Taufik's thoughts after his match against LD

Discussion in 'Dutch Open / Denmark Open / French Open 2009' started by Destricto_Ense, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

Okay guys just beat it.

It's great to see TH & LD shaking hands, applauding each other & on the podium posing with arms around each other. LD from the start has tremendous respect/admiration for TH & am glad that
    TH is now aware of it & reciproating. Wonder what LD has to
    say if he gets to read TH's blog.

2. kuwichert

kuwichert Regular Member

consultant

wow, that means we have only 2 SS players:confused::confused: crazy, and it seems that you forgot - or simply don't want to remember:confused: that also LD and LCW sometimes were leaving tournaments in early rounds:eek:

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Ehhmm..

..it's not so much stringent, but i'm just looking @ the facts and reality. Facts & reality show LD and LCW are the only 2 players who've been consistent enough to reach the Finals Rd. and even winning the title.
    Yes, they are the current 1-2 MS players and they have the results to back it up.
    As for BCL:
    - If i recall, he won a SS before, in 2007. In between that and his recent SS tourneys, what has he done/what are his results?
    - Yes, BCL won 2 SS lately when LCW was participating. Let's see what BCL has got to offer in the future. Will he win more SS tourneys with the absence of either or both LD and LCW?
    - I would consider BCL to be on the borderline in the same class as LD and LCW. But i wouldn't put him in the same group as those 2 because simply his record is just not consistent enough to warrant the same classification.
    - Injuries are just a part of his lack of participation.
    - I'm not disqualifying BCL because of his low ranking position. I look at a player's consistency of reaching the Finals Rd. or even winning it all whenever they play in a SS tourney.
    ..yes, unfortunately in my book, those 2 are the only ones who qualify.
    No, i did not forget abt LD's & LCW's early losses or exits. However, i'm sure their early exits/losses are much less in comparison to their Finals Rd. appearances and titles. Let alone to compare the results of those 2 with the other top MS players' results.

If Taufik wants to be considered in the same class as LD & LCW (at least in my book), he's got to reach the Finals Rd. more and start winning some SS tourneys. Otherwise, he'll just have live with and enjoy his GP and GP Gold titles.

#43 ctjcad, Nov 2, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  4. kuwichert

kuwichert Regular Member

consultant
    it's amazing to read the discussion of 'who was the more arrogant player once upon a time. Does it really matter? There is no difference in what Taufik said yesterday regarding Lin Dan to what he said before the Olympics (in Beijing!), during a radio show and in the Badzine interview, it's almost all the same - and it is ok, nothing to do better!
    Regarding badminton, I am really happy that Taufik keeps on playing since watching him is always great entertainment as long as he keeps on fighting, and that he is doing that more constantly now makes tournaments much more interesting for all of us.
    When he wins (hopefully he will soon) a tournament I can already see the comments that this only happened because LD was not there, LD did not want to win, LD was not at his best or whatever it will be - Folks: it really doesn't matter. There are bad and good days for everybody, so lets hope and pray for some better days for Taufik now, we need him. A one man show is boring!

5. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Well we clearly have very different standards then... Why not just make Super Series tournaments a single exhibition match between Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei? Save all the hassle of the early rounds...

Maybe all the other 30 players competing in these tournaments shouldn't bother, and just go and play GP/GP Gold... as apparently they just aren't at Super Series level... right?

Is that really what Super Series standard means?

I don't think this was about whether Taufik is at Lin Dan or Lee Chong Wei's level.

I didn't say Taufik consistently reaches finals. I said he quite consistently reaches semifinals or finals. In other words, he reaches the later rounds of tournaments quite often these days. Perhaps consistently to you means 90%+ of the time. But I don't think that's really realistic in international level sport. There's a lot of competition, and if you think otherwise, well then that says very little for badminton then doesn't it... :(.

