Let us follow Lee Chong Wei to the Korean Open SS 2010

Discussion in 'Korea Open / Malaysia Open 2010' started by chris-ccc, Jan 1, 2010.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Let us follow Lee Chong Wei to the Korean Open SS 2010

The Malaysian Online (The Star) says that Lee Chong Wei is in a good position to win the Korea SS title. But some of us have heard that LCW is currently only 80% fit. Let us follow how he would make progress at this tournament.

Here is part of the article from The Star: http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2010/1/1/sports/5398405&sec=sports

Friday, 01 January 2010
    Chong Wei gets chance to start year on a high note

By LIM TEIK HUAT

Petaling Jaya
    : A favourable draw coupled with the absence of Olympic and world champion Lin Dan from the Korean Open has put Lee Chong Wei in a good position to secure a great start to the year.

The season-opening Super Series championships from Jan 12-17 in Seoul marks the return of the world No. 1 to competition after pulling out of the Laos SEA Games last month because of a knee injury.

For Lin Dan, he will make his first appearance for the year in the Malaysian Open, which will be held the week after the Korean Open.

However, China will still have a strong singles cast in the Korean Open with Chen Jin, Bao Chunlai and Chen Long in the fray.

[​IMG]
    Chong Wei: The world No. 1 will open his Korean Open campaign against Andrew Smith of England

Chong Wei is in the same half of the draw as third seed Chen Jin and he starts his campaign in Seoul against Andrew Smith of England. In the same quarter are Marc Zwiebler of Germany and Boonsak Ponsana of Thailand.

The other half of the draw has Chunlai, Chen Long, South Korean Park Sung-hwan and top Dane Peter-Gade Christensen.

It was Christensen who denied Chong Wei his first Korean Open title last year.

Chong Wei bagged a total of six titles last year, including a successful defence of the Super Series Masters Finals in Johor Baru last month and singles chief coach Rashid Sidek hopes the shuttler can continue from where he left off.

“It has not been easy for any player to achieve what he did last year even though he missed the major titles, including the world championship,” he said.

“Even in the absence of Lin Dan, the pressure is still on him as everyone is out to beat the world No. 1. Chong Wei had ample time to recover and should be ready for the challenges.”

Rashid also hoped that the back-up shuttlers would be able to make the most of the opportunities given to them.

Besides Chong Wei, Kuan Beng Hong and Chong Wei Feng are also in the main draw but they are staring at early exits.

Wei Feng has a first-round match against Christensen while Beng Hong meets a qualifier, who is likely to be Liew Daren, and has Sung-hwan in his path in the second round.

Tan Chun Seang and Mohd Arif Abdul Latif are likely to slug it out for a place in the main draw.

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Draw for the 2010 Korean Open SS

The draw for the 2010 Korean Open SS:

Attached Files:

3. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Looks too easy for LCW. If he does now win this, he should not harbour hope for the MO.

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

2010 Korean Open: Lee Chong Wei Vs Andrew Smith in Round 1

You'll never know X Ball.

LCW's first match, on Wednesday 13-Jan-2010, will be against Andrew Smith (ENG).

If LCW cannot defeat Andrew in 2 games, we should be a bit worried for him (LCW). Still don't know if he has fully recovered from his injury.

The scores from LCW's first match could tell us if he's ready to win this 2010 Korean Open title.

5. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

But you are saying what I am saying except I say it differently (more positive - read my comments again). Bloody Melbournians ! No wonder it rained on New Years Eve when I was there - it is all this pessimism.:D

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

It would be great for LCW to win his first ever Korean Open title

It would be great for LCW to win his first ever Korean Open title. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Like the Melbourne NYE fireworks, there will be lightning - LCW's lightning fast movements !

8. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Hahaha!! Your post is a good one...I have a good laugh before bedtime:D:p

9. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Hope that LCW will be playing in the rounds with no problems

X Ball,

Hope that LCW will be playing in the rounds with no problems and win this year's title.

I am having internet/computer problem at home. Hope it can be fixed soon. Otherwise, I would need to go to an internet cafe to read and/or post, like what I am doing now. :eek::eek::eek:

10. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Yup, he has never won KO title before......as he said he wanted to wins title he has not yet won..........:p

11. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Well, he was close last year though. But he lost to Peter-Gade...
    Hopefully he keeps up his SSMF Masters form where he beat Peter Gade :) or HK SS Final 09 too...

12. Tunococ

Tunococ Regular Member

I'm worry about the cold weather will drag LCW down.

13. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Cold weather, no malaysian food, etc. etc. no problem, LCW has the KO title in the bag...the opponents will be left standing still with Dato's lightning fast moves...I hope XBall does not mean lightning fast moves outta Korean Open and go visiting KO gf.:D:p

14. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    Chong Wei, back-up players have to deliver

http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/articles/kljefkljwqklj/Article/index_html

FOR the last two years, Lee Chong Wei has started by winning his very first tournament and he is favoured to continue the trend by clinching the Korea Open which begins in Seoul today. The absence of China's Olympic champion Lin Dan has opened the path for Chong Wei as none of the players competing in the season's curtain raiser look capable of stopping the Malaysian.

this must be a hard core malaysia boleh fans:D
    he/she tot lcw is unbeatable as long as lin dan absence:rolleyes:;)

15. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

LCW is no LYD. you must know:D:D

16. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Sometimes it is good to be without internet, then you would not have to worry about reading or posting.:D

17. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Don't think she wants to see him if he does not win any money - no presents from him.:D

18. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

that's right, now chris can take a few days leave from the forum and rest his mind and soul :D

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

2010 Korea Open SS Round 1: Lee Chong Wei defeated Andrew Smith, 21-4, 21-14

Unfortunately, computer/internet connection is fixed; so I'm back. :(:(:(
    But it's great to find LCW getting through Round 1 without problems. :):):)

Chong Wei LEE [1][​IMG][MAS] defeated [​IMG][ENG] SMITH ANDREW 21-4, 21-14, in 25 mins.

Tomorrow in Round 2, we shall have;
    Chong Wei LEE [1][​IMG][MAS] -vs- [​IMG][GER] Marc ZWIEBLER

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

2010 Korea Open SS: Lee Chong Wei is expected to face Chen Jin in the semi-finals

Found this article from The Star Online

“I started well and ended strongly last season. This year, I aim to do the same. A good start will put me in the right frame of mind ahead of more challenging tournaments this year,” he said.

“The weather is very cold as it is minus zero here. But it will be a challenge for me to do well despite the discomfort.”

Last year, the world number one got off to a brilliant start by winning the Malaysian Open and he ended his campaign by lifting the Super Series Masters Finals in Johor Baru.

This year, the Korean Open has taken over from the Malaysian Open as the opening leg of the Super Series. The Malaysian Open will be held next week at Putra Stadium from Jan 19-24.

Chong Wei lost to Peter-Gade Christensen of Denmark in the final last year but he has vowed to set the record straight this time.

“The Korean Open is one of the four Super Series titles still missing from my collection. I will go all out to nail it this time after last year’s miss,” Chong Wei said.

But it won’t be easy as he has an intimidating group of rivals in his quarter, including the likes of Germany’s Marc Zwiebler and Thailand’s Boonsak Ponsana.

Chong Wei is expected to face China’s Chen Jin in the semi-finals.

#20 chris-ccc, Jan 13, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2010