Anybody successfully recovered from tennis elbow?

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by white91, Jun 10, 2017.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

I'll still repeat myself: that must have been some crazy strong adhesive **** to cause such an injury with effusion!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

2. white91

white91 Regular Member

It's really tough stuff, it should really be mixed by machine and in hindsight I would definitely used one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. guitar_pic

guitar_pic Regular Member

MIS Sales Consultant
    Since last week, I have been going to a different physio place that specializes more on sports rehab. I explained all the methods my past physiotherapist has tried, and with this new place, they are giving me shockwave therapy.

So far, I think it's helping as the treatment focuses right on the injury area. Where the treatment that was being done to me in the other center was to try to relax the muscles around the area.

I just finished my 2nd session this morning. I definitely feel better after the end of each session since my elbow feels numb, but the pain does return later on in the day. I'm hoping this is the solution for my particular case..........

4. white91

white91 Regular Member

Just a quick update on my progress I will be seeing my consultant Tuesday, who will have my MRI scan results. He has also spoken briefly about shockwave therapy as a possible treatment. Finally it looks I will be getting a full diagnosis, and suitable treatment. Not held a racket in months now!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. guitar_pic

guitar_pic Regular Member

MIS Sales Consultant
    Hope things go well for you. For me, I'm taking the entire Aug off from teaching. So I am praying that, plus the shockwave treatments will show some results.

6. eric213

eric213 Regular Member

What I'm about to say may be different but I hope it helps.
    I
    used to suffer from golf elbow, main from badminton, after 1 year of playing. My elbow hurts a lot every time after a game until I met a coach that taught me how to use shoulder instead of elbow when smashing. This really helps me a lot and my elbow has been injury-free so far (touch wood) which I in return have to re-learn every arm movement (weaker smash especially but it'll get better both ways in the long run, elbow and smashes).

Maybe ask a coach to help adjust your technique?

dave010 likes this.
  7. InvincibleAjay

InvincibleAjay Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Okay first of all don't go the steroid route, it does nothing to cure the problem, only mask it as the steroids helps with the inflammation and hence pain. In the long term, the pain comes back as the steroid effects wear off.

Physiotherapy and making changes so that the tendon can heal and then do some exercises to make it a bit stronger. Whilst you are recovering, don't lift anything heavy on the injured arm or do anything that involves gripping tightly or using force. You elbow needs rest in order to heal. It can be done though. I've never had full blow tennis elbow pain but my wife did and hers was related to poor technique. I helped her rehab and corrected her technique and since then she has not had the pain again.

Kindest regards,

-Ajay-

Quote of the Day
    It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.

8. Slayer74

Slayer74 Regular Member

White91, I had TE and recovered but it took me up to 4mths to 6mths off the game and went into recovery and self rehab mode. Before injury I was using 24lbs tension, after injury and 3 years later, I can now manage 28lbs to 30lbs without issues. I am not expert but there one advise you must take 'off the game, get into recovery and rehab mode'

Read this......I will reply to your questions when I can....( I still do the exercise/stretching has mentioned)

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...oper-exercise-to-prevent-tennis-elbow.143651/

Azmi Yusof likes this.
  9. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Had a bout of tennis elbow for about 4-5 months. First came a month after picking up a 3U VT80 having used a 4U VT70 for a long time before. Trying to force a head heavy 3U racquet to do 4U even balance strokes with little adjustment time does not work.

The tennis elbow was fairly constant over the next few weeks - i would let it 'recover' by using my VT80 part session, and then VT70 for the remainder, increasing the time gradually. My VT80 then clashed and broke, so I ended up buying a Z-Force 2 because i'm young and stupid.

Needless to say, the tennis elbow got worse.

After a couple of months of the same on/off thing between VT70/ZF2, my tennis elbow started to get 'magically' get better. Turns out I naturally adopted a much more "arm"y swing as the pain response clearly made my body adjust. The swing change was not just using shoulder, but the would arm almost resembled a panhandle stroke for all overheads - if you take the wrist and finger power out of the equation, funnily enough the tennis elbow stops being a problem.

Anyway, I sold up the ZF2 and went back to the VT80 and just accepted a slower smash and re-learned wrist technique. Since I have had to slowly re-learn the wrist/finger technique, my arm has slowly adapted - it was the sudden transitions that hammered it in the first place.

10. paul27

paul27 Regular Member

I suffered from tennis elbow for about 6-8 months. This was almost 2 years ago. Didn't see any doctors or had any x-rays since I was living in Thailand and didn't know much about the language. It was so painful until I couldn't lift up anything with my arms straight. Still continued to play 3-4 times a week but wore a tennis elbow strap, which helped ease the pain while playing. Kept icing after every session and constantly applying Voltaren emu gel every night. Also avoid food that might cause inflammation like duck meat, prawns, etc.
    What I think helped was the daily exercises and stretches. You basically have to get your muscles stronger to overcome it.
    If possible swap to a lighter head racket until you get stronger. Was using ZF2 with BG80. It was too hard and stiff!

I'm free from tennis elbow now and don't wear the strap anymore. Still enjoying my badminton weekly.

kwun likes this.
  11. Victor68

Victor68 Regular Member

I don't know if mine is a tennis elbow but I experienced elbow pain after a badminton game which is on a Sunday. This will last till almost end of the week and then the next Sunday game. Beside elbow, my shoulder also experienced some pain. The funny thing is, even my non playing left elbow suffers pain.

So, I decided to do some weight. I started last week and this week, after my Sunday game, it seems much better. I will continue for a while to see if this helps. My theory is, I am using too much of my bone joints instead of muscles. So, I need to build in some.

12. Petersen

Petersen Regular Member

I was suffering from a Tennis elbow/cold shoulder for around 2 years, cramps night after night, tried everything>> X-Ray there wasn't anything to see >>physiotherapist >> chiropractor>> electrotherapy>> massage>> reflexology>> and of-course Voltaren and light rackets, exercises, play-stop etc . Then one day I was back in Denmark again, and went to my doctor for a larger 5 years service check,, in eager I told him about my issue. My doctor has studied Chinese medicine beside of conventional western medicine, and fast convinced me that acupuncture would be the cure,, and 5 min. later he was already planting the needles around on my hand, arm and shoulder and quite fast the arm did start to tremble and I felt a warm flush running throughout shoulder and arm,, and as fast the pain flourished (Miss-hit Smash of the year) as fast it disappeared again. According my doctor it was a pinched nerve in forearm.

13. Victor68

Victor68 Regular Member

Some further update and sharing. After more than a week of light weight training, my elbow feels better but still experience pain. I happen to chance upon an article which explain why we experience such pain playing badminton. It is quite along Paul27 has shared.

I then realize I am using a extremely light racket. 7-U. I will be trying out a 4-U to see if it has less stains on my elbow and also shoulder. However, building up some muscle definitely will help.

14. Victor68

Victor68 Regular Member

Just sharing my own experiences. i have never had such problems before I swtiched to usinga 7-U racket. I find that I am using alot of strength to hit baseline return shots or smashing.
    after each session, i will experience pain and the pain will last till my next game in a week time and the cycle goes on.
    so i decided to do a bit of weight training and while driving, i squeeze a ball to strengthen my finger muscle. you need to stretch you arm straight. I have been doing this for 2 weeks. I find improvements.