Singapore Sports Scene

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Loh, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    A tribute to Singapore's best
    [​IMG]
    Dipna Lim-Prasad PHOTOS: THE STRAITS TIMES, SUKI SINGH/SPORT SINGAPORE, SOH RUI YONG
    [​IMG]
    Soh Rui YongPHOTOS: THE STRAITS TIMES, SUKI SINGH/SPORT SINGAPORE, SOH RUI YONG
    [​IMG]
    Michelle SngPHOTOS: THE STRAITS TIMES, SUKI SINGH/SPORT SINGAPORE, SOH RUI YONG
    TNP salutes the athletes - some against huge odds - who impressed at the SEA Games

David Lee
    Sports Correspondent
    Sep 02, 2017 06:00 am

DIPNA LIM-PRASAD, SOH RUI YONG & MICHELLE SNG (ATHLETICS)

She might not have won a gold, but Lim-Prasad definitely left her mark as she set a new national record of 54.18sec in the 400m, erasing Chee Swee Lee's 43-year-old mark of 55.08.

The 26-year-old's silver medal is also Singapore's first SEA Games medal in the event since Chee took gold in 1975.

Lim-Prasad, who also won a silver in the 400m hurdles, then teamed up with Wendy Enn, Shanti Pereira and Nur Izlyn Zaini to set a new national mark of 44.96 in the 4x100m relay.

Soh overcame a sponsorship row to become the first Singaporean man to retain the marathon title, while Sng won the Republic's first women's high jump gold in 52 years after a successful appeal.

"We (the team) have been talking about our (personal) struggles and I'm just very proud for each and every one of us," said Lim-Prasad.

"I think we surpassed expectations and overcame a lot of demons."

[​IMG]
    Team Singapore

How Sasha Christian bounced back from a broken leg
    Sep 03, 2017

[​IMG]
    The Singapore men’s team pulled off a major upset with their gold feat.PHOTO: SPORT SINGAPORE

MEN'S TEAM OF FIVE (BOWLING)

All eyes were on Singapore's world-class women's bowling team, but it was the men who flew under the radar before swooping in for the team gold.

After failing to medal in the men's singles, doubles and trios events, Basil Ng, Cheah Ray Han, Darren Ong, Keith Saw and Muhammad Jaris Goh pulled off one of the biggest upsets in KL.

It was no fluke either, as their six-game total of 6,399 pinfalls was way ahead of Malaysia's winning total of 6,067 pinfalls two years ago.

Said Saw, after the team clinched gold in an event Singapore last won in 1995: "We really stepped up and showed at least South-east Asia that Singapore are the team to beat."

DEBBIE SOH
    (SYNCHRONISED SWIMMING)

[​IMG]
    PHOTO: THE STRAITS TIMES

Singapore's first gold medallist in Kuala Lumpur secured a hat-trick of titles, in the solo free routine and the duet technical with Miya Yong and the team free routine title. Soh (above) also won two silvers in the solo technical and duet free.

"At the Fina World Championships, many countries were talking about Singapore and how we have improved," said Singapore coach Maryna Tsimashenka.

YU SHURAN (FIGURE SKATING)
    [​IMG]
    Yu Shuran finished 25th at the worldchampionships in March. PHOTO: AFP

The 17-year-old wasted no time in claiming the SEA Games' first winter sports gold, ahead of teammate Chloe Ing.

Having finished sixth in February's Asian Winter Games in Sapporo, as well as 25th at the World Figure Skating Championships in March, the Beijing-based Shuran looks set to be Singapore's trailblazer in winter sports.

"We've shown we have good skaters here and we want to continue bringing awareness of our sport to Singapore and the rest of South-east Asia," she said.

MEN'S TEAM (GOLF)

Singapore had never won the men's team gold in golf, but in an intense sudden-death play-off, Gregory Foo, Joshua Shou, Marc Ong and Joshua Ho made history against the Thais .

Singapore Golf Association president Ross Tan said: "The gold is very meaningful because ever since this new board was elected (in July last year), we've been working very hard. Now the seniors have delivered something which I hope will (give the developmental squad players) something to look up to."

[​IMG]
    (From left) Joshua Shou, Gregory Foo, Marc Ong and Joshua Ho.ST FILE PHOTO

MEN'S TEAM (SQUASH)

With their most experienced player Vivian Rhamanan out of the team final due to injury, the younger players - Samuel Kang, SEA Games debutants Benedict Chan and Pang Ka Hoe - stepped up to beat the Philippines 2-1, and win the Republic's first gold in this event since 1995.

[​IMG]
    (From left) Vivian Rhamanan, Pang Ka Hoe, Benedict Chan and Samuel Kang.PHOTO: THE STRAITS TIMES

In a sign that bodes well for the future of squash, the women's team took silver to add to the two golds from the men's and women's jumbo doubles events, a silver in the men's doubles and five other bronzes.

Rhamanan said: "These boys and myself have not got proper funding from Sport Singapore but we did not think about that. We achieved (the gold) and we hope this will get us more financial support from the sports authorities so that we can groom the junior players."

QUAH JING WEN, TEONG TZEN WEI (SWIMMING)

As Olympians Joseph Schooling and Quah Zheng Wen did most of the heavy lifting, 19-year-old Teong had just one job at these Games - a big one, but boy, what a splash he made.

The debutant became Asean's fastest swimmer when he clocked 22.55sec to win the 50m freestyle.
    "I will be working to try and hit that under-22 (seconds) mark," he said.

Jing Wen, 17, also impressed with her five-gold haul from the 100m and 200m fly, as well as the 4x100m, 4x200m free and 4x100m medley relays.

She said: "I don't want to put too much pressure on myself. I just want to go out there and race and hopefully hit new PBs."

[​IMG]
    Quah Jing Wen (above) and Teong Tzen Wei (below).PHOTOS: REUTERS, TNP FILE

[​IMG]
    Teong Tzen Wei PHOTOS: REUTERS, TNP FILE

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    SEA Games: Cyclist Calvin Sim's balancing act to golden success

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cyclist Calvin Sim allows himself one big dream - that his SEA Games gold medal will eventually lead to a local velodrome.ST PHOTO: KUA CHEE SIONG
    [​IMG]
    PHOTO: DANNY TOH/SINGAPORE NATIONAL OLYMPIC COUNCIL

Published
    Sep 3, 2017, 5:00 am SGT

Ho Cai Jun
    caijunh@sph.com.sg

Cycling is a balancing act - especially when racing at an elite level. For national cyclist Calvin Sim, this meant not just staying up on his bike, but also staying afloat financially.

The journey to his SEA Games omnium gold medal began not last week at the National Velodrome in Nilai town in Negri Sembilan, but when he sat down to plan his campaign last year.

He realised he needed to carefully budget his savings of $8,000 for quality training, if he were to win a medal in Kuala Lumpur.

That meant juggling additional training, high-quality races and putting in sufficient hours in his day-time job as a bike fitter to support his overseas stints.

"I used to have a full-time job," the 27-year-old told The Sunday Times on Friday. "I converted to a part-time job just for the SEA Games because training is quite tedious. (With a part-time job), I can have more time to rest and train."

Sim started saving up in late 2014 when he worked at Loue Bicycles in Bishan. Coincidentally, his boss Timothy Lim is a former national cyclist.

Earning about $2,000 per month, the polytechnic graduate switched to working part-time last November, cutting down from 49 hours of work weekly to just 12.

CONVERTING TO A PART-TIME JOB

I converted to a part-time job just for the SEA Games because training is quite tedious... I can have more time to rest and train.

CALVIN SIM , on the sacrifices he made for his SEA Games cycling omnium gold medal
    While it might not have been an easy decision having to economise, it allowed him to ramp up the training intensity.

Said Sim: "I get to choose the working schedule that I like, because sometimes I'll be away for races for up to a month."

With the lack of a velodrome in Singapore, Sim explored options the region to prepare himself for the SEA Games.

He attended about 10 races, the majority of them at the outdoor Velodrome Huamark in Bangkok.

He and his team-mates would arrive at the competition venue five days before race day to practise. Staying for a maximum of one week, each trip would cost about $1,220 ($450 on airfare, $560 on accommodation and $210 on expenses).

Back in Singapore, he would head to his "favourite" Seletar Aerospace Park in the morning, training on a road bicycle sponsored by local bicycle shop Cycleworx. Bi-monthly parts replacement will cost him $150 each time.

While Sim did not receive direct funding from Sport Singapore, he was part of the "One Team Singapore matching grant".

It saw the government match community donations to the Singapore Cycling Federation (SCF) dollar-for-dollar. Training leading up to the Games was then partially paid by the SCF, in areas like accommodation and living expenses.

Besides his monthly part-time income of $500 that bolstered the remaining expenses, Sim emphasised on planning and spending wisely.

Referring to the Bangkok Inter Place Hotel which was a three-minute cycle to and from Velodrome Huamark, he said: "We tried to find a cheaper hotel near the velodrome, so that we didn't have to incur additional transport costs. Where we lived was quite accessible and food was affordable."

