most badminton players are sucko !!!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Wins, Jul 9, 2001.

1. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    it was in singapore... the woman used to coach in Sg skool :D

Not u la.. dun worry!

2. 1and1giv2

1and1giv2 Regular Member

ok folks, heres the truth.
    There are all kinds of players in this world.
    Some might be friendly and good, some are not.
    So, if you think he is no good and arrogant, then just **** him, and
    go find another guy to play with.
    so many ppl playing badminton in this world yo!
    :cool:

3. Swingbadabada

Swingbadabada Regular Member

Student
    One thing I've realised people are sayins is that they don't like playing with players of a lesser ability but like playing with players of a higher ability. Does that higher ability person really want to play with you? Sometimes beginners need to be cut some slack and just give them a game.

4. RocKai

RocKai Regular Member

Hospitality
    I think I'm too impatient to play with people who are wannabes or just plain **** but think they are really good. I'd rather play with people who aren't really good but at least try hard and improve their game over the time.

Also, playing with beginners, I will try to level the playing field so they don't feel like they're a moving hitting target practice lol. Practice the back hand and drop shots for them.

5. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    It's easier to make judgements about who sucks and who doesn't once at a higher level, but it's worth noting that everyone starts with no experience and basically no skill.

I love playing against the higher-level players, since they help me in every aspect of the game simply by playing against me and occasionally training me in more specific ways. However, I still play with people of lower levels, and it's rewarding to help peopple improve as well. Without people of higher levels playing with lower-level players, those low-level players will never make it to their potential.

Of course, it must be noted that there are plenty of arrogant fools and beginners out there, many who lecture their betters or ignore advice or act as jerks. Nonetheless, it is unfair to generalize all beginners as these kind of people.

6. Heong

Heong Regular Member

I used to play at a club where everyone was better than me, and if you were me, you'd feel excluded and whenever you appear on court, you'd find people reluctant to go on court with you. It's sad, but inevitable, and that's probably the only negative thing about badminton, is that levels of skill can be so variable and that people judge you whether you're pro or beginner.

Unlike soccer, it's a common game where a whole group can play and it's very easy to just kick the ball and blend into the game.

7. SibugiChai

YAB
    MOTIVATION!

When i started badminton about 10years ago, I used to be scold like nobody business by those UNCLES...

that motivated me to be better...

NOW! They hardly can get 5points outta me and I enjoy bashing in them because it brings back all THOSE *Sweet* memories...

8. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    On the issue of playing with someone who is weaker - there is a whole world of difference whether that player is just of lower skill level or a pure beginner.

I do play with pure beginners, during those sports events organised by the company. It is actually very tiring playing with them because in order to keep the game going, I would have to hit the shuttle to precise location where they can hit a return, whilst I have to try to retrieve all the returns that are quite unpredictable because of their non-conventional swing of the racket.

I did that because I realised how my opponent would have feel when I started playing badminton many year back. I must have gone through the same stage and process of learning because players who were better than me then gave me a chance and kept my interest going.

Everone of us would have started off as a beginner when we learn how to play badminton. We would have hope to play with someone better so to improve our skill. So when we are now a better player (hopefully!), we do have the responsibility to return that favour or duties to the new beginners. Only through these cycles, this beautiful game will live on.

9. hduong

hduong Regular Member

I play for 2 reasons, love of the game and to get exercise. I usually play at my community center during drop in badminton twice a week. There can be up to 20 people that show up. There are beginners and intermediate and few people in between. No Advance players who take things too seriously - which is a good thing. We all just rotate so everybody plays with everybody. So you are bound to play with beginners through out the night. I don't mind playing with beginners as we were all like that at one point and lets you rest a bit:). And none of the others seems to care as well. With beginner, the intermediate players usually don't smash very hard or rush the net for kills.

However having said all that, I find it most fun to play with people slightly above or below you. Games where you can go all out win or lose. I also play with 3 friends that are roughly the same skill level. We always have fun as the games are always close and any team can win.

10. biomik

biomik Regular Member

I've been playing badminton for 5-6 years now, slowly improving and progressing. In those years I did face (and still do) lots of attitude from players that are way better than me (which I understand but do not approve of) and also those that are only marginally better or not better at all. We have 'advanced' group of players here who pretty much don't play with my level players or if they do, they drop the level of their game and make ton of mistakes. I do think that in badminton you encounter more people with inflated egos and arrogant attitude, partially because of the poor image of the sport here in the West. For my part, I am trying not to treat beginners the same way but often I notice that I avoid playing with them or if I do, change my game and play slower with lots of lifting etc.

11. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    This is to people who keep saying "oh I don't mind play with lower level people and beginner who BARELY ABLE TO GET 1 POINT from me" Yes I did say I do not like playing with people who can only able to get 1 point from me. And for people up there keep saying they don't mind which mean they are agree with playing against those kind of players at that skill level.
    So here is the question. What if you happen just able to play with those kind of people for your entire life, well let's make it 1 year to be more realistic. What if you happen to be stuck with them for 1 year, 1 yearrrr. Do you still going to stay one spot and continue on or move somewhere else?

Realize this please, if you stay which mean your skill level will stay the same or even drop down dramaticly. And do you find any FUN in your skill being stay at the same spot or dragged down?

12. ionoo

ionoo Regular Member

I would put handicaps on myself if I play against people who can only get that amount on me. Handicaps as in like no clear, no drops, no drives or something. If that is not enough then I will play lifts and practice defense (assuming they can hit the bird). Like if their smash is really slow or easily defended by me I would challenge myself by standing much closer.

Basically find anyway possible I can to improve even if the skill level between my opponent and me may be really far.

About the fun aspect, if the person really cannot hit the bird as in keep a rally (like hit back and forth once or twice) then yeah I as well would not really have any fun. I would instead try to help them so we can get a rally in the future, it would benefit me in that I have one more person to hit with and benefit the person by improving in badminton.

No I do not know if I find it fun if I stay at the same level because I strive to be a better player. I want an occasional challenge at least otherwise everything is a cakewalk. I partially find badminton fun because of the fact that it is challenging. So take away the challenge for a very long time and the fun goes down for me.

13. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    There are badminton players who are impressive skillwise but poor when it comes to tactics.

I know a couple of players like this. They really look impressive on court because of their strong backhand smash, amazing defense, strength, agility, fitness, etc.

Usually, they are good singles players. But in doubles, they tend to become inconsiderate and arrogant. Being the weaker player, of course they would blame everything on you, even their own errors.

Sometimes it confuses me because they still apply their singles tactics in doubles. We all know that doubles is totally and tactically different from singles, right? They keep on lifting ... so arrogant to show that they're confident with the defense. They just don't know that they expose their weaker partner to strong smashes. Another thing is that they usually don't commit to the front court. Once the weaker player is pinned at the back doing weaker smashes, they wouldn't intercept or block. It just confuses me why they don't know that attacking from the front court gives more chances of winning.

At first, I was really impressed with how they make a shot. But after learning tactics from BC and constatntly watching videos of international badminton opens, I realized that these level A players are nothing compared to Lin Dan, Lee Chong Wei, Lee Yong Dae, Jonas Rasmussen (I hope he's reading this), Fu and Cai, etc.

There's even one player who commented that he doesn't watch international baddy opens because all he sees there are basic shots. That's really a sign of arrogance. I bet he wouldn't even score a point with Lin Dan.

14. chrisnchips

chrisnchips Regular Member

Student
    OHH GAWDD...

yeah.. i hate it too when obviously higher players always deflate their game when playing against me, etc... I mean.. not even making it that hard to help me improve or ne thing too.

I always feel like i should ask them to pleassse, PLAY YOUR ALL and BAGEL me if u can! Free target practice!
    ... just cuz i want something that i can work up to and improve WITH the experience I need to know where and how I can get up another level. :confused:

15. SibugiChai

YAB
    This one I am quite sure... 99.999999% of social player cant get 1point from Lin Dan IF LD play SERIOUSLY!

16. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Yes! If Lin Dan serve a long service. :D [unforced error]

17. SibugiChai

YAB
    top players dont make UNFORCED ERROR against social players

because NO PRESSURE.... They dont even have to try to hit as hard or to the line... like they do when the Versus Top player:D

18. jk1980

jk1980 Regular Member

They probably won't even want to waste their time. Unless they r about to retire or something. Then u won't get to see them in their top form

19. gamepurpose

gamepurpose Regular Member

unemployeed
    wow now people actually agree with my comment that was the first. When i actually write it clearly and make NOTES.

This is what I think and will help for beginners. Be open mind, actually go ask people at same level and play with them. Or at least slightly higher than you are. That way you will have fun game and you can improve IF AND ONLY IF you are really want to get better.

FOR IMPROVEMENT: usually only people who actually have their mind set on improve in something, they'll definitely improve from the games they play. And of course some people who can't really improve by game, go ask someone higher level for advice, don't be shy.

2 out come is going to happen, Rejected or accepted.
    However, if you get a rejection which mean that person just show you a bad side of them, and I wouldn't even want to talk or play with those kind of people.
    2nd accepted which is wow great. you'll able to learn something new and you will improve your game.

I wouldn't recommend you go challenge a person who can bagel you. 2 things will happen. 1 not a good game for that person. 2 he or she going to go easy on you. It's just the mentality; i'm sure you'll do the same thing when that's happen like everybody else said "oh i'll give them handicap game"

20. SibugiChai

YAB
    bet 20k with them or minium 1k... they will show u their power...

this sunday u can go challenge Yogi...

:cool: