Malaysia’s world No 1 shuttler says he’s not in top shape to defend his crown

Discussion in 'Singapore Open / Indonesia Open 2009' started by aramistuscany, Jun 9, 2009.

1. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Sometimes, it's not for LCW to choose, his coach, BAM, decides the tourneys he goes to. Haha, it's not blaming lack of training, he's just playing safe, smart way of answering the media, esp unforgiving Msia media.;)
    If not, lose that time, kena teruk2, must answer to Sports Minister lah,NSC DIrector lah etc,etc.:D:p

He has contractual obligations. One is to Yonex, the other Proton. I think all Yonex sponsored events they must appear.

Example : one time LCW wanted to skip one of the local circuits to prepare for Japan SS or sthing like that but had to go as it's Proton sponsored (unless have good reason like sick, injured, family emergency).

Anyway, for International tourneys, PG also go for many tourneys & he's 33. The rest of the Msia gang also going for 3 or 4 tourneys in a row this round, nothing unusual.

#21 eaglehelang, Jun 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  2. Silencer

Silencer Regular Member

oo, LCW really not in good shape to def his crown, he lost in the 2nd round to Vietnam player, hard fought match!

3. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    if no good shape, better dont come...
    now ranking point kena deducted...

4. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

I'm glad LCW came. He's very popular here. Even with inadequate preparations, he's great to watch and not easy to defeat. NTM had to play flawless superspeed, superdefense and superattack to take out LCW. I'm sorry you didn't have the fortune to appreciate the match. Team CHN probably has the video.

5. geordie

geordie Regular Member

Manager
    Saw the match yesterday. CW tried hard but seems to miss match practise and his movement around the court is also scratchy. But his big match temperament is still there, fighting back and looked very comfortable on big points. Nguyen was so fast around the court and looked so eager. He could beat any player on a good day. Just a note he was there alone with no coach. Nguyen is also too inexperienced, being fooled on at least 2 occassion by CW with a flick service to the back. I call them cheap points.

IMOHO, CW have not much to prove in his badminton career. He is now the world's best. But he must erase the stigma of consistently loosing to Lin Dan. I feel that the Malaysia Badminton ferderation owns it to CW to hire the best coach. To beat the Chinese, you need to have an inside view of their workings. I saw the match between Wang Yihan and Xing Aiying. The chinese coach I felt made a difference. She was able to come on and calmly point out to Yihan after loosing the 2nd match to increase the pace and keep the shuttle in to lengthen the rally (or somthing to that effect). And sure enough, in the final match, the Singaporean kaput and lost steam after some long rallies. Eventually Yihan won the rubber 21-7. The Malaysian coach (chinese man with uncle hair-do) came out moving his hands widly in the air looking to tell CW to either correct his strokes or to use more clear or something. I feel what CW need at that point in time is some acute observation of how the Vietnamese was doing right and how to counter him. And in the 2nd set, CW was back towards me and at 16-17 was looking towards the coach as he walks back to pick up a shuttle that has gone in. He looked at the coach perhaps hoping for some advice and that coach was just sitting there with his arm folded and didn't give any reply. After CW lost the match, the coach was still sitting there with his arms folded. And when CW walked towards him to shake his hand, he cocked his head to the right and smile in a typical (better luck next time) kind of look.

I feel that CW is the only non-chinese that can take on any of the chinese players any day and perhaps win. CW is naturally talented and works so hard. What he needs now is a REAL coach. Not some has-been national player. Again I feel the Malaysia Badminton federation wons him enough to hire one good coach that will train and prepare him to finish his career beating everyone under his ranking. Maybe Li Mao is a good choice now as Li will be very motivated to beat the Chinese. Sadly for Li none in the Korean team is at CW's level.

6. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    MISBUN is a real coach.

7. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

If he never come, the points will be deducted even more:D

8. george@chongwei

They already having it.;)

9. george@chongwei

I think teh siu bok was there yesterday during chong wei's match.

10. Ajaib

Ajaib Regular Member

Berdagang
    hahahaha......
    WR #1 lost to unseeded players...
    i hope that Lin Dan will be back to no.1 soon.....
    it's a shame to have a WR no1 like this...

11. george@chongwei

It is not a wise thing to laugh off other player's country when they lose.