He has no doubt that the sacrifices were worth it, adding: "The gold took a long time to achieve, so if the win happened to my team-mate, I'd be really happy as well. I'm willing to do it all over again."

Indeed, Sim sees himself competing until he is 30, and has already set himself new targets - qualifying for the madison and mass-start events at next year's Asian Games in Jakarta.

And after his painstaking budgeting for the SEA Games, he hopes to earn the Sports Excellence Scholarship to ease his financial load.

The 1.63m-tall cyclist allows himself one big dream - that all his efforts can help popularise track cycling here, and eventually lead to a velodrome.

He said: "If we have a velodrome in Singapore, we don't need to travel and be based overseas. We can save costs. It's also a win-win situation. The public can use it and it can promote cycling.

"I hope that other cyclists will have an easier time preparing for competitions, so that more medals can come, and we can progress to higher-level regional races, even world-level races."

GO TO OUR SEA GAMES MICROSITE FOR MORE DETAILED COVERAGE
    A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Sunday Times on September 03, 2017, with the headline 'Balancing act to golden success'. Print Edition | Subscribe

3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    [​IMG]
    Singapore Management University (SMU)

Congratulations to SMU Athletes for making us proud at the 2017 S.E.A. Games in Kuala Lumpur

Team Singapore did extremely well at the recent S.E.A Games in Kuala Lumpur clinching fourth place with a total medal tally of 57 golds, 58 silvers and 73 bronzes.

At SMU, we are also very proud of our alumni and student athletes for their achievements. We hauled in a total of 6 Golds, 7 Silvers and 9 Bronzes; 4 National Records and 2 Games Records!

Special mentions go to our two Yip Pin Xiu Scholarship recipients – School of Accountancy freshmen Shanti Pereira and Sabella Kee who both broke National Records in their respective disciplines of athletics and waterski.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here’s a list of our athletes:

Chelsea Sim, Lee Kong Chian School of Business undergrad, Taekwando
    > Women's Individual Poomsae – Bronze

Chin Khar Yi, School of Social Sciences freshman, Open Waters
    Clement Chow, Master of Professional Accounting alumnus, Triathlon
    > Men’s Triathlon – Bronze
    Danny Yeo, Lee Kong Chian School of Business undergrad, Swimming
    > Men's 4x100 Relay – Gold, National Record and Games Record
    > Men's 200M Freestyle – Bronze
    > Men's 4x200m Freestyle Relay – Gold
    Jaspal Singh Grewal, School of Accountancy undergrad, Hockey
    > Men’s Field Hockey – Bronze
    Joshua Ho Sheng Liang, Lee Kong Chian School of Business undergrad, Golf
    > Men's Team Match Play – Gold
    Lee Huimin, Ann, School of Social Sciences alumnus, Fencing
    Lee Kai Yang, School of Accountancy undergrad, Men’s Water Polo (Gold)
    Lim Yee Xien, School of Economics undergrad, Shooting
    Lionel Khoo, Lee Kong Chian School of Business undergrad, Swimming
    > Men's 4x100 Relay – Gold, National Record and Games Record
    > Men's 50M Breaststroke – Bronze
    Loh Zhi Zhi, Lee Kong Chian School of Business alumnus, Men’s Water Polo (Gold)
    Luo Yiwei, School of Economics alumnus, Cycling
    > (Track) Women's Omnium - Silver
    Mark Lee, Lee Kong Chian School of Business freshman, Diving
    > Men's 1m Springboard – Bronze
    > Men's Synchronised 3m Springboard – Silver
    Michelle Sng, Lee Kong Chian School of Business alumnus, Athletics
    > Women’s High Jump – Gold
    Myra Lee, School of Social Sciences undergrad, Diving
    > Women's Synchronised 10m Platform – Silver
    Nurul Sofia Atikah Bte Saban, School of Information Systems undergrad, Hockey
    > Women's Field Hockey – Bronze
    Parveen Nair, School of Social Sciences alumnus, Netball (Silver)
    Sabella Kee, School of Accountancy freshman, Waterski & Wakeboard
    > Women’s Tricks – Silver, National Record
    Samantha Teo Ming Li, Lee Kong Chian School of Business alumnus, Rugby 7s (Silver)
    Shanti Pereira, School of Accountancy freshman, Athletics
    > Women's 100m Finals – Bronze
    > Women's 200m Finals – Bronze
    > Women's 4x100M Relay Finals - National Record
    Sheryl Tan Hui Ning, School of Economics alumnus, Women’s Water Polo (Silver)
    Vera Tan Yan Ning, Lee Kong Chian School of Business freshman, Wushu
    Yip Yang, School of Social Sciences alumnus, Men’s Water Polo (Gold)

[​IMG]
    The next SEA Games will be held in the Philippines in 2019 and we look forward again to our athletes doing us proud.

[All images are courtesy of Team Singapore. Featured photo by Andrew JK Tan/Team Nila; Shanti and Sabelle's photos by Calvin Teoh/Sport Singapore; Mens Water Polo Team photo by Stanley Cheah/Sport Singapore]

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired

08 Sep 2017 08:02PM (Updated: 08 Sep 2017 08:10PM)

Singapore MMA fighter May Ooi strikes gold at Asian BJJ championship

[​IMG]
    Singapore mixed martial arts fighter May Ooi (centre) awarded the gold medal at the Asian Jiu-Jitsu Championship 2017 (Photo courtesy of May Ooi)

SINGAPORE: Local mixed martial arts (MMA) fighter May Ooi won a gold medal at Asia’s largest Brazilian jiu-jitsu (BJJ) tournament on Friday (Sep 8).

Competing at the Asian Championship sanctioned by the International BJJ Federation, 41-year-old Ooi topped a six-woman field in the blue-belt (one rank above novice white), Master (born in 1987 and before) and Light (64kg limit) category.

She pipped homeground Japanese fighters Yukari Sato and Miki Ishitsuka as well as Mongolia’s Sainjargal Batbaatar to second and joint-third place respectively.

Ooi was participating in her first BJJ competition, and grappling with heavier opponents having weighed in at just 58kg in the morning.

“I’m very excited to have won,” the former Olympic swimmer and trained doctor told Channel NewsAsia. “Plus, I was under a two-week medical suspension after ONE Championship, so I didn’t train for two weeks and just had this week to get back on the mats.”

This comes on the heels of Ooi’s stunning victory over Malaysia’s Ann Osman in her debut for the Asian MMA promotion ONE in mid-August. The Singaporean stormed back from a shaky start to sink in a rear-naked choke submission in their strawweight (56.7kg) bout which took place in Ann’s own Kuala Lumpur backyard.

“This (BJJ) win is awesome,” Ooi added. “It’s a nice little extra after I submitted Ann Osman. We’re on a roll."

5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    SEA Games performance bodes well for Singapore sports

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (From left) Singapore Sports Institute chief Toh Boon Yi, Sport Singapore chief executive officer Lim Teck Yin and Sport Singapore's head of high performance sport Richard Gordon at the media briefing yesterday. PHOTO:THE STRAITS TIMES

Top local sports officials impressed with the depth and breadth of Republic's athletes

Sazali Abdul Aziz
    Sports Correspondent
    Sep 13, 2017 06:00 am
    Team Singapore's performance at last month's SEA Games in Kuala Lumpur bodes well for the Republic at future major multi-sports Games.

That was the appraisal made by Sport Singapore chief executive officer Lim Teck Yin and Singapore Sports Institute chief Toh Boon Yi, at a media briefing yesterday when the national sports agency presented its detailed assessment of local athletes' performance in KL.

Team Singapore returned with 188 medals - 57 gold, 58 silver and 73 bronze - to record the best away showing at the SEA Games.

The haul placed Singapore fourth in the overall medal standings, although another gold medal would have seen it pip Vietnam (58-50-60) to third place.

Malaysia racked up 323 medals (145-92-86) to finish top, ahead of runners-up Thailand (72-86-88).

Said Lim: "It's obvious that our ambitions are higher than No. 4.

"As we progress from the SEA Games, I think the most important thing is to provide Singaporeans a way of following Team Singapore and understanding what progress and success look like."

Toh pointed to the depth and breadth of the performance of the Singapore contingent as being particularly impressive.

From of the 560-strong contingent, 303 athletes, or 54 per cent, were debutants.

These debutants delievered 71 (37.7 per cent) of Singapore's medals, indicating a healthy stream of young talent is being produced.

The statistics also indicated the support system in place for athetes was doing its job.

Only 43 (eight per cent) in the contingent were under the spexScholarship programme - a support scheme that provides elite-level athletes with stipends of between $1,200 and $8,400 monthly to cover training costs.

But they delivered 58 medals, 28 of which were gold.

"It’s not just one spurt or dash, but a long-term structured, scientific and persistent training programme, backed by good quality coaches and a supportive ecosystem - Minister for Culture, Community and Youth Grace Fu"

Moving forward, Toh said that more can be done to identify and groom talent, to supplement the spexScholarship programme.

"Our spexScholar system was created to optimise and maximise the potential talent... (and) it'll take them to continental level," he said.

