Kindly advice - Suggestions on string tension and type.

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Lestat De'Lioncourt, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Lestat De'Lioncourt

Lestat De'Lioncourt New Member

Hope I find you well.

Intermediate club player. Need help and suggestions on string to go with my Jetspeed S12 4u and S10 3u (both HK coded).

String that I currently use is BG 65 @ 28lbs. Loved the BG66 Ultimax but didn't like the feel after approximately 3-4 weeks so had to cut and restring.

Issues:
    String moves too much - biggest pet peeve for me. (Any advice would be sincerely appreciated.)

I love the durability of the 65 but hate it losing tension so cut it and re-string it once a month.

I went through several posts and based on Dinkalots (?) review have decided to try out Ashaway Micro Power at next stringing.

Any suggestions on what strings go best with the above mentioned racquets. I like both 66 Ultimax and BG65.

Either I like the feel on both strings or I am numb.

Kindly advice.

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Ashaway MicroPower is a nice string. :) More like BG 65 than 66Ultimax.
    I'm curious where you are getting it.... I didn't think it was available anymore.

If you find you are losing tension on strings, have you tried pre-stretching before stringing?
    I'm no expert, but I think that BG 65Ti may hold tension a bit better than 65. It does feel a different, though.
    BG 70 is supposed to be very durable and steady.

As for string movement, that is a feature of very thin strings like BG 66. You get used to adjusting after a little while.

With regards to what string next: Well, you already like two very different strings, so it is impossible to know what else you may like.
    The world is your oyster; so go explore. :cool: (Some stores offer assorted sample packs, eg. Mybadmintonstore.com)
    Good luck!

3. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Most strings (esp. Soft ones) dont last >1 mnth. IMHO its not penny-wise to buy expensive strings, thar's why i try to avoid the hypes. There r plenty of decent off-brand strings, ask yr stringer (assuming u hv a decent stringer)

4. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

BG80 holds tension pretty well and doesn't move much at 28lbs, it's also a hard string and I prefer it well above bg65. 66UM is also nice, but yeah, doesn't last long. 65Ti also lasts long and holds tension. (but come on, bg80 is just amazing)

speCulatius likes this.
  5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    This.

It's amazing how BG80 stands the test of time.

ucantseeme likes this.
  6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

+1 for BG80. A safe bet imo.

And may I throw in Li-Ning No.1 as a more durable alternative to BG66UM? :)

7. Babar

Babar Regular Member

Yep but Li-Ning #1 moves a lot IMO (and it seems it was an important point to the OP)

8. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    #1 needs to be strung 2lb higher than bg80

9. Lestat De'Lioncourt

Thank you, for you all of your replies. I had at one time tried BG 80 but found I liked BG66UM better. Maybe I will try it again.

10. Lestat De'Lioncourt

I meant to ask my stringer if he had something like that available. And thanks for the advice. I have been tried a lot of strings over the past two years. Any suggestions on what is a suitable replacement for the Ashaway Micro Power, if any available.

11. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

If it's the very hard feeling you didn't like, maybe give BG 80 Power a shot. It's been a long time since I've tried it, but it might work.

Or maybe something in between BG 80 and 66UM? Have you tried Gosen G-Tone 5? Nice feedback without being as hard as 80 while they have a lot of similarities. Being thinner than 80, I'd put it somewhere in between 80 and 66UM though. 80 is much more durable though.

12. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I can tell you about the moving that the freshness and ratio will be often the culprit instead of the string itself. 2lbs on cross will have more moving mains than +1lbs on cross or square. I experienced this on my machine a few years ago.

IMO you had 2 of the most tension losers. BG80 and BG80Power are worth the shot. Played both over years in the JS10. I like atm BG80Power more because it's easier on the arm. If you come from BG65 and BG66UM, I recommend to start with the Power which has a softer feel compared to BG80. If you want to start with BG80 I recommend to drop 2-3 lbs compared to your previous strings.

swsh likes this.
  13. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    +1 for BG80 Power. Was gonna recommend it but seems you already had hehe.

Have had BG80P for a VERY long time on my Apacs (rest in pieces) and my 9900. The performance never really went bad. It's the string I never cut because of that unless tension is way too low. I always notice the drop in 80 when it comes to performance but it seems that's not the case with 80p or it's not as noticeable anyway.

14. Lestat De'Lioncourt

Hello swsh & ucantseeme & speCulatius,

I would love to get my hands on BG80 Power but the only stringer we have doesn't have the string.

So I was never able to try it out. May I should buy the string myself and have him put it on.

Thanks for all the help. Sincerely appreciate everyone who pitched in.

15. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Get 2 sets of BG80 Power online. Go to him for the labour. If it's great for you, go for a reel.

swsh likes this.
  16. Lestat De'Lioncourt

Good idea! Thanks.