12. fastdrop

fastdrop Regular Member

There is nothing to be ashamed in what happened. NTM is a good and very patient player. It just goes to show that LCW is human not a machine. The best athletes in any sport suffered defeat one time or the other. Otherwise, there will be no more excitement if only 1 player dominates the sport.

If you want LD to be number 1 then better ask him to play. He can't be number 1 if he stays home practising.:rolleyes:

13. Ajaib

Ajaib Regular Member

Berdagang
    ok... sorry if it's HURT your heart.....

14. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

hey, were you really watching LCW's match with NTM??? :eek:

Did you find any coach guiding NTM who just beat LCW??? :confused:

None....

:crying::crying::crying:

15. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

you could have your own preference on who's your most favourite best... but watch out if you are to claim someone "the world's best".

I guess the majority of the whole world (even many die-hard LCW fans here) knows who's the real world's best at the moment but unfortunately not CW.

CW's just WR#1 and amongst the world's best, but WR#1 does not automatically mean he's the very best...

welcome to the forum...

#35 Jonc108, Jun 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

That's what i call..

.."The Cold Look"..:p
    ..maybe the coach couldn't believe what he had just witnessed..He probably thought in his head: "LCW, now look what you've done. Misbun sent me here to assist you and now i've gotta go back and explain to Misbun what had happened".[​IMG]
    Btw, thanks for sharing your experience, geordie!:cool:

17. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Would the coach be on the slightly plump side? Then it would be Teh SB, the WS coach. Rashid is in Msia (but will be in INA), Misbun taken long leave to care for his wife undergoing kidney transplant(will be back in July, no exact date). So, LCW must be missing Misbun at that point.:D

18. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

being WR#1 and losing to any unseeded player is not a shame... it always happen in sports world...

what is really disappointing is his pre-match statement of saying he's not in a good form and still enter the competition, this is mostly lack of respect for other players, particularly his opponents. It would discredit whatever his opponents do to him, win or loss...

the real shame is that, there are many fans here trying to cover their idols flaw by twisting the logics, ignoring the basic human respect, maybe it's like an old saying,
    like parents, like children;
    like players, like fans...

19. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Thats right......both LCW and his girl gave brilliant fighting spirit before lost their matches.............this is what i called 'Spirit of Professionalism'. They dont simply pulling out of tournaments besides sickness and injury.....:cool:

20. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    My interpretation for this is 'bad planning'. You know there are 2 big tournaments coming up and you can allow your top players to say. No form. ;) Mana boleh? So anyone can be a coach or manager right? Easy money. ;)

Badminton: Eei Hui-Pei Tty’s exit leaves Malaysia with no one in semi-finals

Shame in Singapore
    KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia found themselves in an embarrassing situation when they did not have even one representative in the semi-finals of the S$200,000 Singapore Open after top women’s doubles pair of Chin Eei Hui-Wong Pei Tty crashed out in the quarter-finals last night.
    Although the top-seeded Malaysian pair got off to a great start against Indonesians Nitya Krishinda Maheswari-Greysia Polii, winning 21-17, they failed to press home the advantage at the Singapore Indoor Stadium.
    The unseeded Indonesia pair then fought their way back into the reckoning before prevailing 21-16, 21-19 in 59 minutes to secure their first semi-final appearance in a Super Series event.
    Eei Hui-Pei Tty blew a golden chance to secure their first semi-final appearance for the year as they had beaten the Indonesian pair en route to their first career win in the Denmark Open last year.
    The last eight exit could make it tougher for Eei Hui-Pei Tty to keep their current position at the top of the world rankings unless they reach the semi-finals of the Indonesian Open next week.
    Eei Hui-Pei Tty are hoping to head to the World Championships in Hyderabad in August as the first Malaysian top seeds in the women’s doubles competition.
    In the men’s doubles competition, former national players Gan Teik Chai-Tan Bin Shen bowed out after a tame 15-21, 17-21 defeat by fourth seeds Lars Paaske-Jonas Rasmussen of Denmark.
    Malaysia’s hopes of retaining the men’s doubles title, which was won by Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari-Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif last year, disappeared after top pair Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong were sent packing by England’s Nathan Robertson-Anthony Clark in the second round on Thursday.
    Malaysia’s hopes of keeping the men’s singles title were also dashed when Lee Chong Wei, the world No. 1, crashed out to Vietnam’s Nguyen Tien Minh on Thursday.