"But the spexScholarship system is insufficient on its own to generate the conditions for talent to arise year in, year out.

"In today's system, the spexScholarship captures when talent arrives (at elite level) and supports them.

"But, for a more robust, matured system, the talent pipeline must always be there."

Toh added that one way to assess progress is to chart the share of medals gathered over several SEA Games, particularly "away" ones as home SEA Games traditionally see host nations boosted by home ground advantage.

Singapore's share from 2007 to 2013 ranged from seven to nine per cent, but shot up to 14.1 per cent in Kuala Lumpur.

A 15 per cent of the medals would usually be enough for a nation to be among the top performers at any particular SEA Games.

Minister for Culture, Community and Youth Grace Fu praised Team Singapore's "impressive performance" in KL, and said that many athletes she spoke to had already set their sights on performing at next year's Asian Games in Jakarta, or the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo.

"We are not not looking at them at just one Games but several, tracking and seeing how they are performing, if it is going as planned and so on," she said.

"And that's really about long-term development in high performance sports.

"It's not just one spurt or dash, but a long-term structured, scientific and persistent training programme, backed by good quality coaches and a supportive ecosystem."

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    F1: Singapore Grand Prix deal extended for another four years

[​IMG]
    TODAY file photo

Published: 3:30 PM, September 15, 2017
    Updated: 3:50 PM, September 15, 2017

SINGAPORE — The 10-year-old Singapore Grand Prix will continue for the next four years, Formula One, the Singapore Tourism Board and Singapore GP Pte Ltd, announced on Friday (Sept 15).

The new contract means that Singapore will be hosting its distinctive night race on a street circuit until 2021.

F1 chairman and chief executive officer Chase Carey said: “The Singapore Grand Prix is a signature Formula 1 race and therefore we are very pleased that it will continue to feature on the calendar for a further four years. The first ever night race in this sport is one of the most thrilling events of the year, taking place against the stunning backdrop of Marina Bay.

"The Singapore Grand Prix, the Singapore Tourism Board and the Singapore Government have all done an excellent job of making this an event that involves the whole city. We are looking forward to offering our continued support to make the next four years even more spectacular and exciting.”

Singaproe Minister for Trade and Industry (Industry) S Iswaran added: “The F1 Singapore Grand Prix has generated significant benefits for our economy as well as the Formula 1 franchise. With its global viewership and media coverage, the race has reinforced Singapore’s image as a vibrant and innovative city to a wide international audience. It has also created good opportunities for Singaporeans and the local business community.

"We look forward to the continued support of all Singaporeans as we work with Formula 1, Singapore GP, and all stakeholders, to ensure the F1 Singapore Grand Prix remains an event that we can all be proud of.”

The chairman of race organiser Singapore GP, Mr Ong Beng Seng, said: “Since 2008 we have enjoyed a close working relationship with Formula 1 and all of its key players. We believe this has been a beneficial partnership for all parties, for our city and for the sport, and we look forward to building on that foundation with F1’s new owners.”

And Singapore Tourism Board Chief Executive Lionel Yeo added that the race in Singapore has provided an excellent platform for businesses to test bed new lifestyle initiatives and products.

"This has not only created an exciting atmosphere during the race season, but also injected creative concepts and experiences that continue to attract tourists to Singapore all year round,” he said.

Talks to extend the night race have been on-going since last year. However, F1 chairman and chief executive officer Chase Carey stressed repeatedly at a conference in Singapore this week that he would like to see the race return to Singapore for the long-term beyond 2017.

“It’s our goal to try and reach a new deal that enables us to continue the partnership we’ve had in Singapore,” said the American who succeeded former F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone last year after Liberty Media’s US$8 billion (S$10.8 billion) takeover of the sport.

“We’re proud of the relationship we’ve had in Singapore, we’re proud of the race here, we have a good relationship with our partners and we’re actively engaged in trying to reach an agreement that works for the both of us.

“This is the marquee race and our goal is to renew the contract.”

Carey's wish finally came true on Friday.

The Singapore Grand Prix was first held in 2008. Minister for Trade and Industry (Industry) S Iswaran told Parliament in 2012 that it costs around S$150 million to organise each edition of the race, with the Government co-funding 60 per cent of approved costs.

Past reports have cited fees between US$44 million (S$59.2 million) and US$65 million for the franchise fee to host the race.

However, it was announced today that the cost of organising the race has come down to S$135 million per year. The Government will still pay 60 percent of the organising costs.

There were fears that the aullure of the Singapore Grand Prix was fading after ticket sales for last year's event fell. Its daily average attendance — 73,000 — slumped to the lowest in nine years, with the overall ticket take-up 15 per cent lower than the average attendance since 2008.

But Singapore GP and STB said on Friday that this year's race experienced "a year-to-date 19 percent increase in ticket sales, with the weekend sales still to be included."

The two organisations added that the race has "yielded significant economic benefits" in its first decade, attracting over 450,000 international visitors to Singapore and about S$1.4 billion in tourism receipts. "This event has also showcased Singapore as a beautiful, vibrant and attractive destination to over 780 million international broadcast viewers," said the release.

It remains to be seen though whether the Singapore Grand Prix will have a new title sponsor as Singapore Airlines' (SIA) deal with the race ends this year.

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Motor Racing
    Lewis Hamilton wins Singapore GP after rival Vettel crashes out

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The car of Ferrari's driver Kimi Raikkonen (right) veers off the track after a crash as Ferrari's other driver Sebastian Vettel leads during the Formula One Singapore Grand Prix in Singapore on September 17, 2017. Photo: Nuria Ling/TODAY

Published: 8:36 PM, September 17, 2017
    Updated: 10:18 PM, September 17, 2017

SINGAPORE – Lewis Hamilton took another step closer towards winning his fourth Formula One world title when he took advantage of a dramatic crash at the start of the race that took out closest rival Sebastian Vettel to win the Singapore Grand Prix for the third time in his career.

Hamilton looked as though he needed a miracle to win in the Republic after he qualified for the race in fifth spot on Saturday night and Vettel, a four-time winner in Singapore, took pole.

Vettel’s hopes of vaulting back into the overall Formula One world championship lead were wrecked by a first corner collision on the opening lap of the Singapore Grand Prix on Sunday (Sept 17).

[​IMG]
    The car of Ferrari's Finnish driver Kimi Raikkonen (right) is seen after a crash with Ferrari's other driver, Sebastian Vettel (centre) during the Formula One Singapore Grand Prix in Singapore on September 17, 2017. Photo: AFP

The German had started on pole position on a wet track but retired with a badly damaged car in an incident that also claimed Ferrari team mate Kimi Raikkonen and Red Bull's Max Verstappen.

Raikkonen ploughed into Red Bull's Max Verstappen on the first corner, taking both cars out of the race and also dealing a heavy hit to Fernando Alonso's McLaren.

Vettel, who had been looking to reclaim the world championship lead from Hamilton, spun further ahead and lost his front wing, a crash that also ended his race.

[​IMG]
    McLaren driver Fernando Alonso (left) goes airborne after colliding with Ferrari driver Kimi Raikkonen at the start of the Singapore Formula One Grand Prix on the Marina Bay City Circuit Singapore, Sept. 17, 2017. Photo: AP

"I think there was damage on the car already and then it didn't matter, to be honest," the German told Britain's Channel 4 television. "The cooler was damaged, massively bent, so we lost water pressure and had to stop anyway.

"Nothing we can do now. For sure, it's bitter but it's done," added the four times Singapore GP winner whose retirement ended a run of 18 successive points finishes.

Hamilton avoided the trouble and progressed from fifth on the grid to first, ahead of Red Bull's Daniel Ricciardo, as the cars race finally restarted after a safety car.

[​IMG]
    Marcus Ericsson's car stuck out facing the wrong way on the track.

McLaren's Fernando Alonso later had to retire as a result of that crash. Others drivers who had to retire from the race were Marcus Ericsson and Daniil Kvyat.

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner defended Verstappen, who had started on the front row with Raikkonen behind in fourth place. "He unfortunately ended up retiring as the result of somebody else's accident," he said.

"You saw Sebastian pull sharp left on him, he probably didn't know Kimi was to the left of him and he had absolutely nowhere to go and then got hit again unfortunately."

[​IMG]
    A rescue vehicle removes Red Bull driver Max Verstappen's car after a crash at the start of the Singapore Formula One Grand Prix on the Marina Bay City Circuit Singapore, Sunday, Sept. 17, 2017. Photo: AP

[​IMG]Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel walks by the pit building after retiring from the race. Photo: Reuters

Hamilton had been braced for Vettel to take back the championship lead but could now come away with a 28-point cushion instead.

"This race is all about getting the car home in one piece," Hamilton's race engineer told him over the team radio. "I realise that," responded the driver.

[​IMG]
    Lewis Hamilton's car - still in one piece. Photo: Reuters

The floodlit race has never been held in the wet, and Haas driver Romain Grosjean earlier expressed concerns about visibility through spray on the narrow street track.

