Lee Yong Dae ( 이용대 / 李龍大)

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by taufik_lin16, Jul 14, 2006.

1. asphyxiate

asphyxiate Regular Member

Agreed.
    Who knows by 2012 what the international scene will be like; things can change so quickly!
    If he continues on the path he's currently on I think he'll be good. JJS is pretty good, although in three years he'll be around 30 already. Same with Lee Hyo Jung. As much as I like her I think LYD should look for a different partner who does not make as many defensive errors.

2. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

How about..

..in the XD?? LHJ can still be relied upon??..
    Or simply the blame should not really be on his partners?? That all of LYD's struggles is because he's been playing/carrying the team too much in 2 events, tourneys in and tourneys out??..

3. ytyang

ytyang Regular Member

As for LHJ, I think I'll keep my opinion to myslf.....:)

4. pramana

pramana Regular Member

Have any of you think out sourcing?
    The question is, are you playing for your country or yourself?

If LYD really wants to excel on XD, he probably has to begin searching Chinese players. There are many options and I am sure one will be pleased to be selected as his partner.

The MD is already good. Sometimes, you are not in the peak of your performance. You can see how Zhang Bo was weak when he paired with Ma Jin against the Euro XD. In other day, ZB was so fierce and deadly.

So, the option is to do outsourcing or stand on itself and let his performance max out at this level.

#2424 pramana, Aug 18, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  5. ytyang

ytyang Regular Member

Outsourcing for Chinese players? No kidding... LYB won't let
    it happen...

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

You mean..

..you're suggesting LYD to play as an independent player (not attached to the national team)?? If so, his XD partner would have to be an independent player as well?? CHN players?? Then has gotta be one who has retired from the national squad (ex. Gao Ling, if she wants to).
    For individual tourneys, they could do so, just like how Tony & Candra did.
    However, in team events (Sudirman Cup, Thomas & Uber Cups), his XD partner must be allowed by the KOR national body to play as team events are country-based tourneys.

#2426 ctjcad, Aug 18, 2009
  7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i wonder if LYD doesn't play XD at all, would his MD winning record be more fruitful?:D

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^That's hard to say..^^

..we can only 2nd guess and make our guess in hindsight.
    But, maybe, he can start doing that next yr. Just play MD in all of the tourneys he'll participate in and we'll see his rate of success...If he has more success, boy, our narnia will be even more excited and the winning pct of LYD & JJS vs. the top 10 MD pairs would probably jump from 74% to around 90%. JJS & LYD would be even more dominant than what they are today!!!:eek::cool:

#2428 ctjcad, Aug 18, 2009
  9. pramana

pramana Regular Member

The question is back to: Are you playing for your country or yourself?

Thomas Cup or Sudirman Cup does not bring "money" to the players. It is only for the prestige of the country.

Taufik is doing well since he bailed out from PBSI. He could pick and choose which tournaments to play, plus he negotiated freely for Yonex contracts.

I am sure for being 20ish years old, LYD will have better "future" to be independent and obtain longer and favorable contracts from Yonex/ Li-Ning or other sports products manufactures.

10. narnia

narnia Regular Member

Sorry, guys.

JJS already said he would only play by the 2010 Asian Games.

I think LYD should find new partners in MD and maybe in XD too; he should do it soon to secure any Gold in London.

:)

#2430 narnia, Aug 18, 2009
  11. narnia

narnia Regular Member

That's a good question that I had during the WC 2009.

IMO, XD and MD are quite different categories.

XD: more like Singles for men, can get some breaths while making strategic strokes
    MD: should be instantly and automatically reacted. more flat and effective attacking styles needed

So, I observe that LYD, after finishing XD earlier, has some struggles in the opening game of MD because the XD style still remains in his strokes and moves. But as the 2nd and 3rd game continues, he finds the MD strokes and moves getting used to them and especially in the final stages (after around 17 points) he shows his peculiar explosive attacking power.

But I don't undermine the XD that also greatly helps him in his MD plays in many ways. And MD also inspires his XD plays.

#2431 narnia, Aug 18, 2009
  12. ytyang

ytyang Regular Member

Are you really expecting an answer from LYD??:mad:
    I don't think LYD is a forum member....

13. narnia

narnia Regular Member

Koreans are people who respect collectivism or team spirits. It usually doesn't happen to get supported individually as all the players are belong to the National Team. He respect for his seniors and juniors.

So, he will not act individually. BTW, after Olympics, he is one of steady super stars in Korea to be called for many company ads, governments, etc. But still he keeps his humility that's give us quite good impression for him.

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

LYD going the pro-independent route??..

Off topic:
    - Unfortunately right now, pro badminton is still considered a team/country based sport. Meaning a lot of the process goes through a centralized national body which of course has some relation with the govt.
    Yes, there are a few pros who have already jumped to that "pro"/independent level but there are only a handful of them.
    Sure, independent players would be able to keep most if not all of their winning prize money. But the main issue is the prize money for tourneys and how it will support those players who participate. Playing as an independent pro is not cheap as one has to pay for the training, coaches, travel, lodging, registration expenses. I read somewhere, in tennis alone, even if a player is eliminated early, s/he would still go home with some reasonable pay. In badminton, with the amt of prize money they're offering, fuhgeddaboutit.
    As long as the prize money/incentives in badminton is not as appealing as in tennis, don't expect many pro players would want to go independent. Maybe only a very few of them and if they can get some kind of sponsorship.
    Btw, BCers have somewhat brought up/discussed abt this issue in another thread, on how to popularize badminton and should pro badminton go the tennis route or stay as is?
    - Yes, T&UC and SC don't bring tangible, prize-winning money to players. Rather they only bring pride for one's country. But reality is, the nature and long tradition of the sport & both of those events will be hard to abandon. It will take the road tennis has undertaken to make T&UC and SC akin to a Davis Cup tourney.
    - Yes, Taufik is doing so partly because he has a pretty good financial backing himself (well, you guys know his status). So, by going and playing independently, even if he doesn't win the tournament, he could still survive.
    But for many baddy pros, even if they're to go on their independent route and play for themselves, the money just isn't there should they lose.
    - I'm sure LYD has already received some endorsements and ads; check out his thread and see his pics. Heck, wouldn't winning an Olympic XD Gold do that to you??..;)
    ..the way i see it:
    XD requires the male player to be the pillar and stronger player, more of a supporter.
    MD, usually one player is more of a playmaker and the other the finisher.

In LYD's case, his role in the XD will be greater than in the MD. It'll be even greater if his XD partner is not reliable/consistent. In the MD, he still needs to do some work but he will have his partner to complement him. Usually a player like LYD, who plays in multiple events, will have a stronger finishing partner.

Approach to the game for each event, yes, i concur with what you wrote.

#2434 ctjcad, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  15. narnia

narnia Regular Member

Amazing service return

Did you guys know that LYD deliberately do this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP2LenSWi74

1. touching the net tape
    2. wobbling after that

He's very good at this. Check out his returns in your videos if you see more.

Enjoy~ :)

16. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

nice one..thanks for sharing though:)

17. jinnie7

jinnie7 Regular Member

Yes, I knew it.
    Actually he gave us a demonstration of that skill at the fan meeting last month. ;)

18. terry

terry Regular Member

19. vanxiaoyi

vanxiaoyi Regular Member

Student
    i watched that, it was amazing, smashed the watermelon until it broke, lol

20. YeLLoWind

YeLLoWind Regular Member

Unemployment ... *Hopely ended soon*

hhoo
    how lucky u are ^_^

did he teach u all how to do that?? ^_^