Philippine Open - I witnessed some underhanded moves

Discussion in 'Malaysia GP Gold / Philippines Open 2009' started by vip_m, Jul 3, 2009.

1. fastdrop

fastdrop Regular Member

I completely agree. Being Chinese myself, I was an avid supporter of the Chinese team. I was so disappointed everytime I see tactics, walkovers, and game fixing to assure a win. Their cold attitude toward their fans is another factor.:( With their talents and skills, the can always win, that is a more meaningful victory.

The other Chinese players outside the China Team are completely diffirent.:)

2. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee

Fully agree with you, especially the last sentence.

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

To use your tone of speaking, I respect a lot of non-CHN players as well. They are very good, very experienced, and they surely can win over LYB's team at any given day by using their own racket skills. I am sure regardless CHN team has 3 participants or 15 participants, elite player such as LCW still have a very good chance to give a run to the championship.

So, why using political powers to even not allow many skill - qualified CHN players to participate in events such as WC, OG, etc? If you think you can beat them anyway, why not let them in and taste your mighty skills?

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

To follow your tone, I am so disappointed to not able to see players as good as XXF, XXZ, CY, etc to even participate in certain events. The lovely "limited entry per nation" rule simply killed a lot of potential good matches, and not fair for a player (such as CY) who trained for his life time for the sport he loves and so good at.

Personally, I consider not even be able to see such players to perform, is a pity to the hard working players themselves, and an insult to the fans, who perfer the skill level over the political votes.

So, do you want to capture a title with all the best of the best for battle, or you think it's more meaningful, when half of the participants are ranking 30 or even 50 beyond, instead of the WC champion and runner ups? :rolleyes:

Sure, the ones left are different. They enjoyed all the benefits they can get, and somehow, it took them 10-20 years to realize, hmmmm... not good (for me...). Then, join the freedom. So, I wonder if they have such high moral standard, why it has to take them 20 yrs to join the "good side"? :rolleyes:

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    No, I will not.

However, if I can change the law, and make it as biased as possible, to make my own evil attempts look like a "god standard", then I will let my kids to do it.

This way, not only they got the real benefit, they will look good, at the cost of others tears and blood. :cool:

6. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Surely you are bringing in a totally separate matter. Being on one side of the CHN gamesmanship debate does not automatically put you on the "limit" side of the nationality quota debate.

Though I am on the anti-gamesmanship side (be it CHN or non-CHN players), I agree with you in taking out the limitation. In fact, I have voiced this from years ago. I disagree with you on two particulars. It's tough to do that for OG. OG has its own set of regulations outside the control of BWF. And secondly, you really think it's political machinations playing a part in this? You really think there is evil intent to just stop CHN rather than the good intention of letting more nations take part? I belief there is good intention in the limitation (and not about CHN) but I still think it should be removed.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

I think you are missing my point.

Your (and some others) definition of "gamemanship" focus on the action on the court, usually only involve 1 or 2 individual players or coach.

My definition of "gamemanship" also includes "abusing political power to munipulate the sport". To me, that's even worse of an impact, if we judge the sport in general.

Let me ask you, which crime is worse to the society in general:
    1. An individual breaks the law, by beating up another person
    2. A powerful politician (or a group) munipulate the law, to gain profit for himself / group.

My point is, instead of pin point every single individual incident, let's NOT to forget about the "major event" happening behind the screen, and being polished by munipulated "god standard". :cool:

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Well, this is as hard to be proven as we try to put LYB on real trial. You know, I know, we all know. The lawyers may not be able to proof that, because the policy is being polished to be "god standard".

9. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Of course (2) is worse, IF (<- notice the capitalisation) it is true. Let's also not trump up a major event to distract people from the smaller events.

Both are unprovable, but that does not mean the likelihood of both are the same. I cannot prove (nor disprove) that there is a teapot orbiting around Jupiter. I also cannot prove (nor disprove) that intelligent lifeforms exist elsewhere in the universe. That does not mean likelihood of a Jupiter-orbiting teapot = likelihood of intelligent aliens existing.

10. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

So, do you means the rules in Badminton are biased that makes someone attempts look like legal...........:confused::confused:...

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    From my point of view, "limited entries per nation" is an example of a biased rule / structure, which certainly befenits certain individuals / groups, at the cost of others.

Sure sure, OG has its special meaning, etc. What about WC then? What's the point of a championship, if some of the best players in the world can not even attend?

And seriously, isn't the foundamental of OG spirit is "let the best compete", rather than, "let who ever wants to compete to compete" or "let who ever cry the most to compete"? :rolleyes:

Anyway, enough said, before I got flamed in another thread. :D

12. vip_m

vip_m Regular Member

writer/web developer
    Apples and Oranges

Are you defending the Chinese team's use of the underhanded tactic of disrupting an opponent's serve by raising their hand just when they're about to serve several times in a row during crucial points by saying this is not "gamesmanship"? And then defining "gamesmanship" as not allowing everyone who wants to compete at tournaments? Apples and oranges, sir. The two situations don't have anything to do with each other. You're just engaging in obfuscation.

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    after all these discussion, it seem non-chinese players have poor reception to hand signals. The current resolution from official by requesting a re-serve is not happy to them. IMO, the only way to resolve this is have all receivers raise their hand, and server can only initiate serving when the receiver's hand is lowered below his/her racket handle. If the hand is not lowered after 10 seconds, it is a delay of game and a warning is issued to the receiver. Now,go sell it to BWF.

#153 cooler, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    This would prevent the server from rushing the Service

Yes cooler, this would prevent the server from rushing the Service. But, from what is mentioned in Post#1 of this thread, the problem is:
    Our Badminton laws need to understand what is irritating (or unfair) for both server and receiver.

15. ThePlayer

ThePlayer Regular Member

I don't know why people are talking about this. Is it you put Chinese team in the title to make it a hot topic?

Rasing your hand while opponent is serving is a normal practice. Because you are not ready. Some time your body is ready, but your mind is not. That's why some player needs a few more seconds to settle down and raise hand when seeing opponent about to serve.

I would say that almost every players have used this in every match, if not every game. Someone use more than the others. We recreational players use it too.

You see more Chinese players doing it because 1. There are more Chinese players in any stages of the tourmanent. 2. You pay more attension on Chinese players.

Even if some players (Chinese or non-Chinese) do it more than others, critisize that player. Do not make it a conspiration theory. Mia Audina was famous doing it. Can I say it is a strategy for Indonesia team?

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

No, reverse that. It is the irrated players who need to understand the badminton laws. The law doesn't understand human nature.

17. cooler

cooler Regular Member

So far i only hear whining from jealous fans. I don't hear about this hand raising thing from the suppose victimized players nor their coach

#157 cooler, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  18. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    a wrong is a wrong,even the law says it is correct,no one will acknowledge it is a correct act.;)

see the different?

19. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

The different is there, but some people just could not/dont want to see it...!

Dont waste too much time for this lah.Limsy.....!

Lets move on......more tournament is coming....lets observe in the coming tourneys.................:D:D

First, they are complaining that only some hard core jealous Mas and INA fans making noises about this wrong doing........but now fans from Philippines also there to raise their voice.;)....... lets see if fans from INDIA will make noice later........:D:D

20. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    ya,better pay attention on upcoming ajc:D
    see any leng lui to be my friend/girl friend(joke):p
    hehe,so happy.
    will attend both ajc(100%)/wjc(waiting for my 2nd schedule):D
    to observe the new talent:)