Indonesia Badminton

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by kidosetiawan, May 15, 2007.

1. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Unless badminton grows to become at least half as popular as tennis......

2. habsq

habsq Regular Member

Student
    "Popular" in terms of money perhaps ;)

3. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Popularity in worldwide fans, especially in the lucrative sports markets like Europe and the US... :p, will lead to increase in money coming into badminton, thus better income of the players... :cool:

Right now:
    Badminton All England, MS
    1st round loss, you get $50 or almost nothing...
    Champion, you get around $18,000...
    Total prize money around $200,000...

Tennis Wimbledon, MS
    1st round loss, you get around $20,000 or something...
    Champion, you get around $1,500,000...
    Total prize money around $20,000,000...

Note: Wimbledon's official prize money is in Poundsterling, so the forex conversion to US$ fluctuates... I just simplified it...

So, tennis pays around 100 times better than badminton... :p And you can really make a very decent living as a top tennis pro... ;) I think if an INA child (from a middle class background or worse) has the potential to become a top-ranked tennis player, his/her parents will probably give the child a shot...

4. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Of course, money is a huge motivation and sport is big business. Tennis has prime time TV coverage and advertisement $$$, bigtime endorsements and sponsorships, etc to support the $M prize money therefore attract the interest of Europe, Australia and North America (i.e. the rich countries) and tennis is not dominated by Asians:rolleyes:...just check out the women players wearing skimpy outfits and Sharapova playing in the hot sun wearing a skimpy white dress, dripping wet:eek: would have the male spectators go loopy, loopy with tongues hanging out, sucking air and breathing hard...now, how can baddy match that?;):p:D

5. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Prize Money of the Rolland Garros 2009:
    Winner -- EUR 1.06m
    Finalist -- EUR 530k
    SF -- EUR 265k
    QF -- EUR 132.5k
    R16 -- EUR 68.45k
    R32 -- EUR 40.6k
    R64 -- EUR 24.5k
    R128 -- EUR 15k

Qualifying
    R16 -- EUR 7.85k
    R32 -- EUR 3.95k
    R64 -- EUR 2.08k

Entering the Rolland Garros even as a qualifier, losing in R64 will get EUR2.08k. If I have a kid and he/she can qualify to the main draw in ALL the 4 Grand Slams, he/she will have EUR60k per year in revenue, not to mention the other smaller tourneys and sponsorship deals.

So, if I have a kid and he/she shows great potential in tennis from young age, I will strongly encourage him/her to be a pro! But for badminton.....as Krisna said....I may not:eek:

6. Felix.

Felix. Regular Member

Tennis is not as glamorous as what people often think. Most tennis players in the top 100 need endorsements to survive and only the top players in the world can live comfortably on the money they make on tour.

A tennis player's expenses are unbelievable high. Unlike badminton, tennis is a pure individual sport, meaning, as a player, you have to pay for the tournament fees and the traveling expenses, from the flight, food and accommodation. And no to mention the wages of a coach can cost easily up to 1K a week.

For the prize money, you also have to consider the taxes that will be cut and you often have to pay taxes to the country that you earned that income in as well. Sponsorships don't give huge amounts unless you are a top player like Maria Sharapova or Roger Federer; a top 100 player is very fortunate if they get a small paycheck and receive free clothing, shoes, and racquets for a year.

An average tennis player in the top 100 plays 25 tournaments a year. That means they need to travel to 25 different places in the world and pay for the hotels for themselves and for their coach and family member who travel with them. Then they have the training to pay for and all the rest of the expenses. The top 100 players in the world just about survive, but those ranked below make much less money and struggle more.

I have a friend who tried playing profesional tennis. claimed that he needs at least 150K a year to play on tour. Thankfully his dad earns alot, so money isn't much of a problem to him.

7. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    They have changed the PBSI calendar... Now we have 5 successive tournaments in 5 weeks in July-August:
    Solo Cup (Swasta Nasional); equivalent to the Walikota Cup in Surabaya
    Central Java National Circuit in Tegal
    East Java National Circuit in Surabaya
    Astec Indonesian Challenge in Jakarta; :) This is new!
    East Indonesia National Circuit in Bali

Gudang Garam's management has decided to not support the Suryanaga Club anymore. Nor will they support the tournament. So, PBSI gave the rights to hold Indonesian Challenge to Astec. :) The tournament will be played in the Jakarta Indoor Tennis Stadium.