"I've got no idea -– and that is the concern I've always had with this race," Romain Grosjean told Autosport.com earlier, when asked if it would be safe to race in the rain.

[​IMG]
    Torro Rosso's Spanish driver Carlos Sainz Jr kicks up spray during the Singapore Grand Prix on Sept 17, 2017. Photo: AFP

"With the lights high up, if the spray goes up we may not see much. But let's see. I don't know how it is going to work." AGENCIES

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired

Lewis Hamilton wins title on dramatic, rain-drenched night at the Singapore Grand Prix

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Lewis Hamilton celebrates his win at the Singapore Grand Prix on Sunday, Sept 17, 2017. Photo: AFP

By
    Low Lin Fhoong
    linfhoong@mediacorp.com.sg -
    Published: 10:27 PM, September 17, 2017

SINGAPORE – Two-time world champion Lewis Hamilton won his third title at the Formula 1 Singapore Airlines Singapore Grand Prix on Sunday (Sept 17), after the Mercedes driver capitalised on a dramatic opening lap crash on Turn 1 which took out three frontrunners – Ferrari’s pole-sitter Sebastian Vettel, Red Bull’s Max Verstappen and Kimi Raikkonen (Ferrari) – to clinch victory at the Marina Bay Street Circuit.

With Red Bull’s Daniel Ricciardo in hot pursuit, the Briton turned on the heat on the wet track, leading the pack from the start to finish on an incident-filled night at the Marina Bay street circuit that saw eight retirements – the highest in the 2017 season to date - and three safety car periods.

A delighted Hamilton said after crossing the finish line: “What can I say? What a turnaround today. We did a fantastic job in strategy, what a great day!”

The opening lap crash also ended Vettel’s hopes of leapfrogging world championship leader Hamilton, as the German was forced to retire seconds after the incident, leaving his Mercedes rival to claim the race lead – and his third Singapore title – from fifth place on the grid.

Hamilton, seeking his fourth F1 title, also now has a commanding 28-point lead over Vettel, with six races left to the season.

Vettel, who had engineered a come-from-behind win at Saturday’s qualifying to claim pole, could hardly contain his disappointment after wasting a precious opportunity on a twisty, 23-turn track suited to his Ferrari SF70H.

“Not ideal is it?” he said. “I didn’t see that much, I saw Max (Verstappen) and then next thing I see is Max and Kimi hitting me somewhere. It doesn’t change much, obviously we’re not in the race and can’t show the pace we have.”

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Fans, drivers and team officials cheer Singapore Grand Prix renewal

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lewis Hamilton leaps for joy after he wins the 2017 edition of the Singapore Grand Prix. Photo: AP

By
    Noah Tan
    noahtanyw@mediacorp.com.sg -
    Published: 11:39 PM, September 17, 2017
    Updated: 12:22 PM, September 18, 2017

SINGAPORE — As the 10th edition of the Singapore Grand Prix (GP) came to a close on Sunday night (Sept 17) against the backdrop of rain, dramatic crashes and an unexpected, but ultimately comfortable, victory for Mercedes’ Lewis Hamilton, fans and drivers TODAY spoke to said they were looking forward to another four years of racing at the Marina Bay Street Circuit.

The race was officially renewed for another four years until 2021, according to a joint announcement by Formula One, Singapore Tourism Board (STB) and Singapore GP Pte Ltd last Friday.

RelatedNews
    Sports
    Lewis Hamilton wins title on dramatic, rain-drenched night at the Singapore Grand Prix
    September 17
    Sports
    Opening drama at Singapore GP sees Vettel crashing out
    September 17

There were initial fears that the Singapore GP’s allure was fading after last year’s daily average attendance of 73,000 was the lowest in nine years. However, appetite for the only night race in the F1 calendar appears to have been reignited this year.

Singapore GP Pte Ltd announced on Sunday that the overall attendance this year was 260,400, which represents an approximate 19 per cent increase in ticket sales from last year, and is higher than the average overall attendance in the event’s history.

Said Singapore GP Pte Ltd executive director Michael Roche: “This is a very positive sign for the years to come. Our aim, as always, is to improve the event both on and off the track to keep people coming back and to attract even more visitors to Singapore.”

F1 motor sports director Ross Brawn said the encouraging attendance figures prove it was the right decision to renew the Singapore GP.

“I have always enjoyed Singapore. This event was a game-changer in many ways,” said the former team principal with Mercedes and Ferrari. “The races here have always been entertaining, and we are enjoying a fantastic championship this year with the top teams in contention for the title.

“Singapore is an iconic race and I’m delighted both with the renewal and with the extremely strong attendance figures, which underline the enduring enthusiasm for this great event.”

Racegoers also expressed their delight. Mr Daniel Teo, 35, who attended this year’s race with his girlfriend, said: “I’m a huge F1 fan, and I was afraid that the race would not be renewed because of reports of its declining popularity.

“Since the Malaysian GP will not be renewed, the Singapore GP is the best and most affordable option for us to catch the races live. If not, I’ll have to spend a lot of money to travel overseas to catch an F1 race.”

Local footballer Fabian Kwok agreed, and added that the concerts which accompany the race are usually a huge draw for Singaporeans.

“I thought it (the renewal) was good news. This annual event, I feel, really puts Singapore onto the world map,” the 28-year-old said.

“For the locals, the race may get a little boring after a few years since there aren’t any local representatives in it. However, to me, the concerts after make up for it. Fans from all over still seem to come here so I don’t doubt that F1 in Singapore increases tourism.”

Mr Gao Te, who flew in from China for the Singapore GP, said the race is his favourite because of its unpredictability. “Interesting things are always happening here ... from track invaders, to crashes, to incredible displays of driving,” the Beijing native, 45, said.

“Singapore is a wonderful place to visit, there are many attractions here, and the race is held in the city centre where it’s convenient and accessible. So it’s easy to explore the country and enjoy myself here.”
    Drivers TODAY spoke to also said they were pleased that the Singapore GP would be extended.

Said Red Bull driver Daniel Ricciardo, who finished second in yesterday’s race: “I would have been upset if the race wasn’t renewed. For me, it has a real strong place in our calendar.

“My first race here in 2011 was the most physical and unpleasant thing I’ve ever done, but I’ve learnt from that, and every year I come back I’ve really enjoyed the crunch. I’ve had great memories here.”

Three-time F1 champion Hamilton, who took the chequered flag yesterday, added: “It’s incredibly challenging because it’s a night race, the track is so long, there are 23, 24 corners.

“It’s the most physically and mentally demanding circuit we get to race on, we lose the most weight here. Plus it’s a great spectacle from the sky at night when it’s lit up.”

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    asean para games

Theresa Goh hits 30-gold milestone at Asean Para Games

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Theresa Goh in action in the Women's 100 LC Meter Breaststroke Finals at the 2017 Asean Para Games. Photo: Sanketa Anand/Sport Singapore
    Singapore’s most bemedalled athlete at the Games has competed in all nine editions
    By
    Raymond Tham
    raymondmarkt@mediacorp.com.sg -
    Published: 7:53 PM, September 20, 2017
    Updated: 11:46 PM, September 20, 2017

SINGAPORE — Not many athletes in Singapore have had as long or as storied a career as Theresa Goh.

At the tender age of 12, Goh, who has spina bifida and does not have use of her legs, began swimming competitively. By the time she was 14, she was the top para swimmer in South-east Asia after winning six gold medals at the inaugural Asean Para Games (APG) in Kuala Lumpur.

Making her return to the city of her first-ever APG triumph 16 years ago, Goh had little to prove at this year’s Games. But the 30-year-old admitted that she was still nervous before Wednesday’s SB4 100m breaststroke final, which she won in 2min 4.16s to hit an all-time milestone of 30 APG golds.

“It’s always good to win a gold, and it’s my 30th of my APG career, so that’s like a cherry on top,” she said.
    “Thirtieth gold for the 30-year-old ... Not a particular one means more than the other; they all add up and brought me to where I am today.”

Although she was pleased with her win, Goh said that she had hoped to go faster.

As Singapore’s most bemedalled and longest-serving athlete at the biennial Games, the Public Service Star winner — who has competed in all nine APGs — is a role model for her team-mates.

It is a role she relishes, as Goh added: “I’m just glad that I can be there for my team-mates when they need it ... Whether it’s their first, second or third APG, races sometimes don’t go the way you plan. So I’m there for them as their support when they’re down, and will cheer for them when they’re happy.”

Goh is also aiming to make a difference beyond Singapore, as she is bidding for a spot on the World Para Swimming Athlete Advisory Group, which represents para swimmers in issues such as equal gender representation, promoting a healthy image and fair play, as well as fostering the growth and development of the sport. Only five out of 11 candidates will be chosen, and elections will be held at the World Para Swimming Championships at the end of the month.

“I thought it was a good time to take up a bit more responsibility,” Goh told TODAY. “I usually shy away from this kind of responsibility ... but this will give me more opportunities to step out of my comfort zone.”

The fourth day of APG competition in Kuala Lumpur saw Team Singapore’s athletes winning three gold medals in swimming, bowling and cycling to take the overall tally to six.

