INA's squad for Sudirman Cup 2009

Discussion in 'Sudirman Cup 2009' started by Sandy, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Sandy

Sandy Regular Member

INA's squad for Sudirman Cup 2009

MS : Sony Dwi Kuncoro, Simon Santoso, Tommy Sugiarto
    WS : Maria Kristin, Adriyanti Firdasari
    MD : Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan, Bona Septano/Muhammad Ahsan, Rian Sukmawan/Yonatan Suryatama
    WD : Shendy Puspa Irawati/Meliana Jauhari, Greysia Polii/Nitya Krishinda
    XD : Nova Widianto/Liliyana Natsir, Devin Lahardi/Lita Nurlita and Fran Kurniawan

#1 Sandy, Apr 7, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  2. jutawin

jutawin Regular Member

Student
    No Flandy/Vita & Taufik Hidayat. this is the best squad INA have now..
    AYO, REBUT KEMBALI PIALA SUDIRMAN..

3. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Indonesia looked awkward without them. Good luck, btw.

4. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    the title of this year sudirman for ina is:plan for the future:D
    wise decision

5. jutawin

jutawin Regular Member

Student
    yeah, we hope Indonesia v Malaysia in the final..
    want to see Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan v Koo Kien Kiat/Tan Boon Heong,
    Maria Kristin v Wong Mew Choo,
    Sony Dwi Kuncoro v Lee Chong Wei..

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

why??..

..why looked awkward??..:confused:
    It's a good mixture with a lot of young, less heralded players involved..

For MS, though, i do think INA should include Andre T.K.

#6 ctjcad, Apr 7, 2009
  7. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

What's the point?:confused: Who dare to field Tommy or Andre anyway? Even fielding Simon would be a very brave move -- think: what's the chance of SS beating: LD? LCW? PG? PSH? BP? or even Andrew Smith? Then: can INA afford to give the MS point to: China? MAS? DEN? KOR? Thailand? or even England (good MD, OK WD, great XD)? :confused:

Not including TH may result in SDK getting over-worked. :cool:

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^Of what??..^^

.."What's the point?" of what??..:confused:

So, if we're to include Taufik, what are the chances of him beating LD or LCW or PG or PSH??:confused:
    If he can't deliver the goods, how will it improve the prospect of Tommy or Andre?? Are they gonna be kicked back and become an afterthought and will have to wait another 2 yrs to have their opportunity to shine??
    Is INA so desperate to have Taufik in order to win or advance to the elimination round??..

If SDK is afraid to be overworked, why don't they have Simon or Tommy take up the challenge? I mean, what's the purpose of including them in the squad if not to play them? Don't tell me they are including Simon and Tommy to be Sony's massage assistances or his luggage/bags carriers??..:(

I'm not suggesting Simon or Tommy to be fielded against the other 4 top squads' top guns. Tommy and/or Simon could compete in the other group matches (round robin), esp. against other squads which are not as strong as the INA squad. Once they qualify for the elimination round, then have Sony amped up and ready to go bonanza.

#8 ctjcad, Apr 7, 2009
  9. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    China's now out of the window, eh?..cool.

Well, i am merely saying I'll feel the absence of Taufik.

10. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Regular Member

Uni Student
    And Fran's partner is?:confused:

11. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Possibly Shendy Puspa or Greysia Polii. So PBSI has full confidence with Pelatnas squad, combination of experience and young players.

12. jutawin

jutawin Regular Member

Student
    Frans also can partner with Liliyana if Nova doesn't play well..

13. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

so, finally ina's squad for sudirman cup 2009 had been revealed;)

14. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

At least TH and SDK can then take turns. (Honestly, TH has better chance than SDK. The only opponent TH having a less than 50% chance is LD. 50-50 with LCW. TH holds upper hand against PG, PSH, BP, not to say Smith).

The fact is, INA cannot afford to lose the MS point to almost any opponent in the top 8. Take England. England has the ability to beat INA in MD, WD and XD. The only point that will go to INA is WS -- if MKY is back in form. How about Thailand? INA has no guarantee in any of the 5 matches.

It's not about SDK afraid of being overworked or not. The fact is, unless INA does not care about winning, SDK will have to play every match and get exhausted.

Finally I don't think putting youngsters into any of the "cups" is wise. Too much responsibility. If you really want them to improve, send them to more SSs.

15. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

The youngsters need the experience in team event to play MS2 & MS3 in TC in 2010. For countries other than China, TC is more important as in they have a better chance of winning. The pressure is definitely higher in TC since singles dept is being counted on to deliver 3 pts.

16. seawell

seawell Regular Member

Indonesia Considers Turning to The Pros

With its national team players struggling, the Indonesian Badminton Association, or PBSI, looks set to turn to its professional shuttlers.

The country is desperate to reclaim the Sudirman Cup for the first time since the inaugural tournament in 1989, and it is considering all options to win back the mixed team championship title.

Indonesia has some of the world’s best shuttlers in men’s singles, men’s doubles and mixed doubles, but that alone will not guarantee success. Markis Kido and Hendra Setiawan, the world’s No. 1 men’s doubles team, are no sure thing as Markis is still undergoing physiotherapy for a knee injury.

