any tips for serving short in singles?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by logicalguy, Sep 16, 2009.

1. logicalguy

logicalguy Regular Member

Hi, how do i serve short in singles and avoid having the birdie hit flat and to the backhand corner behind me?

2. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Technically, it's not possible to prevent that. You can mitigate the effect of the flat push by not serving (short) to your backhand side of his court (i.e. do not serve to his extreme right if you are a right hander). Anyway, be prepared to cover pushes to either side by not standing too near the service line.

3. Mathieu

Mathieu Regular Member

Student
    If your low serve is good and you stand at the right spot, you should not have too much trouble reaching the third shot: don't forget that your opponent cannot put as much pressure on your low serve as he can in doubles. If he is standing too close at the front, flick it over his head.

And remember to do your split step after you serve (make sure you land your split step near the center of the court, or in front of your opponent; don't stay on the same spot where you just served): if your serve is good, I suggest you keep your racket foot forward and get ready to move to cover any reply.

Good luck

4. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    You have to practice jumping side to side and intercepting those shots. Having your racquet up immediately after you serve helps

5. saifiii

saifiii Regular Member

dont use a short hand grip for serving short in singles. stand back a bit and make sure ur flick serve and short serve look exactly the same right till that last hitting moment

6. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

i also have that problem. the best way for me personally is to serve with my forehand (whether long or short). i feel it can be more deceptive.
    Chen Hong serves using his forehand too.

7. logicalguy

logicalguy Regular Member

yeah thanks for your replies, it all makes sense. I've been watching some videos online and I've noticed very few returns to the short serve get pushed to the rear backhand corner. I wonder why...

8. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

my guess is that at the top level, players are always trying to get on the attack (i.e. force opponent to lift). so instead of them lifting, they would play a shot that would make their opponent lift.

also, many top players are fast enough to counter any drives off the serve.

9. mettayogi

mettayogi Regular Member

It is difficult to make forehand low and high serve look the same and be consistently in. Do you master that? How?

10. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

i use quite a huge swing for both, with the short serve being a slice. usually my opponents will start moving backwards and will have to change their momentum to return the short serve. it does not work every single time but it's better than getting attacked on the short serve.

11. Armortec2010

Armortec2010 Regular Member

when the opponet pushes to your backhand low, try to intecept instead of moving backwards.

As he will be quite close to the net by this time, try doing a flat push (straight) or a relatively flat lift (to his backhand), which are quite effective.

One thing is do not get deceived by his arm movements, as most players only need a flick to push.

12. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
    Many skills you acquire while playing with law quality players can work against you later when you play with an advanced player. Singles low serve and high serve are entirely different technique and a mild discrepancy will be cashed in by an advanced player. See how NMT attacks! Even the best high serves are smashed hard and any lapse-u r dead.

13. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

point taken. but no, they are not law/low quality players. in fact, some of them are better than me.

14. nprince

nprince Regular Member

Engineer
    Good-Just warned you because I had all wrong fancy shots untill I started palying with professionals (15 years back)

15. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

if u think u are fast enough to go back to your back position weither backhand or forehand, u can always do this short serve,

16. baronspill

baronspill Regular Member

Any advice on whether to low serve with pace or not?

My experience:

A low serve with pace takes away time from the returner and makes it harder for them to use deception, however it's more difficult to land the shuttle on or just beyond the service line.

A low velocity serve makes it easier to get more dip on a shuttle after crossing the tape and accuracy is better but leaves the server open to deceptions, holds and flicks etc.

17. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

You just answered your own question. Depends what kind of opponent you have. Is he good with deceptive shots or rather a slow mover. Either way, good to possess both serves (with accuracy and low pace, and a fast but less accurate low serve).

18. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

serving short is a suicide in Men's singles.

Be the regular club hacker, and send that first serve as high as the roof ceiling aka Ratchanok Intanon.

Don't try to look cool. ''Woah! Look at that guy with his backhand serve ''

19. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Why? You just have to deal with deceptive lifts and net shots.

20. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

If you have a terrible footwork, stay away from that short serve.

Rob3rt likes this.