Badminton commentators - what do we think of them?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Mini Me, Aug 21, 2008.

1. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

its ok, dude.
    Personally, do you like john burgess?:D

2. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Your personally means :

1) Me, personally or

2) As a person

For the former, I don't like his commentaries, he is too bias and pro Malaysian players. As a commentator, he should be impartial, always "go harimau" and always repeating about the game in Kuching where LCW came back from 13-20 to beat Lin Dan and that he is the privalege few to be there to comment. Got so tired of it. I think he will still be talking about it until LCW retires.

For the latter, he could be just another friend. I don't mind sitting next to him on a bus, if he is not angry with me for critisizing him.

#122 nokh88, Aug 24, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2009
  3. flite

flite Regular Member

Those commentators from Hong Kong is not bad. Judging from the facts they said it seems like they really know the game.

4. yellowduck

yellowduck Regular Member

finance
    just wanna use this chance to say that gill clark is an amazing commentator. and i find myself learning and improving my game just by listening to her. nothing to say bout her male colleague. i choose not to say anything if ive got nothing good to say.

5. JR

JR Regular Member

Professional Badmintonplayer
    Hi Guys!

Fun thread to read as I´ve actually been a commentator several times....

Many times for danish television, once during Copenhagen Masters. And once with Gillian Clark. As I recall ,I think, it was during Sudirman Cup in Scotland. In my opion she is great :D Made me feel very comfortable speaking in english for 4 hours straight.

I must say it´s not always easy to speak for such a long time and sound interesting all the way :) I do also sometimes wish for commentators to stop speaking.....I think that s natural, but also a bit boring if you had to watch the matches without a commentator. Even though a commentator is bad you have will still have the fun of putting him down :) But remember it´s not an easy task under pressure of all you guys......

Kind Regards

JR

6. krisss

krisss Regular Member

People be aware of your criticisms of John Burges , especially because he read the forums :p.

7. JR

JR Regular Member

Professional Badmintonplayer
    I haven´t had the chance to work with John, yet....But from what I´ve heard when I´ve watched or heard him on television he is great too.... :D

JR

8. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Haha, you're one of the minority in the forum. I have always liked his style of commentary. At least he makes things interesting.

9. Destricto_Ense

Destricto_Ense Regular Member

Student
    I don't mind his commentary, it's a bit whimsical which is unusual nowadays.

10. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

Do you have a more interesting phrase in mind? A phrase will get tired if you hear it repeated hundreds of times anyway.

Personally I like ''sudden injection of pace" better than "accelerate suddenly"

11. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Personally I don't mind it either :D. Just need a good/twisted sense of humour;). After a while even Gill "My word!" Clark can get on your nerves so having mikemike's no commentary feed from time to time is a welcome break (not often enough though).

12. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    John Burgess has his positive and negative style, just like all commentators have.

When I first heard him, I thought he was very annoying. He doesn't stop talking. He's very biased. And he sounded like he's not an expert in badminton because sometimes, he uses terms that are just not in our vocabulary. Or sometimes, he describes situations that I thinik is wrong.

But after several tournaments that he's been commentating, I grew fond of him. He is very lively. His expressions are genuine. And he adds personal touch in his style. He could be entertaining if not overdone. Plus I can see that he's doing his reasearch. He's learning badminton. I feel like he's genuinely interested in the sport.

Once I heard him describe how he had tried playing on the matted court where the players were playing. I think it was his first time playing on that kind of court. He described to his partner, Charmaine, the feel of the floor, the lights ... it was amazing for him. He said that maybe that's the reason why players kept joining the super series. At that time, I felt so much intrigued, because I could also relate, remembering that I also had my first time playing in an amazing court.

You see my point? These personal stuff makes his character interesting. He is genuinely interested in the sport. He is learining. Just like me ... I'm also learning. And anyone who puts his heart into badminton deserves a praise.

13. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    John Burgese

John Burgess has his positive and negative style, just like all commentators have.

When I first heard him, I thought he was very annoying. He doesn't stop talking. He's very biased. And he sounded like he's not an expert in badminton because sometimes, he uses terms that are just not in our vocabulary. Or sometimes, he describes situations that I thinik is wrong.

But after several tournaments that he's been commentating, I grew fond of him. He is very lively. His expressions are genuine. And he adds personal touch in his style. He could be entertaining if not overdone. Plus I can see that he's doing his reasearch. He's learning badminton. I feel like he's genuinely interested in the sport.

Once I heard him describe how he had tried playing on the matted court where the players were playing. I think it was his first time playing on that kind of court. He described to his partner, Charmaine, the feel of the floor, the lights ... it was amazing for him. He said that maybe that's the reason why players kept joining the super series. At that time, I felt so much intrigued, because I could also relate, remembering that I also had my first time playing in an amazing court.

You see my point? These personal stuff makes his character interesting. He is genuinely interested in the sport. He is learining. Just like me ... I'm also learning. And anyone who puts his heart into badminton deserves a praise.

14. sac_man

sac_man Regular Member

Engineer
    John Burgese is Funny

John Burgese is funny guy, I think he just rooting for the underdog,
    as his show his support for Malaysia, well , malaysia used to be British colony, maybe there is the connection..

he always crack me up everytime he says: " that is OUTrageous",
    Malaysia Boleh, Datuk Lee chong Wei is the "Harimau", or " Mati-Lah"

15. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

hey..i lmao on that..:D:p

16. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    JB is unique. Some like him and some hate him. Nevertheless.. its always good to have different character in the scene.

17. Destricto_Ense

Student
    I enjoyed the input of Poul-Erik Hoyer Larsen in the AE last year, past-player opinions are always welcome.

18. sac_man

sac_man Regular Member

Engineer
    Would you care to share with us what those input were ?

19. Destricto_Ense

Student
    Well he provided some technical input ... for example when he was co-commentating on the match between Taufik and Gade, he said that when he played against Taufik he knew that if Taufik came to the net quickly he always played a drop, but if he came slowly, he inevitably played a clear. That sort of insight is what you don't get from people who are solely commentators...

20. OHMAHGAWDZ

OHMAHGAWDZ Regular Member

I enjoy when John Burgess and Gillian Clark commentate during the same match, but not separately. Gil tends to have more technical insight, but can get a little boring at times. John Burgess doesn't provide any deep, meaningful information, but he really does enjoy his badminton (anyone who heard him commentating during the MD WC finals will surely agree). His enthusiasm (along with Gil's presence) makes up for his lack of knowledge.