Singapore Badminton Scene

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Loh, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I guess LXY is there for the support even though she is injured. She deserved to be there with the team for having trained with them until her injury stopped her. After all KL is nearby and it doesn't cost much to send her there. She will contribute once she has fully recovered.

2. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    Yup...not an issue of her being there, she deserve it and also as a moral support to the other team members....this cannot be denied, a team event is important to have moral support.
    Btw, she has been out for some time, is the injury serious?

Guess is the harder you train, the easier you to get injured, part and parcel of training to reach the top! Push your body to the limit....wish her speedy recovery and come back stronger.

Nice team here, should keep pushing the girls and I noticed there are a few youngsters there as well....congrats and continue to push harder.
    Hope SBA to keep working on the team here and give them the appropriate training and exposure...

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
  4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
  5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
  6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
  7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
  8. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    SG is missing head coach .....Just read the news about Morten Frost, can we get him? I think he is right man for the job..
    then again would he want to come? :-(
    if he comes, it would be a good catch for SG...

9. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

is our SBA in harmony and stable? there have been many changes in coaches here too, which to me suggest that the top want results fast and don't give the coaching team time to produce them.

10. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    i have a suggestion.....change the top? can?
    if the top is elected, can the people elect to change? or is the top selected? can share how it works at the top?
    Actually if you ask me, the top wants results fast, and results are not coming in, then the top should be the 1st to go....SBA not like that? Is the coaches that go and the top remains...no wonder we are in the doldrums..

11. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

i dunno how SBA function, but i do hope it dun follow the footsteps of football. look at how our lions become cats.

spidey likes this.
  12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Too many changes at SBA that can cause instability.

I just hope they are producing good quality numbers at the school level especially at our Sports School. There should be a continuation to the tertiary level at our polys and varsities. Meaning good coaching program with respectable coaches and good administrative support.

Nowadays you don't see any of our top players at top competitions.
    Neither do you see our top umpires in action. Thailand has even superseded us in this regard when at one time they were learning from us.
    SAD, SAD, SAD! :(

Therefore to have such a top coach as MF to coach our limited underperforming national players is just a waste of time and money.

13. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    I think we should give the players a chance.
    To be coach by a top player, that opportunity don't come often and to be coach by THE player, as in MF, this is a opportunity of a lifetime. Given a chance, I think the junior players enjoy it and gives their best. Sometimes, we just need these influential coaches to lead and dictate the juniors, who knows, because of him, the players might raise to the occasion and become a star.....
    Just look at the French squad.....there were nobody 3 years ago....and I saw some bright sparks recently from some of the players....and you know who is there....another Legend!
    Really hope something come out soon and the top stop fooling around....

alien9113 likes this.
  14. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    yeah....looking at the direction, don't be surprise.....a lot of other sports are heading the same direction too...
    look at the marathon man, of course he has a right to voice is displeasure if the Association is not doing anything for him, in the end wanna take a cut off his winnings, if I were him, I'll be pissed off as well....another example is our golden boy Joseph.....see the swimming association...they dare not take a picture with him, but still wanna take the $200k from him, the skin so thick...again what policy is this or who set such policy.
    If you are the parents - how would you feel, you have sold your house to sponsored your kids....and the Association now wants a cut....how would you feel as a parents.
    I wuld probably as my kid to quit and go study. Why would we want to represent Singapore!!!

15. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

yeah, none of my badminton kakis would support their children to be a professional, because there is no long term career here. study and getting a cert is still the safest route.

16. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    people at the top are killing the sports! all have their personal agenda.....I think for those people holding the top positions, they should not be politicians.....to me is a conflict of interest, let the professionals run the show....and politicians go back to your political post...

sen likes this.
  17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I wouldn't take it this way.

A professional athlete's career is not expected to last very long going by the examples we have seen in the sports world, no matter how good he/she is.

Some sports allow an athlete to stay competitive longer but only up to a point, when the physical side fails as a natural process of ageing or because of injuries. In badminton, players who can still perform at the top beyond 30 years of age are considered exceptional, the likes of LD, LCW, LHI, Bomo, etc.

But it doesn't mean they will fail later in their career, depending on what they have chosen to do. Even the most well-educated non-athlete among the majority of us will have to change his/her job over the course of his/her working career, some successful, some not so. Successful athletes who have amassed a lot of dollars during their professional days have a good number of options, so long as they are well advised in their investments or businesses. They can even go back to school to learn new things or to follow their passion, which they were unable to do much earlier as athletes

As you probably know, the Singapore government is mindful of the parents' dilemma in this regard and has specially established the Singapore Sports School to continue the students' education while they receive specialized training in their chosen sports. The students even have the opportunity to advance their studies to the tertiary level which can allow them to take up another profession after sports. So the decision for the parents of talented children should not be so difficult.

But to discover talented and passionate athletes in Singapore is not that easy. They are very limited in number and because of Singapore's small population and the parents' old-fashion mind-set, it is even more difficult. However it doesn't mean we cannot produce champion athletes who are able to contribute to Singapore society when they have retired. A good example is our swimming fraternity. An Olympic champion in Joseph Schooling and some older Olympians became useful members of our society, not necessary as coaches but also as professionals like doctors, sports administrators, business people, etc.

I hope badminton can also do likewise as swimming. We do have coaches, sports administrators and others in business, thus our ex-national players are not out of a job because of lower academic qualifications. But we lack a world-class badminton professional who can raise Singapore's flag at international competitions.

When one is young and talented, this is the best time to be nurtured into a top-class athlete. Not after school nor NS (compulsory National military service) for the guys. Because one can never go back in time to be young again. One can pursue studies later.

Perhaps our badminton talent,Yeo Jiamin, can set the pace?

18. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

Schooling is a rare case, where his parents fought hard to push for his deferment, and is willing to sacrifice a lot to support his passion.
    Ordinary folks with limited resources would have surrender.
    Had he finished fourth in Rio, will govt see that as an achievement or a failure?

Indeed a successful player would have amassed a fortune by the time he retired, but how about less successful players?
    Maybe sponsoring or subsidizing retired players to be coaches or study in sports management/therapy, etc, will show that SBA do care and plan for you after your playing days are over.
    Plus govt should consider deferring NS for all males that represent the country in various sports.

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    That's why Schooling and his parents are exceptional to win an Olympic gold for Singapore. We are not talking about ordinary folks who cannot make up their minds and dare not to take the risk.

But the talented athletes have shown it can be done with government help and NS deferment. If a male athlete shows he is of Olympic caliber, the government has made concessions and it seems more assistance are in the pipeline. But not all who represent the country can be as talented or dedicated, so the government has to be selective to make it fair to all and not to waste unnecessary resources for a small country like Singapore.

20. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    just read in the MY local news, MF is open for talks.....quick SBA..go,go,go......go big or go home!

alien9113 likes this.