Is LCW the top 1-2 player in the world?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by evylgrynn, Apr 10, 2009.

1. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    LOL...

I don't recall the last time you ever said Lin Dan is better than LCW, even though Lin Dan has been ranked #1 from 2003 - mid 2008 with an exception of 3 months during 2006. :rolleyes:

According to your standard "NOW", then Lin Dan(WR#1) should have been look at as way better than Taufik during 2004-2005 even though Taufik was obviously better than Lin Dan at that time, and Lin Dan back then only had 1 AE title to show for, while Taufik has WC and OG... but guess what, I bet you claimed that Taufik was better than Lin Dan at that time.

Quite frankly, I notice you like to find favorable facts(world ranking only when LCW is #1) to support your love to LCW, but at the same time avoid all unfavorable facts(LCW has no major title to show for).:rolleyes:

Adding these " :D:D:D" all the time don't make your claims any easier for others to accept if they are completely bias.

For others' information, using :D:D:D all the time doesn't necessarily mean he/she is a better person than someone who uses :rolleyes: more often.

These :D:D:D can be used to cover "bias and lies", while :rolleyes: can be used to question these "bias and lies"

#21 bananakid, Apr 14, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  2. james_m

james_m Regular Member

hello everyone! this is my first time on Badminton central..wow...i didn't know it's so intense here...i would have to agree with bananakid....LCW did not win a major championship....Lin Dan is a better player

3. badadum

badadum Regular Member

The point of contention is not only the #1 player in the world, but also #2..... hard to come up with argument against LCW as #2 player in the world currently. The OP argues that LCW's accomplishment is due to the fact that he hadn't met china's player (namely BCL & CJ)...due to different bracket, but there's no guarantee that BCL and CJ could fare well enough to have a go at LCW. PG, TH, SDK, etc could've stop them death @ their track as well. PG has beaten CJ the last 2 time they met....so is the case with BCL vs SDK.

#23 badadum, Apr 14, 2009
  4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Badminton is the love of my life

Yes, some BCers love to use the "LOL", and some love the ":D:D:D" (provided by Badminton Central). To me, they are the same.

I love Badminton and love to read info/news about Badminton. That's why I am at Badminton Central often. Badminton is the love of my life.

Regarding to our current world 4 best players, I would rank (in order of performance):
    1. LD
    2. LCW
    3. TH
    4. PG
    (Here, we can argue to death how we rank players' performance. And why are some players not included? It's subjective.)

Regarding to our current world 4 top ranked players, BWF ranked (as at 9-Apr-2009):
    1. LCW
    2. LD
    3. CJ
    4. PG
    (Here, we can either accept or reject the ranking system used by BWF. And why are ranking points calculated to be this/that value? It's subjective again.)

This was how I replied to the thread starter, evylgrynn (Post #4):

#24 chris-ccc, Apr 14, 2009
  5. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

Perhaps you can request Raphy to get LCW online with Badzine and BC can ask LCW directly whether he feels/thinks he IS the World No. 1. Whatever his answer may be, I am sure there will be a thread on it.

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    let me help u to clear your cloudy crystal ball. From now til end of 2009, if LD sit out all the tournaments, and LCW wins all the MS titles, LD will still have more titles, and better titles, than LCW. Is that objective enough??? Like i have b4, Lin Dan is generous but of course, he isn't THAT generous to sit out all the tourneys, he need to stretch his muscles to keep in shape for XXF:p

#26 cooler, Apr 14, 2009
  7. Waix3Sarah

Waix3Sarah Regular Member

student
    Compare to lin dan and chen jin LCW seem he is weak than them

just my opinion

8. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Yeah, cooler. My concern is whether LCW can be one remembered WR1 or not. Or one day..one day, in wiki, he'll be the only WR1 with no major title.
    Sad, huh?

generous.. Lin dan is cool but not a God that a result of a game would totally depend on his generosity. Can we drop that?:p

9. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    No one will forget LCW. He has made alot of impact for Malaysian badminton.

10. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Eddy Choong, Tan Aik Huang & co won bigger titles than LCW. What happened to them in terms of recognition today?

11. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Correction LD not only have won more renowned titles than LCW. LD have won more SS titles than LCW as well.

Will LCW be remembered as a shuttler in 20 years time? Yes, of course. We will remember the lad as well as the others like Foo Kok Keong, Misbun Sidek etc. But will he be amongst the legends like Rudy Hartono, Yang Yang, Liem Swie King? No. LD, however will be up there amongst the legends.

At the end of the day, it is the titles won, major ones that matters. No one in 20 or so years down the line will remember so & so was WR1 for 'x' amount of months.

12. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Take the formal ranking out of way, we have personal opinions. But we also need a set a context for opinions. Let's say the context is, "Rank the best players who were active in the past 12 months." Undoubtedly, LD will top this list for most people.

The main question of this thread is whether LCW even deserves the 2nd place in the list. In my opinion, he does. Simply because no one else does. Sure, LCW has lost to some players in the past 12 months, most recently CL. But does that make CL the 2nd best player? Hardly.

Now, if the context is, "Rank the best players in the past 2 years / 5 years / 10 years". Then, it would be different. Because I can at the very least think of TH as the better player than LCW.

13. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Maybe. How about others? Like it or not, he isn't yet complete without major title.
    I'll pray all the way, and hopefully that will help. ..

14. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

please dont be out of the topic guys;)

15. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    You have to knee down when you pray then maybe your prayers may be answered:D

16. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Agree.
    Which MAS badminton player, or even MAS sports star, has more endorsement deals and national recognition than LCW?
    In fact, my regular JB Yonex store is always hoping LCW wins titles.Reason? His Yonex equipment sales would spike right after a LCW victory.One can assume that happens across all Yonex stores across MAS.
    LCW is giving Yonex super value for their money.
    LCW is a unique MAS national star because he is popular across all races;not just among the Chinese but also warmly embraced by the majority Malays.
    That's why LCW will have no equal as a MAS sports celebrity and will not be forgotten.

17. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

And the fact that during every OG, LCW will be remembered as the sole medalist in 2008 OG, the 1st silver medalist for MS dept. That was how Rashid Sidek, CSK/YKH, Razif/Jailani were remembered/featured every OG.
    Shortly before 2008 edition, Rashid was getting 'lonely' as the only MS medalist for so many years, he urged LCW to join him & to do one better.
    Now, every 4 yrs, LCW can keep Rashid company, & hopefully in future editions, more will follow.:p;)

To the topic, with or without major titles, currently LCW is 2nd best to LD. CJ to me is still 3rd -> 2008 OG gold, OG silver, OG bronze, in that order.:D

#37 eaglehelang, Apr 15, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  18. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Considering the ease with which he has beaten some of the top players, Lee Chong Wei is undoubtedly one of the supreme talents of our time.

But that doesn't make him the best - time and again, he has succumbed to several of his peers.

By rank, Lee Chong Wei is now the World No. 1.
    However, by titles, he is hardly the World No.1.

It would be great for him if he could better his record against Lin Dan.
    For that to happen, two things must come to pass:

- Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei must meet competitively.
    - Lin Dan must lose (again) to Lee Chong Wei.

A fresh moment of reckoning lies just ahead - at the 2009 Sudirman Cup.

19. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

dont agree with that. singles are so different to the team matches. nobody wanted to lose, especially between LD and LCW, but for Sudirman or Thomas Cup for that matter if CHN and MAS meet there is little chance that CHN will drop points for the WS, WD and XD. thus CHN or LD can afford to drop that point or not even have to field LD at all. as for MAS, LCW cannot afford to drop a single point against any team in the group to if they are to progress further.

20. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Errr, the thread starter wanted to know if LCW even deserve no 2, 2nd best. He/she even thinks LCW is 3rd or......;)

#40 eaglehelang, Apr 15, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2009