Bowler Muhammad Farhan Ismail clinched gold on Wednesday in the men’s TPB4 singles, while visually-impaired cyclist Emily Lee and pilot Sarah Tan — an able-bodied athlete who also competed at the SEA Games last month — took the top spot in the women’s 12.3km individual time trial.

This is the first time that cycling is being contested at the Games, and Lee, who had earlier won two silvers and another bronze, said:
    “I feel happy today because I wanted to win a gold for Singapore and hear our national anthem play at the victory ceremony. It was an honour to have been able to do that for Singapore.

“The first medal I won on Sunday encouraged me — it gave me more confidence and made me want to work hard and win a gold.” ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY NOAH TAN

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    New sports fund a shot in the arm for national athletes

[​IMG]
    Vivian Rhamanan won gold at the 2017 SEA Games in the Men's Jumbo doubles event. Photo: Knight Ong/Sport Singapore

One Team Singapore Fund could give elite athletes a boost as they aim for success at SEA, Asian and Olympic Games
    By
    Low Lin Fhoong
    Published: 12:45 PM, October 4, 2017
    Updated: 7:06 PM, October 4, 2017

SINGAPORE — Ahead of the Kuala Lumpur SEA Games in August, national squash player Vivian Rhamanan had to fork out some S$18,000 from his own pocket to train full-time and travel to compete in overseas competitions.

With a house on the way, finances are tight for the father of two young children as he is not eligible for Sport Singapore’s Spex GLOW scheme that provides grants to national athletes for loss of wages.

RelatedNews
    Singapore
    One Team Singapore Fund kicks off with S$500,000 donation for elite athletes
    October 3

Things could change for the 31-year-old, who won two gold medals at the recent SEA Games in the men’s team and jumbo doubles, with the launch of the One Team Singapore Fund on Tuesday (Oct 3).

Under the initiative, elite athletes could get a S$100 million boost in funding, with the Government to match donations of up to S$50 million from Singaporeans and corporate firms from 2017 to 2022.

The money will go toward the High Performance Sports (HPS) system for national athletes, which includes competition opportunities, coach development, sports science and medicine, and more. National sports associations (NSAs) will also be able to apply for matching grants for donations they receive through this fund.

The fund will be a boost for athletes like Rhamanan, who turned professional in 2015, as he aims for glory beyond the region.

“It’s really been a struggle to train and support my family at the same time…It’s tough to survive in Singapore with a new house on the way and paying for my kids’ education, so there’ll be sacrifices one way or another,” he told TODAY.

“Despite all the struggles, it was all worth it to be at the SEA Games to win with the team, to win for Singapore... I really hope that we get more funding so that our team can move forward and achieve higher goals,” he added.

“We have the Asian Games next year and if we get the proper funding, who knows what we can achieve? The SEA Games is the first step, and we can develop further to succeed at a higher level.”

National sprinter and hurdler Dipna Lim-Prasad, who won two silver medals at the SEA Games in the women’s 400m and 400m hurdles, is hopeful that the fund will provide national athletes – particularly those like her who are not Spex Scholars – with sustained funding throughout the year.

“The existing support now is very campaign based, like the Final Push (funding for SEA Games) but it is very disruptive,” said Lim-Prasad, who broke Chee Swee Lee’s 43-year-old national record after clocking 54.18sec in the 400m final at the SEA Games.

While she is partially funded by Sport Singapore’s Spex Athlete, Career, Training programme, she has had to fork out her own money at times to travel overseas for competitions.

She added: “Right now, I’m not getting any funding. I’m lucky that I’m about to afford this (training and competition expenses) on my own, but not everyone can.

“I hope this fund will allow for continuity as it’s been very sporadic. Knowing your budget for training is important, because you will scale back your plans if there is no funding. Sports is something where all the work you do is not just in the months before, but the most important work is done in the off season, and that’s where support is needed.”

Para athletes will also be able to benefit from the One Team Singapore Fund as they aim for glory at the Asean Para Games, Asian Para Games and Paralympics.

Jason Chee, who lost three limbs and three fingers in a ship accident in 2012 and his right eye to cancer in May, believes that the fund will be a huge boost as he targets a spot at the Paralympic Games in Tokyo in 2020.

Chee, who won a men’s singles gold at the Asean Para Games in Kuala Lumpur, said: “My long term goal is the Tokyo 2020 Paralympics, but I have to upgrade myself to the next level slowly.

“How I can improve to the next level is with support from the Singapore Sports Institute (SSI), through nutrition, sports psychology, they all play a part to develop me. This fund will benefit the Team Singapore athletes to reach the Asian and world level.”

National para archer and Paralympian Nur Syahidah Alim, who won gold in the women’s individual compound in Kuala Lumpur, is hopeful that the fund will help athletes to get more competition exposure.

“Para sports have a limited number of competitions…sometimes we are unable to go to para championships or able-bodied championships because they can be very expensive,” she said.

“There is also the factor of sustainability to allow para athletes to continue training. Some of the athletes are not as lucky as I am because I am a Spex Scholar. Some of my friends do not have the support financially and they can’t afford to buy equipment.”

Mr Kevin Wong, president of the Singapore Disability Sports Council (SDSC) was also delighted to hear about the One Team Singapore Fund. Earlier this year, the SDSC had unveiled an ambitious S$20 million, four-year plan to develop disability sports and its athletes.

The SDSC is set to benefit from the matching grant if it is able to raise money from individual and corporate donors, and Wong said: “I’m glad that the Government and Sport Singapore heard our feedback (when it was first announced in March) that this could cannibalise our sponsorship.

“I’m glad we have the opportunity to raise much needed funds, and this will help out high performance athletes and top up on campaign funding for major Games. Every donor wants the maximum potential from their funding, and knowing that what they give will have a matching grant from the Government, that lends credibility to our programmes and there is an incentive to give more money.”
    ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY RAYMOND THAM

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Team Singapore athletes reap S$670,000 windfall from SEA Games

[​IMG]
    (Centre) Joseph Schooling’s mother, May Schooling, reacts to a video of the SEA Games during the SEA Games Multi-million Dollar Awards Programme Awards Presentation & Appreciation Dinner on Oct 5, 2017. Photo by Najeer Yusof/TODAY

National swimmers Joseph Schooling and Quah Zheng Wen the top earners, pocketing S$31,250 each
    By
    Low Lin Fhoong
    Published: 7:15 PM, October 5, 2017
    Updated: 12:14 AM, October 6, 2017

SINGAPORE –Team Singapore’s athletes collected a windfall of S$670,000 on Thursday (Oct 5) for their record-setting performance at the recent SEA Games in Kuala Lumpur.

National swimmers Joseph Schooling and Quah Zheng Wen were the top earners among the 101 gold medalists, pocketing S$31,250 each for their six gold medals (three individual titles, three relay golds).

The three Quah siblings were also big winners at the Singapore National Olympic Council (SNOC) 29th SEA Games Multi-Million Dollar Awards Programme (MAP) presentation and Team Singapore Appreciation Dinner on Thursday.

Quah Ting Wen and Quah Jing Wen – the elder and younger sisters, respectively, of Quah Zheng Wen – were third on the list with an award of S$26,250 each. Three of the top earners – Schooling, Quah Zheng Wen and Quah Jing Wen – were unable to attend the ceremony as they are currently studying in the United States.

Collecting the cheques on behalf of her siblings, Quah Ting Wen – who has been training full-time since July 2014 – said on Thursday: “It’s definitely nice to see my achievements recognised, and this is definitely a bonus. It’s very satisfying after a hard day’s work to see rewards.”

The MAP awards was also icing on the cake for the 25-year-old swimmer, who won two individual and three relay golds after enduring an injury-plagued season last year.

She added: “It was tough for me physically, mentally and emotionally. After (what happened) last year, there were questions if I would continue swimming, but I don’t think I’m done with the sport yet. I’m going to take it year by year, and aim for the Commonwealth and Asian Games next year.”

The Singapore Swimming Association (SSA) emerged as the biggest winners among the sports on Thursday night, banking in a total of S$52,000 – 20 per cent of winnings from its athletes – from its 23 gold medals in swimming, synchronised swimming, and men’s waterpolo.

Under MAP, individual gold medallists at the SEA Games are rewarded for up to a maximum of three gold medals, with S$10,000 handed out for the first gold, and S$5,000 each for the second and third gold medals.

Winners in team events will get S$15,000, and team sports will receive S$30,000. It is compulsory for all winners to contribute 20 per cent of their SEA Games MAP awards to their respective national sports associations for training and development.

Marathoner Soh Rui Yong, who successfully defended his men’s gold in Putrajaya, was also present at the ceremony on Thursday. Ahead of the MAP awards, the 26-year-old had lodged a protest against with the SNOC and Singapore Sports Institute (SSI), expressing his unhappiness that 20 per cent of his winnings will be given to Singapore Athletics (SA). Soh cited infighting, poor management and a lack of support from SA as reasons for his protest.

