copenhagen master 2009 - Dec 27-29, 2009

Discussion in '2009 Tournaments' started by limsy, Nov 20, 2009.

1. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Chris, I think the way xiedeheng[/I commented was OK. Maybe everyone should read that thread but in this instance, I found no offence with the way he posted.

2. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    I am surprised that Lydia could take the second game from Tine

Yes, Can those who have watched give a comment? I didn't watch the match.
    I am surprised that Lydia could take the second game from Tine.

IMHO, in terms of skill/strokes, Tine is much ahead of Lydia.
    And in terms experience/determination, Tine is MILES infront.

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

I am just thinking for Badminton Denmark

I am just thinking for Badminton Denmark (players and organisers)

A 'not-so-nice-comment' has been made about them; and there is nobody from the Badminton Denmark to defend and/or to refute those allegations.

4. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

All Danish shuttlers won the title, only Tine played rubber-games in finale. The last match, Jan O Jorgensen tamed Dicky Palyama, 21-7 ; 21-14 to bag his maiden Copenhagen Masters title.

5. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    sorry yes.. pretty big difference for the winners :D :D

6. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    will this victory start his run like peter gade?he have 8 more copenhagen master title to catch up:D

7. Trmun

Trmun Regular Member

I'm a danish badminton player, so I'm probably biased, BUT regarding the service faults being called on Mak - they were all actual faults. And mostly because the shaft wasn't pointing downwards - at least as far as I could tell. Wheter or not Boe/some of the other Danes commited a mistake is not something I'll play smart on, but I've actually studied these servefaults and I'm pretty certain that is why they were called.

Copenhagen masters is in Denmark being marketed as "the most cosy tournament of the world" - it isn't a very serious tournament as such, but more of an exhibitional one to make more people interested in badminton. Of course we would love to see LCW, LD and the likes here, but as there are no ranking points, and the moneyprize isn't all that great, why would they? Therefore Copenhagen masters is also about giving the new young hot shots a chance at playing a tournament hence the invitations are being given to these players. But of course every danish badmintonplayer would love to win it, so PG is also participating, even though it fits VERY badly with his training schedule.

I hope this put some light on the case - it's not because we danes want the danish players to win, it's simply because of the tournament being a "cosy" tournament that the best players in the world aren't participating (though with people like PG, Tine our mix and mens doubles and Jan Ø who will hopefully climb the ladder in the future one could dare claim it is still some of the worlds best badmintonplayers).

Regarding judges - they always suck as they are simply humans. There have been some bad calls, but there have so at every tournament. I don't think I've seen any bad calls in critical situations except for in the mixed double between the 2 danish pairs where one could also see a very seldomly frustrated AK...

EDIT: Regarding the size of our country, yes we are small, yes we are few BUT we can still whoop some butts in most sports :) - and badminton is sadly not as widely spread as some of you might seem to think. The popularity is something like soccer>tennis>golf>handball>badminton - it's pretty riddic considering that badminton is probably one of our best sports :(

#187 Trmun, Dec 29, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  8. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I watched the Game! I think Lydia played really well. Tine had a slip in mid second game, which may have helped a bit to make her e little more cautios, and I think Lydsia smelled some blood :)

Lydia has very good technique, but she needs a bit more strenght.. Tine is just so much bigger and stronger (harder shots, drives etc.)..Lydia has the better technique of the two imop, but needs to be much stronger.. work on those forearm and leg musles :), if she wants to beat Tine!! ..

/Twobeer

9. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Tine vs Lydia

First game, Tine had Lydia in her back pocket. Pretty much a stroll for Tine.

2nd game, with an easy 1st game Tine sort of took her foot off the pedal and made a few mistakes. Sensing her opportunity, Lydia step up to the plate and played some decent shots that surprised Tine.

Rubber, a charged and fuming mad (with herself) Tine took to the court like a wounded tiger and upped her game. Lydia just could not cope with the pace and placement of Tine's shots, made a lot of unforced errors and allowed Tine to take something like 9-10 points in a row.