“We need an experienced shuttler on standby in case Markis should need to be replaced,” men’s doubles coach Sigit Pamungkas said on Thursday.

Markis and Hendra will return to competition following a two-month layoff at the Asian Championship in Suwon, South Korea, on April 7-12. Just in case, though, Sigit contacted former national team shuttler Alvent Yulianto Chandra, who played alongside Luluk Hadiyanto on the national team and partnered Candra Wijaya at the 2007 Sudirman Cup.

“I chose Alvent for his experience in national squads, and he can adapt quickly with a new partner, whoever he is,” Sigit said. “I’ve asked the PBSI to consider his name for the team list.”

Alvent left the national camp in February over a contract dispute. He then started playing professionally with another former national shuttler, Hendra Aprida Gunawan.

Alvent said he has no grudge against the PBSI.

“Before leaving the camp, I promised Sigit that he could call me anytime if the country needs me,” he said. “But I won’t be back to the training camp after the Sudirman Cup.”

Indonesia has world No. 1 duo Nova Widianto and Liliyana Natsir and rising stars Devin Lahardi Fitriawan and Lita Nurlita in mixed doubles, but coach Richard Mainaky wants one more pair.

Former national team duo Flandy Limpele and Vita Marissa could fit the bill, but Richard said the decision was up to the PBSI.

Vita said she was willing to discuss the move. “If they want me back, then they will take action. I’ll just wait until that happens.”

The country’s men’s singles ranks look thin as Sony Dwi Kuncoro has only recently recovered from a back injury and Simon Santoso has yet to show much consistent form.

Former badminton great Heryanto Arbi said the PBSI should call Taufik Hidayat, who won the India Open Gold Grand Prix title last week.

“I predicted Indonesia would struggle hard in the Sudirman Cup, but with Taufik on the team, I think it would give the squad a boost,” Heryanto told state-run news agency Antara.

Taufik reached the semifinals of the 2009 All England and the quarterfinals at the Swiss Open Super Series, losing both times to world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia, before winning his first trophy of the year in Hyderabad.

Lius Pongoh, the PBSI head of athletes’ development, said professional players still have a chance to make the squad. The association has until April 10 to announce its Sudirman Cup roster.

17. seawell

seawell Regular Member

Veteran Alvent stands in for Cup duty

Agnes Winarti , The Jakarta Post , Jakarta

Veteran Alvent Yulianto is likely to replace Olympic gold medalist Markis Kido in the upcoming Sudirman Cup.

Pairing with Hendra Setiawan, Kido won Indonesia's only gold, in the men's doubles, at the Beijing Olympics, but has struggled since then with a knee injury.

With the biennial mixed team badminton championship set to be held from May 10 to 17 in Guangzhou, China, the Badminton Association of Indonesia (PBSI) is desperate to find a replacement for Kido.

The team is relying heavily on the men's doubles and mixed doubles to score crucial points in the competition, which features men's and women's singles, and men's, women's and mixed doubles matches.

Indonesia triumphed the first time the competition, named after Indonesian badminton legend **** Sudirman, was played in 1989.

"Alvent has experience and has the playing style that suits Hendra's," men's doubles coach Sigit Pamungkas said Thursday on the sidelines of a training session at the PBSI camp in Cipayung, East Jakarta.

"We're still trying Alvent out with other doubles players, like M. Aksan, though. We'll see what the best combination is," Sigit said.

Alvent has been training at the Cipayung camp since before the recently concluded India Open tournament.

Because of the injury, Kido and Hendra, ranked No. 1 in the world, have been absent from two Super Series tournaments - the All England and the Swiss Open.

The pair will be deployed at the Asian Championship next week, where the PBSI is keen to see how Kido is progressing.

"He still has a great chance to play in the Sudirman Cup," Sigit said.

"He needs to gain some more tournament experience first by playing in Korea."

The Asian Championship in Suwon will run from April 7 to 12.

In the mixed doubles, coach Richard Mainaky is currently focusing to reshape the world No. 1 pair of Nova Widianto and Liliyana Natsir. The team is also preparing their stand-ins, Devin Lahardi Fitriawan and Lita Nurlita.

Olympic bronze medallist Maria Kristin Yulianti will be Indone-sia's ace in the women's singles, while world No. 5 Sony Dwi Kuncoro will lead the men's singles challenge.

"I prefer to concentrate on forging the players we still have," Richard said when asked whether players outside the training camp would be called in.

"To call back players to join the Sudirman team is the PBSI's responsibility. If the association really needs them, they should approach the players at least a month before the event."

18. jutawin

jutawin Regular Member

Student
    China already have 2 points from WS & WD.. INA have to win in MS, MD & XD..
    we have to be realistic, China still have the biggest chance.
    in Thomas Cup, other countries still have possibility to win it.

19. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

In the past, Youngsters were fielded because either they are already good enough to challenge any top player, like LD, BCL, Hafiz in 2002, TH in 2000, or there is no other choice, like Simon Santoso in 2004.

20. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Andre did confirm he's not involved in the Sudirman Cup when he was in Vancouver last week.

I'm wondering, isn't that a rather huge squad? Isn't there a limit on the number of players you can name?