The protest subsequently drew criticism – as well as support – from members of the sports fraternity, including International Olympic Committee (IOC) member Ng Ser Miang. While Mr Ng did not address Soh and the debate directly, he said in a Facebook post that it was “an honour and privilege and not a birth right to fly the flag of Singapore”.

While Soh stated on Thursday that he would be contributing 20 per cent of his winnings of S$2,000 under protest, he said: “My issue is not with the SNOC rule, I was challenging logic. Good NSAs like swimming, bowling and netball, when their athletes perform well, they get 20 per cent, and for poorly performing NSAs like athletics, they also get 20 per cent. Where is the incentive for good NSAs to continue being good, and how can that get the poor NSAs to buck up?”

Despite coming under fire, Soh also stressed that he did not regret speaking up, as he added: “The culture in Singapore is such that people are brought up not to speak up, so when one guy speaks up, they don’t know how to deal with it. Society needs to be more mature in dealing with different points of views, and embrace it.”

Soh will also be putting his winnings into a charitable cause, as he plans to set aside 25 to 50 per cent of his award for the Team Tze Char Foundation, an initiative set up by Soh and his friends to provide running shoes to underprivileged student-athletes.

Held in Kuala Lumpur from Aug 19 to 30, the 29th SEA Games saw a total of 560 athletes – the largest away contingent for Singapore – competing in 35 out of 38 sports, with Team Singapore’s athletes also claiming 15 Games records, 13 national records and 27 personal best performances.

Singapore’s medal haul of 57-58-73 was a record for an away Games by the Republic, exceeding the previous best of 43-43-41 at the Korat Games in 2007.

Crediting the athletes for a successful outing in Malaysia, SNOC president and Speaker of Parliament Tan Chuan-Jin also singled out some athletes for special mention. They included swimmer Roanne Ho, who bounced back from two major surgeries for a collapsed lung and a shoulder tear to clinch gold in the women’s 50m breaststroke, and the men’s golf team, who ended a 28-year-old title drought when they defeated Thailand in a sudden-death playoff in the final.

Guest-of-honour Mr Tan also presented personalised congratulatory cards to the medallists at the event on Thursday, as Ms Grace Fu, Minister for Culture, Community and Youth, and chef de mission Milan Kwee joined him on stage.

“We witnessed many celebratory moments in Kuala Lumpur. Some were especially poignant and reflected not just the results of our athletes, but also of the journeys they took to come this far,” said Mr Tan, who also thanked the team managers, coaches and officials for their efforts.

“Behind every record, medal, score and athlete, there is also a tribe of family, friends and strangers who support and cheer our athletes and officials on. Many thanks to all of you – families, friends and employers who are part of the Singapore sporting journey.”

Top 10 earners:

1 – Joseph Schooling, Quah Zheng Wen (swimming), S$31,250

3 – Quah Ting Wen, Quah Jing Wen (swimming), S$26,250

5 – Feng Tianwei (table tennis), S$20,500

6 – Debbie Soh (synchronised swimming), S$19,166

7 – Gao Ning (table tennis), S$17,500

8 – Ryan Lo (sailing), Sasha Christian (wakeboard and waterski), Jowen Lim (wushu), S$15,000

*All winners have to contribute 20 per cent of their winnings to their respective national sports associations

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore fencers win historic silver at Junior World Cup

[​IMG];
    The silver medal finish for 17-year-olds Darren Tan, Yeo Jing Zhe and Jonathan Au Eong represents the Republic’s all-time best showing on the prestigious circuit for any weapon. Photo: Yeo Siew Wan

Published: 7:04 PM, October 8, 2017
    Updated: 7:21 PM, October 8, 2017

SINGAPORE — Singapore’s fencers broke through for their first-ever podium at the Junior World Cup (JWC) circuit after the Men’s Foil Team finished runner-up to France in Bangkok on Sunday (Oct 8).

The silver medal finish for 17-year-olds Jonathan Au Eong, Darren Tan and Yeo Jing Zhe, represents the Republic’s all-time best showing on the prestigious circuit for any weapon.

The team started their day with a 45-34 win over the Netherlands in the quarter-finals before coming from behind to dispatch the USA 45-41 in the semi-finals.

A slow start in the final against France cost the team as they went on to lose 45-38.

Singapore’s previous best result was a fourth place in 2015, also achieved by the Men’s Foil Team in Bangkok.

Singapore also achieved its best individual men’s result in Bangkok at the weekend when 15-year-old Kieren Lock reached the Round of 16 before losing 15-11 to American Marcello Olivares.

Kieren’s 11th place finish comes two weeks after Kevin Chan achieved the previous best of 12th place in the opening leg of the JWC in London.

The busy weekend for Singapore’s fencers also saw sabre fencer Lau Ywen winning in Hong Kong at the LCSD Fencing Championships, which is a senior event.

Ywen, a gold medallist at the recent SEA Games, beat Hong Kong’s two-time Olympian and Asian Games silver medallist Au Sing Ying 15-13 in the semi-final before defeating another Hong Kong fencer Lam Hin Wai in the final, also by 15-13.

The Hong Kong event also saw Maxine Wong finishing runner-up in Women’s Foil and Cheryl Lim winning bronze in Women’s Epee

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singaporean indoor skydiver Kyra Poh retains world championship title

The 15-year-old secured the junior freestyle gold medal at the 2017 world championships with a score of 64.1 in the seven round event.
    [​IMG]
    Singapore's Kyra Poh at the 2017 World Championships. (Photo: SkyVenture Montreal)
    By Noor Farhan@NoorFarhanCNA

23 Oct 2017 07:52AM (Updated: 23 Oct 2017 09:47AM)
    SINGAPORE: After last year’s exploits in the World Championships in Poland, Singapore's young indoor skydivers Team Firefly were at it again.
    • There was joy once more for defending world champion Kyra Poh, as she retained her junior freestyle title at this year’s Federation Aeronautique International (FAI) World Indoor Skydiving Championship 2017 in Laval, Canada on Sunday (Oct 22).

The 15-year-old emerged victorious with a score of 64.1 over the seven round event, beating silver medalist Kayleigh Wittenburg of the United States by 0.9 points.

• [​IMG]
      A spectator looks on as Kyra Poh performs her junior freestyle routine. (Photo: SkyVenture Montreal)

• For Poh, it capped a stellar year as she clinched four gold medals at the Australian Indoor Skydiving Championships 2017 in August.

• two gold medals at the 2017 Wind Games in Spain.

• ANOTHER PODIUM FINISH IN CANADA

• The School of the Arts Singapore (SOTA) student also won silver in the dynamic 2-way artistic category in the 2017 World Championships, after linking up with her training partner Choo Yi Xuan .

• The duo were the only female pairing among the 22 participating teams, as they competed in the open category despite being eligible for the junior category.

• The result was an improvement over last year’s outcome in Poland, where the pair finished fourth in the dynamic 2-way event.

• The FAI World Indoor Skydiving Championship sees competitors perform a set routine in a wind tunnel at speeds of up to 300km/h.

• Events are judged either based on speed, or artistic merit. The freestyle disciplines sees participants perform a routine in coordination to music of their choice.

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    S’pore bowlers claim girls’ team gold at Asian Youth Tenpin Bowling C’ships

[​IMG]
    (From left) Singapore youth bowlers Jermaine Seah, Charlene Lim, Illiya Syamim, Amabel Chua celebrating their team gold medal at the Asian Youth Tenpin Bowling Championships in Manila. Photo: Singapore Bowling Federation.

By
    Low Lin Fhoong
    Published: 10:50 PM, October 26, 2017

SINGAPORE — Trailing rivals Malaysia after the fifth and penultimate game, Team Singapore’s youth bowlers had looked on track for a silver in the girls’ team event at the Asian Youth Tenpin Bowling Championships in Manila on Thursday (Oct 26).

But a late push from Iliya Syamin Muhd Azni, Amabel Chua, Jermaine Seah and Charlene Lim saw the quartet leapfrogging the leaders in the final few frames of the sixth game, as the Singaporeans claimed gold with their total of 4,745 pinfalls.

Malaysia eventually settled for silver with their score of 4,687, while Japan claimed the bronze in 4,660.

Victory at the Coronado Lanes in Manila was particularly sweet for Team Singapore, as the team gold was a first for the Republic’s female bowlers at the tournament since 2010.

“We were so happy that we were almost in tears…I’m quite surprised that we won because we didn’t know that we had a chance to win gold,” said Ngee Ann Polytechnic student Amabel, 17.

“We had fun, and we motivated each other to do well, and made every shot like our last shot. We were a bit nervous in the last few frames but we just cheered each other on.”

Debutant Jermaine was delighted to win the team gold after claiming a silver in the doubles with Charlene earlier this week.

“This is my first time at a major championship and I didn’t really feel any pressure,” said the 17-year-old, who also studies at Ngee Ann Polytechnic.

“The team really helped me a lot, and helped me calm my nerves. It was super surreal when we went onto the podium and the feeling was unbelievable.”

Amabel and Charlene will contest the girls’ masters event on Friday after qualifying in sixth and 11th position with their respective scores of 3,584 and 3,533.