Summary ... Lydia deserved some credit for nicking a set off Tine. But when reality sets in, Tine is on another planet to Lydia as a shuttler.

I fell asleep halfway during the Danes vs Danes MD and woke up halfway between the MS tie between DP/MJ.

When cant em' Danes have the whole thing played earlier. Unlike for football am not used to staying up for badminton.

10. gemini12

gemini12 Regular Member

yes...Tine won and deserving one too.

Lydia has shown that she could be a force to reckon with as the commentator has said " its does not matter when a young players is inconsistence but it is about doing the right thing"

The commentator also said that all she need to do is to improve on her speed and strenght she will be somewhere around the world. She said that she has some good deceptive skills and that is why Malaysia considered her as one of their young talent.

After saying that, i too realised that she has potential but she need to work alot on her weakness.

She has shown some mark improvement since last year and she should keep working on it.

She seems to be friendly on TV and she seem to enjoy herself in Denmark and she has been a good ambassador to Malaysia.

11. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Lydia will be MAS No.1 WS player soon

It's good to hear. Some have said that Lydia will be MAS No.1 WS player soon. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Wow, this is so great of Lydia!

I don't think WMC ,with all her experience, has ever even taken one game off Tine. And here we have young Lydia, with all her inexperience, surprising Tine, in front of her home crowd. That's proof of grit and determination!

In the meantime, expect Lydia to fall in her next tournament. That's the pattern of a champion in the making. Rise and fall, rise and fall, then rise, rise, rise, then fall,then rise... except it's hard to tell when the rise, rise,rise part will come.

13. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Just my opinion

Also noted was the match between Boe/Mogenson vs Markis/Hendrawan.
    Markis was service faulted 2 or 3 times and he also complained about the opponent's service when they did a flick serve.

14. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Although we can commend Lydia for taking a game off Tine, it is still not as good compared to Julia Wong's two victories over the same opponent.

Lydia's mind still has that tendency to go adrift for a sequence of pts, and that huge rally at 4-4 in the 3rd game broke her composure somewhat when Tine won it from a difficult position. After which Tine ran away to the interval without dropping another point.

15. gemini12

gemini12 Regular Member

agreed...

That's why her inconsistency has always been her problem but she is learning fast from what i can see.

She has been Yo-Yo for awhile. lets hope she will be able to breakthru in 2010.

She has the height and she has the technique but lack of speed and strenght.

16. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Yes, agree.

Lydia still very inconsistant, although managed to take a game off TR was a great improvement from Lydia, I still would rate her below Julia Wong who was in tremendous form before her injury....;);)

Way to go, Lydia....work harder next time. :p

17. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    #197 limsy, Dec 30, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  18. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
  19. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Hold the champagne ... please

Lets come back to the real world. Lets not look so far till 2012 Uber Cup and all. Come back to reality, 1/1/2010. By the way ... I had a great time partying at Zouk last night. :D

Anyway, I dont intend to stop anyone from building castles in the sky. But if we take the sober approach, we will note that despite nicking that 1 set off Tine, Lydia is still average. Thats the reality. Other than her technique, her mental side of the game needs some serious work as well especially when she allowed Tine to take about 9+ straight points off her in the 3rd set. I saw the game and the poor girl was totally helpless when Tine upped her game. She was lost, period.

Technique wise, though she played some decent shots in the 2nd set, I still find technique wise, she wont pose a serious challenge to the top girls. Her strength is also pretty questionable. She just dont have the power in her smashes or drives to trouble Tine, while Tine was raining bombs on her.

Please dont get me wrong and before anyone gives me the usual Boleh sermons about belittling shuttlers, that their parents/boyfriends/girlfriends/neighbours/long lost aunties or pet donkey reads this forum, such criticisms will forced our shuttlers to migrate to Australia or Iraq and so on and so forth, let me just say this is not a personal attack on the shuttler. I am only giving my personal assessment of the match.

20. gemini12

gemini12 Regular Member

No one is giving u all the usual boleh sermon because you really luv her so much.