#45 phaarix, Nov 2, 2009
  6. kuwichert

kuwichert Regular Member

consultant
    Ups, seems you gotta think about again, something is wrong. LCW was outplayed by LD at Olympics much heavier than Taufik was yesterday, but you consider LCW in higher class than Taufik, and most surprising in the same class LD is playing:confused::confused::confused:

7. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Exactly, it doesn't matter at all... There's no point in holding a grudge against someone you don't know, for something that may or may not have been said in the past. It doesn't affect any of us in any way whatsoever. And if they're getting along just fine now, what's the problem?

And why is it always the same person that brings it up... in every thread (you know who I mean)?

8. Luking

Luking Regular Member

LD could have wait for only 3 secs to show respect to LCW and shake hand
    like other great sportmen would do instead of going away. Everyone knows this could hurt LCW who needed a second to release his emotion due to the victory.

The same case when LD refused to wear the hat given by the organization as this is not an act of showing respect ..

It is not totally irrelevant to say this is an arrogant act since it could be interpreted like that.

BTW it is not my intention to keep remembering this incident since everyone could make mistake in the past .. but remembering that TH did wrong in the past while he now makes a respectful statement towards LD is not done either ..

9. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Yeah, I mean jeez, Taufik can't say anything without causing unnecessary drama! Why the need to always compare these two? It's not really fair on either of them...

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Ehhmm..

- TH, PG, SDK, SS, BCL, CJ and other top MS players could still participate in a SS tourney. No need to have an exhibition between LCW vs. LD.
    But reality, my friend. Reality says, when you gather everything, only LD's and LCW's results speak for themselves. It's not like LD and LCW were given the easy way out to reach the Finals Rd. or winning it all, is it?
    - I'll make it clear, since i probably didn't make it clear earlier. The other top MS players aren't @ the Super Series level like LD & LCW simply because i'm looking at their SS performances and results. More so, how consistent they were in doing so.
    - In my book, that's what a Super Series standard is.:)
    - If it's not about whether Taufik is @ LD or LCW's level, then what is? I'm simply using facts and reality to show the differences between those 3 players. What they've accomplished so far in their SS participation.
    - Are you sure Taufik has been consistent in reaching the SF and Finals Rd. in the SS tourneys he's attended?..Only in the last 3 SS he attended.
    Here, i'll just give you a brief synopsis of TH's SS record (he's played in 21 total SS tourneys, since the inception of the SS format, up until the recent French Open)...start counting;):

21 Jan 2007 PROTON MALAYSIA SUPER SERIES 1/32
    06 May 2007 AVIVA OPEN SINGAPORE SUPER SERIES 2007 1/16
    13 May 2007 DJARUM INDONESIA SUPER SERIES Semi-Finalist
    15 Jul 2007 CHINA SUPER SERIES (1) Quarter-Finalist
    16 Sep 2007 YONEX OPEN JAPAN SUPER SERIES Runner-Up
    28 Oct 2007 DENMARK SUPER SERIES 1/16
    04 Nov 2007 FRENCH SUPER SERIES 2007 Quarter-Finalist
    02 Dec 2007 YONEX-SUNRISE HONG KONG SUPER SERIES 2007 Quarter-Finalist
    20 Jan 2008 Proton Malaysia Open Super Series 2008 1/16
    09 Mar 2008 YONEX All England Super Series 2008 Quarter-Finalist
    16 Mar 2008 Wilson Swiss Open Super Series 2008 Quarter-Finalist
    21 Sep 2008 YONEX Open Japan Super Series 2008 Quarter-Finalist
    28 Sep 2008 LI NING China Masters Super Series 2008 Quarter-Finalist
    02 Nov 2008 French Super Series 2008 Runner-Up
    23 Nov 2008 LI NING China Open Super Series 2008 1/16
    30 Nov 2008 Yonex Sunrise Hong Kong Super Series 2008 Semi-Finalist
    08 Mar 2009 YONEX All England Super Series 2009 Semi-Finalist
    15 Mar 2009 WILSON Swiss Open Super Series 2009 Quarter-Finalist
    17 Jun 2009 DJARUM INDONESIA SUPER SERIES 2009 Runner-Up
    23 Sep 2009 YONEX OPEN JAPAN SUPER SERIES 2009 Runner-Up
    01 Nov 2009 YONEX FRENCH OPEN SUPER SERIES 2009 Runner-Up

