Badminton commentators - what do we think of them?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Mini Me, Aug 21, 2008.

1. HunglikeAbull

HunglikeAbull Regular Member

Gillian Clark is to badminton as what Phil Liggett is to the Tour De France. I just LOVE them. They bring drama and color to the sport.

Note too that the producers install mics around the court so we folks watching on TV can hear every shoe squeak, every killer smash, heck, even the perfectly placed bunt, every scream of exultation and frustration. Like actually being there. Makes for a great experience, don't you think?

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Gill Clark's "colour" comes in the form of her still showing amazement at what players can do even after 20 odd years in the sport. I think it makes her commentary accessible to badminton non-afficianados and fanatics alike - a Taufik backhand smash has the same effect on her as it would on us mere mortals:D.

Morten provided, IMO, a really amusing counterpoint to her enthusiasm in the AE this year - for example, Gill is almost speechless at a player's recovery from lying down to hitting a winning smash through the floor, and Morten's more measured response is "well played... good shot." He's seen it all before, so he can analyse it from a more neutral perspective, making his insights more suited to the devoted and knowledgeable fans.

3. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

gillian clark is popular with this verse>> 'wow, how on earth can she/he do that'? wonderful!:D:D

4. the_oro

the_oro Regular Member

pretty boring profile -_-
    or how about, "my word, his ability to suddenly inject pace is incredible"

gill's commentary's been a bit flat this year though, but she's still by far the best

5. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    "That guy" usually compares LCW to a horse because he's as fit as that animal. However, in our country, when you're being compared to a horse, it means that you're ugly. I know "that guy" is a very enthusiastic commentator. But good Lord!!! He just couldn't shut up even during rallies!!!! :mad: It's no fun watching badminton if you don't here the sound of hitting the shuttle, nor even the sound of the shoes squeaking. Can someone please extend our message for "that guy" to at least stop talking during rallies, or stop being obviously biased, or stop talking about his personal life. Please!!!!

6. madbad

madbad Regular Member

John Burgess rules

7. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Too bad, Oldhand no understand malay :D:p. Hasbullah is the best RTM 1 commentator so far, the others are worse, they cant get the names of even Msia players right (Lin Woon Fui became Woon Fui Lin in 2008 Spore SS) :(.

Stimes I wonder is Hasbullah A. is giving a lesson on "How to use proverbs (peribahasa) in sports commentating" ;). At times, Hasbullah's in excitement, sounds like he's commentating football - "Ohhh, saudara, bola panjang jauh ke belakang, sayang sekali" , "Wah, cantik sungguh pukulan itu" and proceeds to explain how difficult it was to excute the shot.

8. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Errrr, some of BC's "on site" commentators can actually do a better job, free of charge. Just look at... SS Finals daily threads, 2008 Msia SS, and a few others -> where BC members at the stadium provided live scores(when there's no tv & tourney software), more accurate descriptions. And they're just badminton fans.

Hence the higher expectations amongst members for those who paid to do it.:D

9. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Regular Member

Uni Student
    Our local football commentators are very versatile.
    Most of them are able to comment on boxing, volleyball, and badminton matches as well.
    :D:D:D

10. Serendibb

Serendibb Regular Member

Just want to rant that recent SS events have horrible commentatings (especially those from GDTV). The resident commentator tend to dominate the whole session even thought they have an expert commentator at the same time. I think that when you have John B or other non pro badminton commentators, I sort of adjust to the fact that only perhalps 10% of what they say will benefit my plays.

In the past, I always tend to enjoy chinese commentating more then those in English because they tend to get world class retired players (like Zhao Jian Hua) in their studios for big matches. Chinese commentators also know that alot of their target audience are badminton enthusiast and will give advice about how to adopt a particularly good shot into their games. I find that this approach tends to draw me into the game. Recent matches where ZJH is commentating is lack lustre, probably because of his partner dominating the commentory.

I personally find that CCTV5 commentating to be the best there is. The non pro commentators always speak little and tend to ask their expert commentators alot of questions regarding their analysis of the current players, current state of playing, momentum of game etc. They also welcome emails and smses from viewing audiences to post questions to expert commentators.

My most memorable session of commentating was during either 05/06 China Open MS Finals between Lin Dan and Peter Gade where it was the first SS tournament to have the 21 rally point system tried out. The commentator was Li Yong Bo and I find that he is very articulate, gives healthy respect to Peter Gade and unbiased commentary regarding each person's strength and weaknesses. I also get to hear the sort of advice he would give to players during intervals at different stage of the game. Definately provides alot of insight to how the chinese coaches think and how I should be thinking too during games.

Comparetively, English commentating are more mundane and less exciting even from Clarke and Morten Frost. A backhand smash winner from Taufik, from the back of the court or mutiple diving saves and then a winner from Lin Dan is amazing for sure but she tends to use it for even a jumping smash and then says "How on earth does he do it?" I'd rather she just say, that's a good shot and explain to me why she finds it so good because I would expect all the pros to be able to execute multiple jump smashes.

11. Isegrim

Isegrim Regular Member

hasbullah awang did commentate with gillian clark on wc2009????

i still remember "extraordinary, extraordinary,extraordinary... -.-

#111 Isegrim, Aug 23, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  12. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    It was cool when Gillian had partners in her commentating, like Morten Frost,
    Poul-Erik Høyer Larsen, or Darren Hall.

13. cyclone9

cyclone9 Regular Member

i hate the word "injection of pace" always used @_@

14. findecano1

findecano1 Regular Member

Customer Service Exec
    Add "SUDDEN" in front :D

15. HaoFung

HaoFung Regular Member

16. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
  17. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    I disagree with you that Hasbullah Awang is the best commentator. As I highlighted in red, this remark is sometimes due to say, a poor return by the opponent, hence the winner managed to kill the shuttle easily and he would say "cantik". Another example is : in football, when the passer sent a ball so far that it was impossible for his intended recipient to receive the ball, he would say, the receiver could not control the ball (tak dapat dikawal oleh...).

Both John Burges and Hasbullah are as far as sports commentaries are concerned, Jack of all trade and Master of none, as I have mention before. In fact, if I am not wrong, John did say he is/was a badminton coach to school kids.

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

19. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

i hope u do check it out post made by me in the wc side news and a couple of thread in the badminton tournament video sharing section of the forum threads;)

20. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee

Sorry Sir, went to the link posted by ctjcad and saw your posts.