Karakal BN60 vs Victor BS10 or BS12

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by No_footwork, May 27, 2015.

1. No_footwork

No_footwork Regular Member

Accountant
    Hello Fellow BCers,

Getting an itch to acquire another racket and I'm considering the Karakal BN60. My game has evolved from valuing power to appreciating defense, precision and maneuverability.

For equal or better opponents, I typically use the BS10 (29#) and BS12 KRP (28#). I loved both for the defensive boost (returning smashes and drives) along with respectable power to keep the fellas on the other side of the net honest. I really have no complaints about either Braveswords, but I am generally unfaithful when it comes to rackets.

Quick summary of where my game is currently.

1. I have a slightly above-average full and stick smash, but less likely to use them since my opponents are getting better and continuous smashing tires me out. I generally chose to smash when situation arises where I can win the point outright.

2. Consider myself as a good defender of drives and smashes, but still horrible at retrieving dropshots (but that is a me problem, not something my racket can help).

3. Like to test my opponents' footwork with pushes, drops and clears. I consider myself fleet of foot once I recognize the shot, but footwork is less than stellar (Again a me problem).

IMO my current rackets fulfills my current play style, but wonder if the BN60 can offer more?

Thank you.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

I can't comment about the BN60.

But if you can handle the BS10, XP60 and XP70, then you should consider the JS10.

3. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I played all three and can maybe help.:) As BS10 user, my BS10 is my go-to. But I demoed the mentioned rackets and can give a short comparison. I don't want to do fancy 9.7865/10 ratings or that for each shot. Just sharing my impressions. I don't compare the KRP version. I used the comercial one.

Power: BS10 > BN60 >BS12
    Defence: BN60 >BS12 >BS10
    Durability: BS10>=BS12>BN60
    Control: BS10>BN60>=BS12
    Feel: BS10>BN60>BS12

IMO the BS12 is lagging due the flexible shaft. The BN60 is by bending a tiny bit more flex, but feels more stiff during play. Tbh I didn't played all with my prefered string and tension. BS10 was @ 30 with BG80 Power, BS12 was @25 with NBG95 and BN60 @25 with ZM69Fire. I can report that the BN60 is not the sturdiest racket. I know two different players whose BN60 broke on a mishit at same position. That mean nothing, because I don't know the whole history of each racket, but is just a obversation.

4. No_footwork

Accountant
    Cool. Thanks for the insight! Bummer about the durability issue with BN60.

Although, we have 2 different versions of the BS12 I am in agreement regarding the defence comparison between the 2 BS (Maybe the BS 12 has a larger hitting surface that allows me to get the strings on a fast drive or smash?). Also agree that the BS10 is better with the control (I thought it may be due to the slightly higher tension 29 lbs vs. 28 lbs).

Would you say the margin for defence for the BN60 is significant over the BS12? This aspect is what I am looking for. I may just take my chances with the durability since I can get it for only about 110 in the US.

5. No_footwork

Accountant
    Hey Visor- I've drifted in and out of the JS10 thread and it seems like this latest JS is a real winner.

However, I am sort of slow with jumping on the bandwagon with new stuff. I typically wait to see the reviews after the excitement (hype) dies down. I bought all the Thrusters to learn the series is not for me. I know respected posters have sworn by the TK6000 and the TK9000 (6 out of 5 ratings, etc), but to me they are not even close to my MX80, SW35 or the BS series.

So I am a little gun shy with the JS10 right now. But you never known, I am a chronic racket accumulator...

#5 No_footwork, May 27, 2015
    Last edited: May 27, 2015
  6. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    I currently play with the BS12 as my main racket, have owned the BN60 (before it broke in a clash) and not played with the BS10.

The BN60 is a nice defensive racket, effortless defending smashes and drives, however for me it just lacked the overall balance I wanted for my game. I am an all round player but play perhaps defensive and then hit on the counter when I can. For me the BS12 has withstood some serious clashes so in durability it is right up there, the BN60 broke with just the first clash but I suppose having a 60 gram frame has its drawbacks.

I also found the BS12 to be sharper around the net, perhaps the sword shape cuts through the air faster to compliment my swing speed, I dunno, it just felt nicer. I normally play with head light rackets, hence why I had purchased the BN60 but it was perhaps too light for my game. Just my thoughts, hope it helps.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    Nothing happens until you move.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Hehe... wait till Paul puts out his review on it in the next few weeks to months, then you'll understand why... :D

8. No_footwork

Accountant
    Hmmm...I am guessing 7 out of possible 5? :p

9. No_footwork

Accountant
    Ajay- Thanks for sharing your experience with the 2 rackets. I also love the BS12 for it's speed and sharpness. Like I wrote earlier, nothing wrong with the BS10 and BS12, I just have wandering eyes.

btw- I find the BS12 frame twist slightly if I don't hit it correctly at times. Doesn't happen anymore, just initially when I was first playing with it. Although that statement can apply to any racket on a mishit...Just wonder if anyone else have the same experience? I don't recall having that with the BS10.

