how much calories does badminton matches burn?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Capnx, Jun 26, 2009.

1. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

just curious, how much energy/calories do you think those top world players burn for each match, both singles and doubles?

how much do you think "we/you" burn for our games? hehe, suppose very competitive games and you go all out.

2. Gemcat

Gemcat Regular Member

Airport Employee
    I've heard a single's game equals to running 6 laps....I know the details are very minor but what do you expect from CCTV-5?....:D:D

3. Xhan_

Xhan_ Regular Member

It depends on the time and how competetive you are because sometimes you run too fast while sometimes you're just lazy and let the opponent get the point.

4. rwg05

rwg05 Regular Member

If I remember right, playing singles for 1 hour burns around 400 kcal, while doubles is around 250 kcal.

I read this a long time ago, so I'm not really sure of the figures.

5. krisss

krisss Regular Member

I rerember once I heard that professional players at a high standard match covered 2miles on court?

Not sure though.

6. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    These figures are for recreational badminton, played by beginners.

It is easy to measure the actual calorie consumption with calibrated instrument and pulse monitors during training.

Playing 1 hour intense singles, easilly consumes 800 to 1100 kcal for competetive games.

The calorie consumtion varies a lot depending on how long rallies are played, what tempo etc...

It would be very interesting to know the stats for pro players during long 3-seters in major competeions!!

cheers,
    Twobeer

7. pro1992

pro1992 Regular Member

Student and Coach
    not sure...i heard that badminton plays need one of if not the most cardiovascular fitness compared to other sports

8. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I don't think so compared to "cardio only" sports like long distance running, swimming, skiing etc. But Badminton (together with some other sports like wrestling, martial arts etc.) at elite level is extremely challenging as it is BOTH cardio, and explosive strength. Endurance athletes are seldom very strong and explosive, and strong and explosive athletes are seldom very enduring.. it is really hard to train for both explosiveness and endurance..
    If you just run etc. you will become to slow.. and if yo train explosiveness, strenght, your muscles will consume too much oxygen, and make your endurance fail..

This combination of strength/endurance is very hard to train for, and olympic badminton player usually score very well on tests, as far as I hev been told in comparison to most other sports athletes.

Of course the stamina/cardio part is less demanding for doubles/mixed and I think todays game puts less stress on the stamina portion after rally scoring was introduced.

But if you would compare Federer (plays Tennis) with Lin Dan fitness, I am pretty sure LD would have extremely better testing values, in leg-strength, agility, speed, and endurance/cardio.

/Twobeer

9. neogenesus

neogenesus Regular Member

student
    If you want to train for explosiveness and also endurance, you can try doing circuit style training. For cardio training, it is obvious your heart rate will be very fast, but usually for resistance (strength) training, you work your muscle, but your heart rate will usually barely beat very fast. In circuit style training, when you do your weight lifting, you use lighter weight and do the reps for 30 secs and move to another move again 30 secs with lighter weight. It will increase your heart rate and also train your muscle. And the good thing is it won't make you bulking up because usually if you want to get bigger muscle size (bodybuilding), you do 6-8 reps with a very very heavy weight and then rest for 1-2 min before doing other moves.

10. kirbosmash

kirbosmash Regular Member

right on. badminton is the "quickest sport", requiring different muscle fitness, etc. thus, we might not be "buff", but we're "badminton buff."

11. neogenesus

neogenesus Regular Member

student
    I don't know how many calories was burned after I play a game of double, but I have measured my weight and I lost 5 pounds (although it is mostly water) just after having a double game with very competitive play, long rallies and lots of smashes. It just shown us how much intensity badminton is if you play in a competitive level (it's not professional level, but even with intermediate level playing if played with same player level can be very competitive).

12. krisss

krisss Regular Member

It would be interested to compare sports , comparing all the "best" athletes of the sports through various activities.

It would be really interesting to find out how badminton comes out.

I know certain parts where it will be high/low.

13. thesoothsayer

thesoothsayer Regular Member

This post is totally off-topic. Shouldn't you post it in the equipment forum?

Saw an article on runner's world today discussing the calories burned in running and walking. Not exactly answering the question of the topic but interesting to read. Article here.

The calories burned in badminton is probably somewhere between running and walking, depending on the competitiveness of the match, I'd think.

14. thesoothsayer

thesoothsayer Regular Member

twobeer,

I'm curious. Where did you get the numbers from? 1100kcal seems to be a lot as the estimated energy to run a marathon for a 150lb person is around 100kcal/mile.

15. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    It all depends on the speed you run :)
    Try runing a marathon at 100m dash speed, and you will surely expend more than 100kcal/mile...but of course you may have trouble doing that for 4hours :D. And off course jogging slowly would exeend less per mile..

The 800-1100 is actual measurements for myself using polars, suuntos etc. heart-rate monitors and based upon measurements of max heartrate, vo2max, weight etc.

Running a marathon is totally different.. running for many hourse require you to optimally stay below your lactic acid treshold heart-rate wise, otherwise you will from lactic acid and run out off gas much quicker..

you could also check out..

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/energyexp.htm

There is no way I could to intensive shadowing or max-tempo singles for as long duration as a marathon would take...;)

/T

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member