Is LCW the top 1-2 player in the world?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by evylgrynn, Apr 10, 2009.

1. evylgrynn

evylgrynn Regular Member

Had an interesting discussion with some fellow badminton fans the other day. There is a lot of debate going on right now about who is the clear #1 mens singles player. We have LCW, who is a runaway leader in points earned over the last 12 months. We also have Lin Dan, who by ranking is #2, but has taken a lot of time off over the last 12 months, and has won all of the major titles in recent history.
    (Full disclosure, I am a LD and PG fan, but I also acknowledge that LCW has been great over the last year, other than his Finals at OG, AE vs LD).

Given that it is generally acknowledged that LD is the best player in the world today (titles and Head to Head results), is LCW #2? He has accomplished a large portion of his results while not having to play against China's top guns. In the SO, AE this year he has not had to play against BCL or Chen Jin, who have been in LD's half of the draw the last few tournaments. As far as I can remember, the last time LCW played Chen Jin, he lost in the 2008 AE semi finals. He was also beaten by BCL the last time they met in the China Masters.
    In the tournaments after 2008 AE I don't think LCW has had to play the big Chinese guns
    2008 AE-lost to CJ in semi
    2008 OG-Lost to LD in final(did not play CJ or BCL)
    2008 China Open-Lost to LD in final(did not play CJ or BCL)
    French Open-Lost to TH in semi (no CHN)
    Malaysia Open-Won (no CHN)
    Korea Open-Lost in finals to PG (no CHN)
    AE-lost to LD(did not play CJ or BCL)
    SO-beat LD in final(did not play CJ or BCL)
    India Open-lost to CL, CHN lower ranked player

I thought it was interesting that LCW has earned most of his results without having to beat CHN top guns. He is a great, great player and has been incredibly consistent over the last year, and has earned the #1 points ranking by being so consistent. But I don't know that he is even the #2"best" player in the world right now.

What do you think?

2. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    One thing that we should bear in mind, it isnt go like this, WR1 = World Best Player. It's wrong.

In overall, we do know Lee Chong Wei had to go that extra mile to be at LD's par. The fact speak for itself.

10 MARCH 2009-Badminton/All England review: Misbun: There is a way to beat Lin Dan!

Yeah!

3. k_sakic

k_sakic Regular Member

In terms of points, LCW definately deserves the World Ranking of #1. He's played more tournaments that the other top tier players. But I would not consider LCW to be the best player in the world right now. With all due respect, I feel that he lacks the capability to win in big tournaments. If you take a look at his stats at the World Championships (2006,2007) and the 2004 Olympics, he was eliminated in the earlier rounds. Even at the 2008 Olympics, when he finally managed to make it to the finals, he totally lost it in the finals. He was definately nervous, and that affected his performance.
    Personally, I believe that LCW is a good player. He has great badminton techniques and court awareness. The one thing he needs to work on is improving his mental game. Once he conquers that weakness, he may be able to win big tournaments, like the Worlds this summer.

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    How are we to decide whether LCW or LD is currently the top player in the world?

evylgrynn ... Yes, Lee Chong Wei is the runaway leader in points and is currently ranked as World No.1. Lin Dan is ranked No.2. However, Lin Dan has won more renowned titles.

Currently, it appears that LCW is entering most National Opens/Titles, while LD is only selecting the renowned ones. So, how are we to decide whether LCW or LD is currently the top player in the world? It is only going to be a very subjective decision, if anyone is to make one.

However, on the head-to-head count, LD is way ahead of LCW.

Personally, I would award the World No.1 title to LCW. If LD wishes to be No.1, he would need to participate in more tournaments to earn more points. But from what we have witnessed recently, China is no longer interested to have Lin Dan to regain his World No.1 position. As disappointed as most of us BCers are (wanting to watch matches between Lee Chong Wei and Lin Dan), we might only get to watch them play each other in fewer occasions from now on.

We now have a thread asking if Lee Chong Wei could remain as World No.1 until he retires after the 2012 Olympic Games. For the link: click here

5. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    You should include the title of 'Datuk' when you put your comment on him, as the title conferred by Malaysia Government to him for his great performance at the 2008 Olympic Games, winning the Silver-Medallist. This is to show our respect to him.

Back to the story.

To be at the top spot because of his great performace, or his hardworking? I think both. The question you have arose here - DLCW is the 2nd MS Player currently in the world, after LD? This would be the toughest question to be answer since i join BC.:p:p

6. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    I have to agree with most of the comments already. Lin Dan is most likely the "best" player in the world. But Lee Chong Wei is solidly World ranked #1 for many good reasons.