#9 No_footwork, May 27, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
  10. visor

visor Regular Member

Sorry, can't help you there because the head lags so darn much for me...
    Hehe... :)

11. hannster

hannster Regular Member

Principal Architect
    Hi there, Nofootwork... I own the Karakal BN60, BS12 and JS10. I don't have the BS10, although I've tried it before.

Unless you really really need a lightweight racket, I don't recommend the BN60. It's great at the net and midcourt, but to me, it lacks any serious power from the backcourt and there's palpable vibrations.

You're right about the twisting / torquing in the BS12, and that's probably due to the more flexible shaft. But it's a great all-round racket, even if slightly lacking in power.

The BS10 is a stiffer, punchier BS12, but slightly more unwieldy.

You won't go wrong with either the BS10, BS12 or JS10. I'd save the BN60 only for the longest of sessions, and strictly for positioning and defensive play.

12. No_footwork

Accountant
    [MENTION=118911]hannster[/MENTION]- Thanks for your feedback. After considering your and others posts, it appears that BN60 may be too light (fragile) for me. Plus I am not thrilled about the vibrations from a skinny frame.

I am going to hold off getting BN60 for now. I suspect my BS10/BS12 KRP are plenty fast and still provide enough power against my current competition.

13. rtl95

rtl95 Regular Member

[MENTION=118911]hannster[/MENTION]. how do u compare your js10 to the BS10 and 12 in terms of speed, power, and control?

14. hannster

hannster Regular Member

Principal Architect
    Hi there... I don't have the BS10, so I can't make a proper comparison. Won't go into the numbers either - there're SERIOUS fellas out here in the forums who measure everything - but would go more with my feel and memory.

The JS10 is about as fast as the BS12, even though the 12 feels like it cuts through the air quicker. Both are among my fastest rackets.

I generally like stiffer rackets, so to me, the JS10 has slightly better control. Shorter, sharper, and the smaller frame is more manoeuvrable.

Power requires different techniques with both rackets, which has been heavily discussed in either the JS10 or BS12 forum... My JS10 is weighted 4U and BS12 is 3U. Power I'd say is equivalent. If I had a 3U JS10, or a 4U BS12, I'd say the JS10 would have more repulsion.

I do remember the BS12 'learning curve' being slightly more forgiving than the JS10's.

Hope that helps!

15. No_footwork

Accountant
    Hope I didn't give the impression I was teasing about a certain UK badminton coach. I respect the information and the work he puts in. He is, w/o question, helping the badminton community to better enjoy this sport. His reviews of the SW35 and BS10 were definitely spot on with me. Love those two babies.

I had a moment of weakness and wanted to blame something else for my incompatibility with the TK series. The issue is definitely with the player and not so much the rackets.

16. visor

visor Regular Member

Oh hey, you misunderstood me... I was referring to your post #9 re BS12.

And in his first impressions with the JS10, he is very seriously impressed by it. So a 7 out of 5 is not out of the question... :)

17. No_footwork

Accountant
    Gotcha.

Regarding the JS10. Arggh! I have already too many rackets and they just won't break! Getting really hard to justify getting racket #14 (or so).

Maybe if I start taking all the middle shots in doubles in hopes of cracking a few frames to reduce my inventory?

18. visor

visor Regular Member

Nah, don't break them! Just sell them... even if you take a slight hit (a third?), you'll still be better off and have additional funds for upgrades and acquisitions...

19. ownz.uno

ownz.uno Regular Member

Now I'm following Visor in most of BS10 thread... any other cheaper alternative from other brand that can perform as BS10?

20. Jedcoyxiicut

Jedcoyxiicut New Member

Director
    I am using a Karakal BN60 strung with Yonex BG66 Ultimax at 22lbs (Feel wise 25lbs). I was told by my stringer that these rackets has a plus minus 3lbs tension variance so if I wanted a 25lbs feel, the actual tension will be 22lbs. Unlike most Carlton rackets i use if I wanted a 27lbs feel, the actual tension strung would be 27lbs. I can say the overall balance is great for decent smashes and extremely good defense for doubles play. Only concern is the racket is very light and I do not know if it will survive a clash with another racket is hit.