Oh, and I heard Suryanaga is now a branch of Jaya Raya. Some said that it is now called Suryanaga Jaya Raya.

8. otaclub

otaclub Regular Member

College Student
    Deep Condolences for Indra Gunawan..

9. olympic

olympic Regular Member

So shock and sad...my deep condolences for Indra Gunawan.

10. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Obituary

Former INA badminton player and coach, Indra Gunawan (born 23 September 1947) passed away on yesterday morning (06.25am) at PIK Hospital, North Jakarta after battle with intestinal cancer. Rest In Peace...

source : ANTARA (Indonesian version) -- http://www.antaranews.com/view/?i=1244361470&c=ORK&s=BUL

11. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^r.i.p.^^

..and condolences to his family. He is in a better place now as he did go through a rough period in his life.

12. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Yup...Indra Gunawan has passed away. Condolences to his family!

13. nick.h

nick.h Regular Member

student
    i knew him, i did some work for him back in 2003 and still play at his club called 'wira' near green ville...sad news indeed, rest in peace om Indra.

14. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    INA Under-19 [Taruna] ranking

This just came out this weekend, May 31, 2009:

BS
    1. Andre Marteen, 18, Mutiara Bandung
    2. Marcus Fernaldi Gideon, 18, Tangkas Alfamart; son of Coach Kurniahu
    3. Ary Trisnanto*, 18, Tangkas Alfamart; winner of several National Circuits before a dissapointing Kejurnas.
    4. Riyanto Subagja, 16, Djarum Kudus; no relations to Ricky Subagja
    5. Siswanto*, 17, Suryanaga Surabaya; has never won any National Circuit title
    6. Arlie Guna Darma, 17, Mutiara Bandung
    7. Arief Gifar Ramadhan, 15, Djarum Kudus; many people call him ‘Gifar’
    8. Shesar Hiren Rhustavito, 15, Djarum Kudus; more known as ‘Vito’
    9. Evert Sukamta*, 17, Tangkas Alfamart; he was the National Circuit’s undisputed ‘King of Remaja (U-16)’ a few years ago
    10. Wahyu Nayaka Pangkaryaniva, 18, Ratih Banten; after Ratih’s formally disbanded recently, we don’t know what will happen to him and Hermansyah (the 2008 Taruna National Champion, now ranked 12th)

GS
    1. Febby Angguni, 18, Djarum Kudus; 2008 Malaysia Challenge champion and should help INA in this year’s Asian Junior and World Junior
    2. Ana Rovita, 18, Djarum Kudus; collector of 5 National Circuit titles as a Taruna and winner of last year’s Taruna National Championship
    3. Ganis Nur Rahmandani, 17, Ratih Banten; her career is in danger now that Ratih is dead
    4. Hera Desi Ana Rachmawati*, 17, Mutiara Bandung
    5. Ayu Wanda Tika Wulandari, 18, Djarum Kudus
    6. Novalia Agustianti, 17, Tangkas Alfamart
    7. Rena Suwarno*, 17, Jaya Raya; she would have been even higher ranked than 7, but she didn't compete ever since she joined Pelatnas Pratama
    8. Elisabeth Purwaningtyas, 16, SGS Bandung; she is fun fun fun to watch :D, only 150cm (I think) yet she has so many trick shots... well, she came from the same school as Iie Sumirat and Taufik Hidayat... we should not be too surprised, ha ha ha...
    9. Yeni Asmarani, 17, Djarum Kudus
    10. Millicent Wiranto, 16, Indocafe Medan; the only top-ranked Sumatra player

Note: * means that they are members of Pelatnas Pratama

#1034 Krisna, Jun 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  15. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    INA Under-19 [Taruna] rankings for Doubles

BD
    1. Ullin-Berry, Djarum Kudus; Dutch Junior and German Junior champs
    2. Didit-Seiko, Djarum Kudus; 2008 National Taruna champion
    3. Dandi-Endi, Mutiara Bandung
    4. Dakha-Allan, SemenGresik-Suryanaga
    5. Jones-Darmiko, Djarum Kudus
    6. Andhika-Irfan, CBN Batam
    7. Ricky-Yuda, Jaya Raya
    8. Victor-Adzka, Jaya Raya
    9. Kevin*-Angga*, Jaya Raya; they will represent INA at the Asian Juniors
    10. Yudha-Fascal, Djarum Kudus