Appearances in:
    Final-5x
    Semifinal-3x
    QF-8x
    1/16-4x
    1/32-1x
    (0 titles)

If LCW and LD could do what they've done, i'm sure TH could do the same, right?
    - Yes, LCW was really outplayed by LD in last yr's OG and, in general, LD has a better record in major tourneys. But take that out of the equation and tally up just their SS performances and results and compare with the rest of the top MS players.
    - Thus, I consider LCW and LD in the same class through their results when participating in SS tourneys.

#50 ctjcad, Nov 2, 2009
  11. Luking

Luking Regular Member

That's the risk of being a top sportman, big brother is watching ya ! it is how things work in this world.

hmm what's the fun of this BC forum otherwise :) ?

12. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Plenty! It's just the way it's done... Can't discuss one without the other. Gets a little old... but then you're kind of right. There have been some great reads on this subject :D.

13. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Well that's fine of course! We'll all have a different view of what is so and so standard etc... All I'll say is that in my book, what you're talking about is absolute top of the world standard. Super Series standard is anyone who is able to be competitive with the overall level of the players in the tournament, and who has a reasonable chance of making it to the later rounds, and possibly winning. I wouldn't want to go up to say... PSH or maybe SDK and tell them they weren't Super Series standard.

We just have different books :D. That's all well and good...

Once again, that's because consistent to you seems to mean absolutely every single time. Looking at those records I think they say exactly what I was trying to get across :p. And I thought I made it clear I meant recently. So his results from 2007 etc. are precisely what I'm comparing to ;)!

Actually I don't know about you but that list looks better than I thought it would. I thought he had far more early exits, but apparently not. It does show that he's been more consistent this year than either of the others. So lets take a look at 2009 then:

08 Mar 2009 YONEX All England Super Series 2009 Semi-Finalist
    15 Mar 2009 WILSON Swiss Open Super Series 2009 Quarter-Finalist
    17 Jun 2009 DJARUM INDONESIA SUPER SERIES 2009 Runner-Up
    23 Sep 2009 YONEX OPEN JAPAN SUPER SERIES 2009 Runner-Up
    01 Nov 2009 YONEX FRENCH OPEN SUPER SERIES 2009 Runner-Up

Honestly now... what's wrong with that!? The worst is a QF exit and that in itself is hardly something to be ashamed of.

Why? On current form, he can't. I don't think anyone's really arguing that. So what? He's past his prime, so it's very unlikely we'll be seeing a number one Taufik again. But it doesn't mean he can no longer compete with the best from time to time... The point is he's been playing quite well recently. He's got a better attitude and hopefully that will continue.

#53 phaarix, Nov 2, 2009
  14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Competing with the best of 'em from time to time will do...

- Sure, you can say PG, SDK, BCL, CJ, PSH, BP can & "are able to be competitive with the overall level of the players in a SS tourney and have a reasonable chance of making it to the later rounds".
    But being competitive and actually doing it consistently, reaching the Semis and Finals Rd., and then winning them quite often, are 2 different things.
    That's what separates the Super Series level players from the rest.
    - No, not absolutely every single time. I'd say 8 out of 10 times or 80% would be considered consistent. The SS started in 2007 and Taufik's record of reaching at least the Semifinals and Finals Rd. since 2007 is less than 50%. I'd say, looking @ his record, Taufik is consistently inconsistent.;)
    - From this yr's record, all i can see is, he's been a "consistent" Runner-up finisher. Remember also, this is this yr's record. We don't know yet how he'll do next yr. He could finally win a SS title or he could simply tank it in.
    There's nothing wrong with those finishes, if one is happy abt not winning a title and just enjoying a QF, SF or Runner-Up finish;).
    - Suuure he can "compete with the best from time to time", here and there.......just like SS, SDK, PSH, BP, NTM, Hafiz Hashim can compete with the best of them from time to time, here and there...yet, where's the SS title for Taufik?