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    SEA Games
    S'pore sets to add 58th gold medal to KL SEA Games tally after M'sian diver fails doping test

[​IMG]
    Malaysian diver Wendy Ng Yan Yee in action at Rio Olympics 2016. Ng has been revealed as the national diver who failed a doping test at the Kuala Lumpur Sea Games. NST file photo

Republic will edge Vietnam to third position on SEA Games medal table
    Published: 3:37 PM, October 26, 2017
    Updated: 10:43 PM, October 26, 2017

KUALA LUMPUR — Nearly two months after the close of the 29th South-east Asian Games, Singapore has added a gold medal to its haul after a Malaysian diver was found to have failed a doping test.

The Amateur Swimming Union of Malaysia (Asum) confirmed on Thursday (Oct 26) that 24-year-old Wendy Ng Yan Yee failed a doping test at the recent Kuala Lumpur SEA Games.

Ng's B sample had also tested positive for the banned substance sibutramine, an appetite suppressant commonly found in weight loss supplements.

She will be stripped of the gold medals she won in the women's 3m springboard individual, and 3m springboard synchronised event (with Nur Dhabitah Sabri) during the 29th SEA Games.

The disqualification in the latter event means that Singapore's Ashlee Tan and Fong Kay Yian will be awarded the gold medal.

[​IMG]

Fong Kay Yian (L) and Ashlee Tan Yi Xuan (R) of Singapore. AFP file photo

This will take the Republic's gold medal tally to 58, and edge Vietnam to the third spot on the medal table tally. The Singapore contingent had its best-ever away Games performance in KL.

Ng's compatriot, Nur Dhabitah Sabri, will take the gold in the women's 3m springboard individual event.

With one less gold medal, Malaysia will still maintain its position atop the medal tally.

Ng will face a maximum ban of two years by the World Anti-Doping Agency, though sibutramine is not considered a performance enhancer.

Both Asum and Ng have declined comment on the matter.

Ng is, however, likely to face a hearing which will determine the length of her suspension. AGENCIES

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Fencer Amita wins S’pore’s first-ever Junior World Cup medal

By Raymond Tham

[​IMG]
    Amita Berthier (left) with the other medallists at the Guatemala Junior World Cup. Photo: Fencing Singapore

Published20 November, 2017
    Updated 20 November, 2017
    SINGAPORE — After claiming the SEA Games gold in the women’s foil in Kuala Lumpur, up-and-coming young fencer Amita Berthier continued her winning run on the piste on Monday morning (Nov 20), as the 16-year-old won a silver medal at the Guatemala Junior World Cup to become the first Singaporean to win an individual medal at the junior fencing series.

Up against young fencers from more than 10 countries, the national fencer was unbeatable in the poules (pool), topping her group before sweeping past three rivals in the knock-out stages to qualify for the final. But the teenager could not get past the final hurdle against 19-year-old Lydia Casillas of Mexico, losing the bout 11-15 to her older opponent.

Although she was pipped to the gold, Amita said she was satisfied with her progress as she had finished sixth last year after losing an elimination bout to Casillas.

“I’m pleased with this result, and it’s going to motivate me to work even harder and to stay focused on my goals,” said Amita.

“I love the exhilaration of standing on the podium, it never ceases to surprise me every time I find myself there. The challenge of facing fencers with different styles is what I look forward to every time. It gives me the opportunity to keep improving my skill sets for the tournaments ahead.”

Amita’s historic medal in Guatemala is the latest achievement in what has been a standout 2017 season for the promising young athlete. In April, Amita won bronze in the cadet women’s foil event at the World Junior and Cadet Championships, becoming the second Singaporean to win a medal in the world’s top youth fencing tournament. Three months later, the 16-year-old made her mark on the senior stage, as she progressed to the last-32 of the World Fencing Championships in a best-ever performance by a Singaporean fencer. Her excellent run of form continued into the SEA Games in Kuala Lumpur, where she won gold in the women’s foil.

Since making the move to Boston in October 2016 to train with former Singapore Sports School coach Ralf Bissdorf at the Marx Fencing Academy, Amita has notched signficant results on the regional and international stage. As a result, Amita’s world ranking has risen from world No 275 to No 83 in the span of a year.

After winning a silver in Guatemala, Amita is also projected to rise to her highest-ever world junior ranking of 12th. In September this year, Amita became the first Singaporean to break into the top 15 of the junior world rankings. She started the year at 33rd.

“Amita has added another great result to what is already an exceptional year,” said Bissdorf.

“The competition here in Guatemala is smaller than the World Cups in Europe but the best fencers from Central and South America are here. As they don’t travel to Europe often, they fight extra hard here.
“Last year Amita finished sixth and this year she has achieved her first Top 4 in a Junior World Cup. This is good progress and we continue to stay ahead of the curve in her quest to become a world class fencer.”

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    How a national tragedy sparked the rise of dragonboating in Singapore

The success of the sport at mass participation and high performance levels can in part be traced to a decade-old incident, which saw 5 paddlers die while representing Singapore.

[​IMG]

Dragonboats racing at the 2016 DBS Marina Regatta's Corporate Open Final in Singapore (Photo courtesy of DBS)

By Justin Ong @JustinOngCNA
    21 Nov 2017 07:00AM (Updated: 21 Nov 2017 11:33AM)

It is something of a secret to newer dragonboaters in Singapore: A rarely mentioned incident that thrust the sport into the public eye for the first time in its 30-odd-year history, and shook the entire nation, says Gavin Chian.

He was part of the national dragonboat team in 2007, when five of its members drowned during a competition in Cambodia.

Chian did not travel to Phnom Penh for the race, but clearly remembers the paranoia, misconceptions and negativity stirred up in the immediate aftermath of the tragedy.

Yet skip 10 years ahead and he - along with dozens of other athletes, coaches and officials - agree that the deaths ultimately played a part in shaping the local dragonboat scene.

Today, the sport is thriving with climbing mass participation rates and growing success in elite competition globally.

“The event helped trigger some shaking up of the whole ecosystem,” said Bryan Kieu, current coach of the women’s national team and a former national paddler who started in 2000. “Attention, resources and energy were pooled to make things happen.

The driving forces at the beginning were surviving members of the crew in Cambodia, who either continued as athletes or left previous professions to become coaches. Crucially, some later joined the governing Singapore Dragon Boat Association (SDBA) to take on important management roles.

“They wanted to strive for better results, for our late teammates,” said Andrew Ng, who was part of the national setup in 2007, and continues to paddle today. “And for all the goals set together with them, which had not yet been achieved.”

[​IMG]
    The Singapore men's dragonboat team celebrating a historic bronze medal at the 2015 SEA Games - their first podium finish since 1993 (Photo: Sport Singapore / Action Images)

“DO THINGS MORE SERIOUSLY”
    In 2009, the men’s national team took part in the world championships for the first time. This was an important moment in the renaissance of the sport in Singapore, but Adrian Low - a member of the squad then - remembers how the trip to Prague was financed by the paddlers themselves, as they pushed to reach higher goals in the wake of the tragedy.

“There was much willingness and determination. The team persisted in going regardless of the financial difficulties,” said the 39-year-old veteran of the sport, who was also part of the ill-fated 2007 crew in Cambodia.

Since then, national teams, both male and female, have gone on to make their debut at the 2010 Asian Games, win medals at the Asian Championships in the same year as well as in 2012 and 2016, and secure a handful of bronze medals at the 2013 and 2015 Southeast Asian (SEA) Games.

The latter feats were especially noteworthy given the quality of the regional competition, with the Philippines and Indonesia often emerging as world champions.

[​IMG]
    The Singapore women's dragonboat team pose for photos with Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong after winning a bronze medal at the 2015 SEA Games (Photo: Sport Singapore / Action Images)

“Every year, our performances tend to close in on the stronger nations,” said Kieu, who previously coached the men’s national team as well.

These major achievements can be traced to how the community was “determined to do it right, and move forward on a fresh note” in the months after the Cambodia tragedy, he recounted.

When a recruitment drive was held in 2008 to rebuild the national team, hundreds turned up, to everyone’s surprise. “We weren’t expecting that number. We ended up doing the testing and selection over a few days,” said a former official, who declined to be named.

“Some said they were there because of the five, that they wanted to chip in and help out.”
    Said dragonboat coach Ng Kim Hwa: “Many looked to the five paddlers as national heroes - many aspired to have their discipline, dedication and physique.”

In the years that followed, SDBA put in a conscious effort to “do things more seriously” on the national team front, said the official.

Squads were only allowed to compete at overseas races sanctioned by international or Asian governing bodies. SDBA also increased the number of coaching and steering courses, and funds were spent on hiring foreign technical expertise.

“Both ground-up and top-down, there have been significant improvements in every area,” said Chian, who now coaches while co-owning a dragonboat events company.

