Winex vs Yonex

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by KayTeckHui, Sep 16, 2009.

1. KayTeckHui

KayTeckHui Regular Member

Social Worker
    Dear all,

I am looking for new badminton rackets such as Arcsaber 10 and Armortec 900 Power. However as we know that Yonex rackets are mostly expensive.

Hence, one of the shops has introduced me to consider of buying Winex, which he claimed that Winex is imitation of Yonex and it is much cheaper!

Thus I am very keen to get more opinion about it.
    I will be very appreciative if you all could share your input on this matter.

I am also interested to find out is there another brand of racket that would perform or have the same characteristic of Arcsaber 10 and Armortec 900 power.

Thank you!

Warmest Regards
    Teck Hui

2. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

According to Winex's owner, his company was OEM of Yonex.
    Last year I was about to bring Winex racket (Yonex ArcSaber 10 clone) to Singapore, and the price is less than SGD 50/piece, but nobody interest.
    If I'm not wrong, the only shop which carry Winex in Singapore is Arctic Pacific

3. coolcat

coolcat Regular Member

manager
    Hi Teck Hui, I never tried Winex before, so unable to comment on their quality and performance. However, I would recommend that you consider brands like Victor, Sotx, Babolat etc if you're looking for another alternative to Yonex. I am not a fan of "compatible" or "clone" brands, prefer to purchase the real McCoy. My $0.02.

Regards,

4. KayTeckHui

Social Worker
    Hi maa2003,

Thank you for replying. You are bingo on the shop that I am referring to.
    So do you think it is worth to invest on Winex since the owner was the OEM of Yonex?
    btw, what is OEM?
    And which is the clone of Yonex ArcSaber 10 in Winex?

Thank you for being the first to reply my thread.
    Teck Hui

5. KayTeckHui

Social Worker
    Hi coolcat,

Thank you for your input, I am appreciated.
    I will consider of looking out for other brand after some research Winex.

Hope you have a good day in whatever you are doing!
    Teck Hui

6. ilovedude

ilovedude Regular Member

Original Equipment Manufacture, that means company A is producing a racket and according to the specs Yonex wants to buy them and company A will stencil their rackets with the paint specs from Yonex. The same racket if Apacs is interested they will package the exact same racket for Apacs with their paint requirement on it. As a result both Apacs and Yonex are selling the same identical rackets with different brands. But your story about Winex I never heard of.

7. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

if the price is below SGD 70 then it is worth (because the agent price of Winex is really damn cheap .... hehez), but if more than SGD 100, then I prefer to buy Victor.
    you can check at their website : www.winex.com.tw

8. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    Teck Hui, what's your budget ? Why did you end up considering Arc10 and AT900P ? Both are different as Arc10 is a all rounder and AT900P is more for attacking play.

My opinion is that you can't have a racquet which cost so much less and yet perform 100% to the original, the cost savings has to come from somewhere.

If you are fixated to Yonex, you can definitely consider other brands which offers good alternative and at a lower price.

This is my pick :

< $100 : Karakal, SOTX
    $101 - $150 : Victor, SOTX, Babolat, Zelm
    $151 - $200 : Mizuno, Yonex high end models (TH coded)

Based on your style, I suggest a stiffer racquet as you do love to smash smash smash !

If you are not adverse to getting 2nd hand but considered brand new racquet as seldom used, you can PM me.

9. KayTeckHui

Social Worker
    Dear ilovedude,

Thank you for your explanation.
    I was informed earlier about Apacs till the introduction of Winex.
    So that is the reason that I have decided to post this thread to gather more information. Thank you for you time to share.

regards
    Teck Hui :)

#9 KayTeckHui, Sep 16, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  10. KayTeckHui

Social Worker
    Hi maa2003,

I have been offered for around $80 - $130 for different types of Winex.
    Have you tried the rackets? If yes, would you kindly share your review.

regards
    Teck Hui:p

11. KayTeckHui

Social Worker

Hi teoky,

I am an okay player, however I am better in smashing :p, which my smashing is also so so. So I was thinking of trying Arc and AT just to give it a try.