#54 ctjcad, Nov 2, 2009
  15. tckang

tckang Regular Member

Con man (I do sales)
    Thanks BIG time Einstein for keeping the dates to the exact day and year.
    To us The so called "funny" Malaysian fans, we care not whether or not who wins or loses, but how one wins and how one loses, also maybe we are not so FREE until the extend to remember which year this incident took place, or the whole nation just "freeze" to remember it. :rolleyes:
    And FYI, that "Stupid" hat is a part of country culture, just like the Red Indians to the Americans, and the Aborigines to the Australia. I wonder if this event is held in other parts of the world , will i hear the nice adjective "stupid" ??? It's amazing with the modern technology in internet, and the fact someone so detailed in remembering up to the day and years can be ignorant enough to not knowing other country's culture. And it's not even about the hat, i think the key thing is somebody "matured" threw his racket and the mock cheque away :D

I rest my case.
    Let archive be archives.

16. kuwichert

kuwichert Regular Member

consultant
    folks, may be that brings some fun into the discussion:confused::
    What the givl is so important about the SS titles:confused: Much more important are Olympics and world championships, so where are the olympic's titles, where are the WC titles of the current players:confused:
    may be my memory is down, but I remember only two names, Taufik and Dan:eek: - I do miss LCW who is playing in higher class than all the other SS players except Lin Dan - mymy,
    good that we do not need to pay for that 'single line book' ctjcad has written for us, think only two names even do not fill that first line:D:D:D

17. bestco

bestco Regular Member

You still didn't admit you used the wrong word. The fact is, LD didn't "refuse" to shake hands with LCW as you claimed. If you refuse to admit this then I'll take it you simply have hatreds toward this player and wanted to badmouth him.

The point is, how could LD refuse to shake hands with LCW when he initiated the move to congrat him? heck LD later even shook hands with the two umpires who he was very upset with on some calls they made. So what makes you think he had disrespect for LCW? If anything, LD has repeatedly showed his most upper respect for LCW (same for Taufik) in all of his interviews I've seen. You probably don't know these two are good friends, do you? LCW invited LD to his house for diner when LD was in Malaysia (vise versa when LCW went to China). So you think LD would have more respect for the umpires he disliked than his own friend? Get real.

Yes you could say LD didn't handle the 06 incident the right way, you could fault him for not staying long enough to shake hands with LCW, you could even argue that's bad sportsmanship, but to say that's arrogance you clearly got it all wrong. It's more about a player who got upset with the loss or felt embassed by the situation and did't react properly more than anything else. Over-confidence? Yes. Arrogance? Hardly any. The thing with LD is, he's a very emotional player, whether it's a win or loss it shows on his face. That's what makes people either love him or hate him. Througout the years he has learned his own mistakes and grown to be more mature at controlling his emotions.

#57 bestco, Nov 2, 2009
  18. arowana

arowana Regular Member

-
    very short book indeed...Super Series level player is a player who plays SS events... to add some odd comment to this already very strange thread :)

19. bestco

bestco Regular Member

I think SS started in 07, that's when TFK was on his decline, but still it's pretty amazing he hasn't won one yet.

20. majyun

majyun Regular Member

@cooler
    It was quite clear from the posts above that you are the one who is living with old faulty grudges. I have not read a single word of TH disrespecting LD in the first post. Was it necessary for you to dig out the statements made by TH so many years ago to vent your hate? If you must, do it somewhere else where somebody cares, i.e. to your family members.

@Luking
    If you know that cooler is just being himself, i.e. a LD's fan.Then probably you will understand him a lot better. I am sure that you have realized that nothing good will ever come out from certain LD's fans, (LD's fanboyism maybe?) except insisting on how godly LD is. Sadly, the prize hat(which was labelled as "stupid") has become the victim this time after they are bored with blaming TH and LCW. Probably it is best to just ignore these individuals all together for your own peace of mind.