stop growing high.

11. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    what elvin means is the 16 yr old boy was asked to lift up to 80 kg weight. but i am sure there must loading over a period of time and i understand in bjss weight training, each player even have their own log book (with computer/sofware) they punch in their names, date and everything set already.
    this could be due to now enough warm-up/stretching and maybe playful at that time? or he followed the wrong data belonging to some other weight lifter!

12. elvinteh

elvinteh Regular Member

factory
    grate to see you reply. For me, badminton is not totally talking about strength and speed. Is just like tai chi, knowing when is the time to strike and slow. From Teh coaching, i feel that he is teaching how to control game. So master all the skill making the player to control and trick his opponent.
    All this skill and trick shot not so easy to master. Like front net trick shot, our racket can follow the shuttlecock from the top to the bottom of the net and hit. If hand movement just a little bit wrong, then will cause mistake. and the player will not use it, and time past, lack of practicing, he will forget about it.
    Anyhow did you see the video clip? any comment?

#52 elvinteh, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  13. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    i saw 4 clips - few young champions playing, basic swing & simple footwork, low net return & double stroke net flick. are these the videos you refer?

14. elvinteh

elvinteh Regular Member

factory
    the last one, cutting drop which you can see peter gate and chong wei also play this skill with fast movement. those are only simple basic,
    there is still lots of clip, converting quite slow,
    have more like chong wei normally play forehand cutting cross net, but he did not play over head cutting cross drop
    also have backhand cutting cross like taufik
    each corner as least has 4 to 5 type of advance skill

#54 elvinteh, Feb 5, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  15. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    great clips, lets us know when you release new ones!:D:D

16. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    defining a good coach

coach teh, very well known in penang and here in malaysia is an example of a good coach:

just recently, 5 or 6 of his ex-trainees including lee chong wei came back for a gathering in coach teh's usual training venue.

this shows, beside good skills and discipline they all have learnt in the past, they also have learnt the most important thing, respect.

so how did coach teh got so much respect? he must have some magic with him and not only transferring the skill know-how to his trainees but guiding each and everyone of them in the process..i guess very tedious job..:)

17. elvinteh

elvinteh Regular Member

factory
    Actually want do that need a lot of sacrifice, just like Lee Chong Wei for example, he just only pay RM 50 per month because at that time his family is quite poor, so Teh offer him. And in one month he train around 40 times. So if you divide is only RM 1 per class, can any coach do that???? I don't think so.
    Just like today, all the junior player at Malaysia team came back this morning for training session and CNY also send gift. Because when they train, Teh always give them new shuttle cock which cause RM 4 each. So all of them know they pay not enough for what has coach Teh sacrifice. Most of the coach only give broken shuttle cock for training.
    Want to get this kind of result, need a lot of sacrifice. Not as you think that simple.

18. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    coincidentally we at pbm is doing the same for selected players, our program started in 2005 and today we have many state players and they are also paying special rate, actually rm48, to be exact! the rest i got from sponsors!
    that's why i said your dad got the magic to transfer skills to his player and thus he earns that respect!:D

19. elvinteh

elvinteh Regular Member

factory

Oh, ya. So at your place got sponsor, but here no sponsor. The only sponsor is only every years one company only sponsor us the T-shirt. Around 2000 pcs of shirt per years. But no money. :D

20. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    sell them, man and generate income for the extra expenses! you and coach teh very lucky to have trainees like lee and the rest, who come back as a friend, as a fan, as a trainee once again most important of all the respect they are giving!
    but how many come back and what if they never come back?

with 2000 pc @rm 15, you can generate rm 30,000 and divide by 12, you get rm2,500, divided by 50, you can sponsor 50 players!:D