GD
    1. Della*-Claudia*, Jaya Raya; they won several National Circuit titles last year, argueably the bes GD we have today...
    2. Aulia-Nurbeta, Djarum Kudus; the fastest improving pair today, winning 3 tournaments in a row
    3. Maya-Ratna, CRU Surabaya; they seem to consistently appear in all quarterfinals, but never winning anything
    4. Suci*-Tiara*, Mutiara Bandung; they will also represent INA at the Asian Juniors
    5. Maya-Meisy, Suryanaga Surabaya
    6. Gebby-Ayu, Ragunan; I’m not sure... but I think they are in Pelatnas Pratama too..
    7. Dea-Gloria, Djarum Kudus
    8. Rina-Tresna, Ragunan
    9. Aurien-Ganis, Ratih Banten
    10. Lidya-Yayu, Djarum Kudus

XD rankings is not stable... there are too many pairs changing partners at this time, so, I'm not going to bother listing them today... :p

Note: * means that they are members of Pelatnas Pratama

#1035 Krisna, Jun 9, 2009
  16. Sandy

Sandy Regular Member

My question abt "Why Ratih players represent other clubs or paired with other club's player during National Circuit ?", has been answered.

I watched :
    Ganis N represented Pertamina Indonesia
    Wahyu Nayaka represented Tangkas
    Budi Hartono (ex Rendy's pair) represented Ratih pairing with Surya Naga's player in MD & XD U-19
    Rio Willianto represented Ganesha paired with Yulianti (Djarum)
    Achmad Rivai & Davin Prawidssa didn't play

I don't think Hera Desi (Mutiara) & Irfan (CBN) still in U-19 age, they aren't selected in AJC squad although they are Pelatnas Pratama players and Hera played in AJC 2008.

Gebby is in Pelatnas Pratama and selected in AJC while Ayu Pratiwi isn't.
    Gebby looked like pairing with Wenny Setiawaty in Pelatnas

#1036 Sandy, Jun 9, 2009
  17. badMania

badMania Regular Member

So, is the AJC Squad finalized yet????

We have confirmed news that Kevin Alexander/Angga Pratama and Suci Rizky Andini/Tiara Rosalia Nuraidah will represent INA (from Krisna's post).

XD Ranking:
    1. Yudha Wiratama/Gloria Emauella Wijaya (Djarum)
    2. Jones Ralfy Jansen/Nurbeta Kwanrico (Djarum)
    3. Didit Juang Indrianto/Yayu Rahayu (Djarum)
    4. Budi Hartono/Aurien Hudiono (Tangkas, SGS)
    5. Marcus Fernaldi Gideon/Yolanda Christina (Tangkas)

18. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Sorry, I meant to write Della-Claudia is the besT GD we have in Taruna today... :p As for Aulia-Nurbeta, they can represent INA in the Asian Jr. and World Jr. next year laaah... They are improving fast under Coach Deni Kantono, but they do not have the skills to compete well at the Asian and World Jr. level yet... :p Better practice more before eating up unnecessary funds by either their club or PBSI management... just to loose in the round of 32 or 16...

Well, I just quoted what I read in www.pb-pbsi.org Don't know the real status of Hera Desi (Mutiara) :p The official site said she is born in 1992...

I don't know for sure. Seems like Sandy has the finalized team list, judging by his comment on Gebby-Wenny... :)

19. Sandy

Sandy Regular Member

Next year Aulia-Nurbeta will face Della-Claudia & Tiara-Succi again to take place in Junior WD.

Both Della & Claudia was born in 1992, but the problem on their small physical. It cause they looked less improving than others 2 pairs. They was seeded-1 in Kejurnas but lost easily to Tiara-Succi who played in power game. Based AJC list by Krisna, looked like Tiara-Succi in 1st choiche in WD & XD.

Tiara-Succi should be born 1993, because they play in U-16 last year but PBSI website is written Tiara (1991), Succi (1993) :confused:

Agree, Aulia-Nurbeta has big improving compared Kejurnas 2008 (lost easily to Weni Anggraini/Dian of CBN) and their recent results by won in Sirnas Jakarta & Bandung. Curious to see they meet Claudia-Della or Tiara-Succi.

I think Wenny Setiawati isn't U-19 anymore,
    After splitted from Anneke Feinya and paired with Jenna Gozali (in WJC), Nimas Rani, PBSI tried to pair her with Gebby

#1039 Sandy, Jun 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  20. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management