Badminton commentators - what do we think of them?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Mini Me, Aug 21, 2008.

1. ryim_

ryim_ Regular Member

Capital Market Research
    I just know that John Burgess always thinks that Ha Tae Kwon is Lee Dong Soo :p

2. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    It will be hard to criticize Choon Hann as he hardly say anything as commentator :D

3. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    Is that the dude who did the 2006WC commentary?? Gosh he was awful. Even worse was a lady who help comment on the PG videos, she's supremely biased and not downright more annoying than that dude.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6868097614382669881

She sounds like a fan...

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm, i always thought..

...in sports broadcast, there is always the play-by-play announcer and the color commentator?
    In this case, i thought John Burgess aka our Oldhand's fave commentator;), is the play-by-play announcer?? And his partner, Gillian Clark, is the color commentator??...:confused:
    Or are they both trying to be the color commentators as well as being a play-by-play announcer, at the same time??..:confused:

Btw, i just thought it's somewhat interesting for some of us who are multi-lingual & can understand the many different language commentators (e.g. Mandarin, English, Malay)....Maybe if our Oldhand understands Malay, he could just listen to M'sia's Hasbullah Awang for the commentaries...;):cool:

5. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    For the first part, I would call them a Commentator & a summariser. Gill Clarke is the summariser in UK TV broadcasts with various summarisers.

I am not bi lingual but when I listen to Malaysian/Chinese commentaries they seem to talk non-stop in monotone and seem not to react or give any excitement to the actual game.

6. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Neither of them is anyone we have discussed here.
    By the way, the guy in the linked video sounds like a South Korean.
    And, definitely, he is not 'That Guy' ;)

7. Athelete1234

Student
    The guy is Kevin Han I think, but did you hear the girl? You can hear on some other youtube clips. Here's a clip featuring "the guy" and "the girl"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0X-sdwgXz4

8. event

event Regular Member

The woman in both the Chen vs. Gade and the Sato vs. Gade clips is Charmaine Reid of Canada. I've been hearing her periodically since she did the on-court interviews at the 2005 World Championships.

The man in Sato vs. Gade is obviously Burgess. I don't recognize the man in Chen vs. Gade but I'm sure he's not a Korean and I've only heard Han speak once, 4 years ago on Good Morning America so I'll defer to Athelete1234 on that one.

Let's face it, commentary in every sport starts to grate after a while, even in sports like basketball or NFL "football" where they have oodles of money to train pro broadcasters to not be idiots about the game and pro athletes not to be idiots about broadcasting. Hasn't everyone wished they could watch every sport with the sounds of the game and without the commentary? If you want that opportunity, try to track down the MD final from the Atlanta Olympics. It has sound and replays but no commentary but as I remember, the mike seems to have been very close to one Malaysian fan with a distinctive cheer.
    I suspect your claim to have failed is a rhetorical one, but I'll take the bait and humour you with a response anyway.;) I believe he uses this to refer to a reach-around drop or smash executed with the forearm turned such that the racquet strikes the shuttle "inside" (i.e. from within the shoulder span) with the racquet face that contacts the shuttle facing "out" (i.e. when a righthander slices the left side of the shuttle to make it spin off to the right). I actually don't mind the expression and I think I might even have used it myself with both a grimace and a mental tip of the hat to its jovial coiner.

9. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

From what I've yet seen and heard, his 'inside out' moment comes when someone plays a crosscourt smash or a crosscourt drop. I really can't see how such a caveman expression implies those shots.

What I'd give for a 'I'm out' moment from him :(

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..actually i meant to say, for the latter, is a color/technical analyst. Afterall, both of them are commentators.:)
    Yes, i know you're not bi-lingual; it was a general comment. Although, akhem, you know a bit of the language of your better half..;)
    ..i would somewhat concur, with above & also of jamesd20, when i'm watching sports on tv; may it be basketball, baseball, American football, futbol/soccer (i think i'm going to start spelling it like that;)), tennis, badminton etc.. The announcers/commentators eventually turned into blabbers..:p
    The bit about the commentators during the 2006 WC, yes they were Charmaine & Kevin; it was also well chronicled, with the many colorful "commentators", in the thread below:p; which is somewhat similar to this current thread:

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36382

#70 ctjcad, Dec 5, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  11. Athelete1234

Student
    Oh yeah I forgot, there were some american commentators hired for the 2004 olympics in english...god they were absolutely awful...

12. coryprice

coryprice Regular Member

Home Depot
    I just wanted to say that I really love Gillian Clark for her commentary. I think it adds to the excitement to have someone express their excitement at something that happens on the court, especially a good or unbelievable shot.

Id also like to say that I loved Morten Frost at the AE2008. I learned so much about what I was watching, understood it better, and it majorly enhanced my experience of what I was viewing.

I can also say that having introduced a person with no experience or understanding of competitive badminton whatsoever, my best friend Carol, has come to love badminton so much more having watched matches with commentary, and especially found the matches with Gillian Clark and Morten Frost to help her understand what she is seeing so much better, that without it, or with other people, she sometimes has a hard time even enjoying watching it.

So I say kudos to Gillian, thank you to Morten (please come back asap), and to those who prefer no commentary, I recommend it stay, but I wish there was a way it could be quieted so you could enjoy it the way you prefer.

Cheers everyone!
    Cory

13. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

:p..they'll probably make our Oldhand's fave commentator look like a genius, don't they??..;)

14. narnia

narnia Regular Member

You guys should hear the commentaries of Lee Dong Soo. He knows all the details about the real tactics and strategies with sharing the pros and cons of the old uncles and current top-rankers he had played with. We learn much a lot from his commentaries. He usually do the job in every Korean Open but sorry he only speaks korean... :)

15. modious

modious Regular Member

John Burgess made an interesting comment while doing commentary on the Women's Doubles match between MAS and KOR yesterday.

I've heard that most people actually turn the sound off when they're watching badminton when I'm commentating. :eek::p;)

16. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

hehe..i heard that too!!:)
    lucky he knows:rolleyes:
    maybe he read bc forum??:eek:

17. Vodude

Vodude Regular Member

General Sales
    Ehh is that guys who commenting in most of SS?
    Including now in Malaysia KK SS Final?
    LOL yesterday on match TH vs LCW, the commentator said that if LCW wont win this SS Final he will eat his own hat.. LOL

18. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

He said that because he doesn't wear a hat.
    What That Guy truly needs is a locked ball-gag :(

19. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

I wish the producers would take serious and immediate note of this truth :mad:

20. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    i've heard some pretty good chinese commentators...very accurate analysis. Whereas some others simply misinforms the audience (esp audiences who have little badminton knowledge). I know they're entitled to their personal opinion, but sometimes i think that their opinions are way off... And some even commentate like they're teaching the players how to play.

But overall, i wish they should make broadcasts dual sound and allow you to shut the commentator up. i'd rather listen to the shuttle being slapped and shoes squeaking against the floor.