Thank you for your offering, I also have a few friends who are also interested in buying new rackets but they are not too sure about Winex. I will check with them about your offer and will get back to you if we are interested in your offer.

Thanks a lot!
    Hope you have a nice day!
    Teck Hui :D

12. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

At ~S$100, I'd strongly recommend looking at the ZELM especially if you love smashing. In fact, if the ARC10 were the same price as ZELM, I'd still take the ZELM anyday. I can't handle the AT900 so that's a wash for me.

You might also want to look at Victor, SOTX, Karakal, and Wilson. Try to test out as much racket as possible and make a list about the attributes of both the rackets (like stiffness, head heaviness, feel) and string (type, tension).

I have never played with Winex so I will not know if it's on par with Yonex. I have my doubts that they OEM the high end Yonex.

13. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    Don't be so humble leh, you did well in the mixed doubles match last weekend against my friends. You did multiple smashes from baseline until my friends all faint ! :D

14. KayTeckHui

Social Worker
    Hi teoky,

oh my god!!! I didn't expect that it is you. :p
    Hee hee, thank you for your advices, I am still learning and growing. I guess there is a long way to go for me!
    I feels great in playing with you and your friends, the level of the game is different and yet challenging. Would love to play more again with your group!

Thank you for the "coaching" while playing with you. So that I could take note of the areas of improvement. Will try to remember and improve on it.

So you have lobang about the rackets, will discuss with you more when we meet up. However my group will be playing at Hougang on the coming Sunday.

I am thinking of investing on a racket that would enhance my playing, I think can engage you more since you have seen how I play in my games.

Warmest Regards
    Teck Hui

15. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

never tried before, because it is not suitable for me, sorry.

16. KayTeckHui

Social Worker

Hi maa2003,
    could I ask a bit more for my understanding, in what way it is not suitable to you since you have never try it before.

Thank you
    Teck Hui :)

17. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    I have a Winex about 9 years back (it's now in my storage bag) - the impression I have with that then was ok - nothing special but no significant flaw too, just average. But you cannot complain much with that price range.

Having said that, I have a friend who loves Winex. He bought many from Bangkok whenever he went there for biz trip. He told me the price there ranges from SGD40-60. Perhaps he got that kind of price because he bought 3-4 rackets at one go.

My point is, opinion on racket vary from one to another, and sometimes could be very different. My take is always "if you like it and can afford it, buy it!". It probably save you a lot of headache from too much consideration.

18. hola4

hola4 Regular Member

Winex is a taiwan base company. If they OEM for Yonex, there will only do the mid-range Yonex racket. All high-end racket like Arc10 and AT900 are make in Japan only. So if Winex make a clone high-end look alike Yonex racket, it does not mean there are using the same materials.;)

19. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    I don't think you can do a straight comparison between Yonex and Winex or any of the clonex manufacturers. Obviously Winex also produces other models that are not clones of the Yonex line.

The so-called Yonex-clones from Winex are different in several ways:
    - the materials used might be different or in different quantities compared to Yonex
    - the shaft flex is softer than Yonex
    - no built-in T-joint (a Yonex patent).

Having said that, why would you buy Winex? A number of reasons, some of which includes:
    - pricing
    - suitability of the racquets. Not everyone like the stiffness of the Yonex models and Winex offers a different version. Like everything else, one has to find the right racquet for their playing style and capability.
    - it is as durable as Yonex (seems to be the benchmark that most people use for comparison).

I've played with the Winex racquets since 2000 and have not had any major problems with the quality of the racquets (have they broke, yeah but in clashes, mishits etc just like any other brand).

It's good to try other stuff so as to get a more-rounded experience with different things ;)

20. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

agree with most of what you say except durability of Yonex... not quite. I think Yonex's QC is excellent but the products are not always designed to last.