Bad mistake by umpire in MD final

Discussion in 'World Championships 2009' started by Akim1, Aug 16, 2009.

1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2743
    re-quoting from kwun's post

12. SERVICE COURT ERRORS

12.1 A service court error has been made when a player:
    12.1.1 has served out of turn;
    12.1.2 has served from the wrong service court; or
    12.1.3 standing in the wrong service court, was prepared to receive the service and it has been delivered.
    12.2 If a service court error is discovered after the next service has been delivered, the error shall not be corrected.12.3 If a service court error is discovered before the next service is delivered:
    12.3.1 if both sides commiteed an error, it shall be a 'let'
    12.3.2 if one side committed the error and won the rally, it shall be a 'let'
    12.3.3 if one side committed the error and lost the rally, the error shall not be corrected
    12.4 If there is a 'let' because of a service court error, the rally is replayed with the error corrected.
    12.5 If a service court error is not to be corrected, play in that game shall proceed without changing the players' new service courts (nor, when relevant, the new order of serving).
    -----------------------------

Also not often mentioned, it is a service fault if the height of the racket frame top exceeded the racket hand knuckles.

#41 cooler, Aug 21, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  2. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    If there is any mistake happened in this WC......there is no comparison to the obvious mistakes made Umpire during French Open...( MD: KKK/TBH ve JAPAN)..

3. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    The service judge rule oftentimes become controversial. Maybe not for the one in favor of getting the point.

Last night, I played with someone who did a double motion. Not the kind that Kamilla did in the 2009 WC XDF. It was really a double stroke, intentionally making a first stroke to confuse me, and then hitting the shuttle at the second stroke. I complained saying that it was illegal. And then he said that it was my service that's illegal because it was above he waist. I don't know if it was sourgraping because they were losing big time. And there weren't even a service judge there.

In the course of reading this thread, I think it would be better if they revise the rule. Gill Clark said the call of the service judge is irrevocable, that there's nothing the players can do about it. So, instead of giving out points to the opponents of the server who was called by the service judge with an error, why not make the first call a let and give a 2nd service just like in tennis. That way, a point would not be garnered especially during crucial situations.

4. ytyang

ytyang Regular Member

Your proposal is from the player's point of view, but it still fails
    to address the subjective 'waist line' issue. Also the side effect
    is that plays might always try fault service on the 1st serve and
    hope not being caught.

I think I've seen somewhere mentioned that the new rule might
    be as long as the contact point is below a certain height, then
    it is okay or something like that.

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I too think the 'let' service is not a good idea. It only delays the game unnecessarily and departs from the present rally-point expediency that makes it clear, short and sweet.

I also agree that some players would take advantage of your 'let' proposal to test the patience and consistency of the service judge. In most matches the service judge is unlikely to be changed unless he made massive blunders and is challenged many times by players from both sides. So the same judge with the same pair of eyes will oversee the serves of all the players and he is expected to be impartial. Unless the SJ is biased, as it could happen with players from his own country, then the present service rule should continue.

BWF should find a better way to solve the problem. Recently for important tournaments, international judges from other countries have been sent to officiate to make judging as neutral as possible. But judges are humans and can make mistakes now and then. So how can we make judging consistent without resorting to machines? But machines can also fail at the crucial moments. :D

6. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Anyway, 'the rice had already became porridge'. I hope all the umpires will be more careful next time. And i also hope BWF reads this thread;)

7. markham player

markham player Regular Member

medical
    Bad service judge calls both in MD & XD as I can see, they involve too much of the games, no good like that.

8. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Actually, i think it's "padi had became porridge" :cool: no offence.