You say he (LCW) isn't even #2 "best" in the world, then who is? You say that LCW "earned most of his results without having to beat CHN top guns" in order to imply that that's why he shouldn't be considered better. But I'd like to add that Lin Dan has earned most of his results without having to beat USA top guns. So all you really said is that these "CHN top guns" also can't get results.

7. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    Dear HHWOOT,

State us what are the good reasons of DLCW solidly world ranked no.1. Thank you.

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Well..given those facts, my answer would be the same as yours..

(asking the same question back)
    ..what do yooooou think??..:confused:

#8 ctjcad, Apr 11, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  9. hhwoot

hhwoot Regular Member

Graduate Student
    Some one else has already given a few good reasons, let me find his post...

A different way to read my original statement is: The best reason Lee Chong Wei is solidly world ranked #1 is because he is world ranked #1.

If we want to talk about #1, #2, etc. then there needs to be a clear ranking system. In the current world ranking system, LCW is solidly number 1. If I did not imply clearly in my original post, I will state again that "world ranked #1" is not the same as "best player in the world".

Most of us will agree that Lin Dan can be considered the "best player in the world". But we don't actually have any true metric by which to determine who the "best" players in the world are and rank them. We agree that Lin Dan is "best" because we've seen him play and dominate, but we don't have a way to convert that into numbers to see if his number is larger.

10. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    I thought this thread is discussing about who's the No.2 player in the world of badminton sports currently, not WR NO.1 = / NOT = to the 'best' player.

11. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Is LCW the top 1-2 player in the world?:cool:

12. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    What we see (from the BWF World Rankings) is what we get

:D:D:D Of course LCW is currently the top player in the world. This is because it is "What we see (from the BWF World Rankings), is what we get".

For those who believe in "What we think, is what we get", our discussions can be never-ending.

I can dare to say that I am better than LCW and/or LD, and I don't need to play against them to prove the point. But, of course, it's just what I think, not what the BWF Ranking List tells us.

BTW, you will never see my name listed in the BWF Ranking List, because I don't need to prove to the world how good I am (roll eyes). :D:D:D

#12 chris-ccc, Apr 14, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  13. Tekkai

Tekkai Regular Member

I don't think LCW is the best player in the world..I say he would be the 2nd best..1st is LD and 3rd would be BCL.

14. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    LCW is consistent. But i do have to agree that LinDan is the best so far.

15. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    yeah.................................

16. Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil Regular Member

This is ******** topic. Just another excuse for some MAS hater to type crap about how great Lindan is. Why, forum been too quiet lately?

Eny, you mention Lindan is the better player given the head to head but question if LCW is second best when he have a 6:2 against Chen Jin, 8:4 against Bao and 5:1 against Gade. So what happen, your head got transfer to your ass momentarily?

All players blunder sometimes. Chen Jin lost to Chong Wei Fang, Bao out first round of HK open after beating LCW a week ago, Lindan got axes in early round of China open.

But like I said, I understand this is just another excuse for the MAS hater cronies to go at it after some quiet times in this forum. Get a life.

17. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Im Malaysian.. i dont hate myself either.

18. General Foo

General Foo Regular Member

student

lol wtf bc is full of malaysians and all half of them do is post about how disrespsectful or whatever they are branding lin dan nowadays. why dont u just stick to the topic?

19. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner

I sort of agree with you on how this topic is quite meaningless from the surface, which is why I chose not to respond to it until I read your comment.

However, in response to the highlighted portion of your post, I would like to use the exact same phrase(with minor changes) to describe the following thread as well

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68649
    "This is ******** topic. Just another excuse for some MAS boleh fans to type crap about how great LCW is. Why, forum been too quiet lately?
    "But like I said, I understand this is just another excuse for the MAS boleh fans to go at it after some quiet times in this forum. Get a life."

20. nick.h

nick.h Regular Member

student
    haha yeah me too...
    wtf?winning 2nd place in OG means he's the best player EVER?...yea right not even close :cool:
    LCW hardly wins anything major...he either gets man-handled in finals by LD from time to time and then blame other ppl for his loss or he gets nervous and ends up losing in 2nd round and still blames other ppl :p
    lets see...what major tourney has he won?AE?WC?OG?hmmm.......

#20 nick.h, Apr 14, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2009