[​IMG]
    Employees from Volvo participating in a team-bonding dragonboat session (Photo courtesy of DBI)

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    “MORE PADDLES THAN RACKETS”

Chian’s business, Dragon Boat Innovate (DBI), has also seen a surge in requests from local corporate groups in recent times. “At last count, we engaged more than 70,000 participants over the past six years,” said the 30-year-old, who acknowledged that his career choice had been influenced by his stint with the national team.

Anecdotal evidence also points to the growing popularity of the sport. As coach Ng described: “If you take the MRT, you will see more people carrying dragonboat paddles than, say, badminton or tennis rackets.”

“In the past, the main events were the Singapore Dragon Boat Festival, Singapore River Regatta,” he added. “Today, we also have the DBS Marina Regatta (DBSMR), PA Paddlefest, Jurong Island Race, Singapore National Games, Tug of War etc., etc.”

It is the annual DBS-backed regatta, set against the Marina Bay skyline, which perhaps stands out for paddlers and the general public alike. Originally conceived with help from DBI and SDBA, it kicked off in 2012 with 2,000 paddlers competing in seven categories.

[​IMG]
    Paddlers In The Pink, a dragonboat team made up of breast cancer survivors, in action at the 2016 DBS Marina Regatta (Photo courtesy of DBS)

Come 2017, there were 3,000 paddling across 14 categories at what is now Singapore’s largest watersports festival, said Karen Ngui, head of group strategic marketing and communications at the bank.

SDBA has also taken steps to seed the sport amongst youths, said former national paddler Sean Chua, now a teacher.

“Every student in my secondary school would have gone through at least one dragonboat session during their four years, as it's recognised as an enriching program for teamwork,” he observed. “And many schools actually go to Kallang for dragonboat all year round, for school camps. They are very popular these days.

“With almost every polytechnic and university collaborating with SDBA to have dragonboat as a CCA, it’s also helped the sport grow.”

[​IMG]
    Members of the Nanyang Polytechnic dragonboat team preparing for training at the Kallang river (Photo: Gaya Chandramohan)

A LEGACY... TO WHAT END?

Yet the Cambodia incident’s most tangible footprint may lie in the area of safety protocols. The five paddlers died after strong currents upended their boat and sucked them under a pontoon - leading to unresolved debate over whether life vests would have saved them.

Nonetheless, SDBA pushed a mandate for the national team to wear life vests during training and racing - whether local or overseas, and even if not practiced by other competitors or required by event organisers. Tests are also conducted to ensure all national team paddlers can swim and tread water without life vests, said Kieu.

The rule for compulsory use of live vests extends to mainstream dragonboating activities as well, on top of a ban on nighttime paddling.

[​IMG]
    Dragonboaters at Kallang river on a weekend (Photo: Gaya Chandramohan)

Another former national paddler turned coach, Cheryl Tay, said the accident continues to serve as a reminder to be more vigilant and to never underestimate the environment.

“The incident taught us never to take safety for granted,” added Lam Yi He, a current member of the national team.

Chian concluded: “While in hindsight, it’s frustrating and saddening that it took such a tragic event for dragonboat here to grow by leaps and bounds, I think our brothers watching over us will be happy to see the state of our sport today.”

But a member of the Cambodia crew, who stayed on to compete as an athlete and later served as an official, said the milestones of the last 10 years “meant nothing”.

“I’d rather not have all these achievements - if I could have the five of them back.”

This is the fourth part of a series marking the 10th anniversary of an accident in Cambodia which left five Singaporean national dragonboaters dead. Read the first, second and third parts.
    Source: CNA/jo

Read more at http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...t-tragedy-rise-of-dragonboating-sport-9422414

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    The Big Read: After a tumultuous election, new FAS council gets off on the right foot

By Low Lin Fhoong, Raymond Tham

[​IMG]
    The Singapore team sing the national anthem during the 2019 Asian Cup Qualifier match between Singapore and Bahrain at National Stadium on November 14, 2017 in Singapore. Photo: Getty Images

Published 25 November, 2017
    Updated 25 November, 2017
    SINGAPORE — Almost seven months after a historic election marked by high drama, the dust has settled and the newly-elected Football Association of Singapore (FAS) Council has gone about its work away from the media glare.

After a promised 100-day review failed to materialise, the council finally unveiled its much-awaited plan earlier this month to drag Singapore football out of the doldrums.

The blueprint covers youth development, the S-League and national age group and senior teams. Aimed at widening the base of players, improving the quality of coaches, and increasing opportunities for youth to play football, the plan was generally well-received by the football fraternity.

However, the jury is still out for FAS president Lim Kia Tong and his team, who have given Singapore football fans precious little to cheer about in more than half a year in charge. The fortunes of the senior national team continue to flounder: Just this month, the team lost 0-1 to Lebanon and 0-3 to Bahrain in an international friendly and Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Asian Cup qualifier, respectively.

The team has failed to win any of their last 13 matches, and news on Thursday (Nov 23) that Singapore’s Fifa ranking moved up three places from an all-time low to 170 was scant comfort.

Apart from lifting the performances of the national team, observers identified youth development and reinvigorating the football leagues as the most pressing issues — these were among a slew of areas highlighted by Mr Lim in his speech at the 35th FAS annual congress on Nov 16.

Acknowledging the “many challenges in managing football in Singapore”, Mr Lim said: “Whatever the challenges, the Council’s job is to see how to manage and administer the game together with all stakeholders to bring, within available resources, football to commendable and respectable levels.”

[​IMG]
    The Singapore team pose for a photo during the 2019 Asian Cup Qualifier match between Singapore and Bahrain at the National Stadium. Photo: Getty Images

Mr Lim addressed concerns about the future of the S-League — the country’s professional football league — with plans focusing on developing youth and coaches, club administration and shared services for cost efficiency, among other areas.

The formats of both the National Football League (NFL) and the Women’s Premier League were also revamped to a two-division format, in order to provide greater playing opportunities for footballers.

Mr Lim also announced that a memorandum of understanding will be signed with the Singapore Sports Hub for next year to 2020, which will see the 55,000-seater National Stadium hosting between seven to 10 matches per calendar year.

Stadium tours, which will include a players’ village with a changing room lined up with jerseys of the Lions, Lions’ fan club and engagement, and a football festival will be held to build on its brand as the home of Singapore football.

Nevertheless, it was the three-point plan for youth development which caught the eye. The comprehensive proposals were welcomed by observers, given a dearth of young talent which has been blamed on the lack of a proper youth development system.

Observers noted that it will be a long trudge back to the top for Singapore football - which was considered one of the best in the region not too long ago - given the deep-seated problems plaguing the sport here.

The new 15-member FAS council took office after winning an election on April 29 that was marred by arrests and raids on three football clubs over suspected misuse of funds.

The team led by Mr Lim won a two-third majority vote, 30-13, against a rival slate led by businessman Bill Ng, who was among those arrested.

Following the eventful start to their four-year term, TODAY takes a look at how the new FAS council have fared so far in fixing the urgent issues.

YOUTH DEVELOPMENT: IMPLEMENTATION IS KEY TO FIX LAX DISCIPLINE AND ATTITUDES

At a press conference last week, the FAS revealed that only 3,000 youths from primary schools, secondary schools and tertiary institutions play the sport.

The figure represents only 1.6 per cent of the student population in 366 schools here.

The lack of professionalism and accountability, lack of support for coaches’ education, a poor talent scouting system, and lack of competitions among the youths were also cited as problems that needed to be addressed

S-League clubs have also not helped to boost young player numbers significantly, particularly after a move by the FAS in 2014 to cut the number of Centres of Excellence (COEs) for youth development.

Hit by poor fan support, a lack of sponsorship and clubs’ money woes, the ailing S-League has also struggled to produce young talents. Questions have also been raised about the efficacy of the Garena Young Lions, as the FAS’ Under-21 developmental side is a perennial bottom-dweller in the league, and they ended the 2017 season with the wooden spoon.

The issues with youth development and the S-League have had a trickle-down effect on the national football team, with the lack of young talented players forcing the Lions to rely on veterans such as Daniel Bennett and Mustafic Fahrudin, who are 39 and 36 respectively.

The FAS’ work on youth development began more than two years ago when it hired Michel Sablon as its technical director. Following an update of the grassroots football manual, the Belgian unveiled in May last year a comprehensive plan to improve areas such as coaches’ education, format of the schools competition, and the use of sports science and medicine.

[​IMG]
    (Right) Mahdi Abdul Jabbar of Bahrain reacts after scoring the first goal during the 2019 Asian Cup Qualifier match between Singapore and Bahrain at National Stadium. Photo: Getty Images

But a string of embarrassing defeats by the national age group teams this year, including an 11-0 loss to Japan, led to questions about the efficacy of Mr Sablon’s plans. According to sources, the FAS had failed to put in a concrete monitoring system to track the outcome of the plans, if they were implemented at all.

These concerns have resurfaced as the FAS rolled out its new national framework for youth football development.

While it looked good on paper, the FAS needs to step up and ensure that coaches are teaching the right training methods and instilling good values in youth footballers, observers said. They cited experiences of a lack of professionalism and accountability at the youth level, with coaches and players turning up late or putting in minimal effort during training sessions and games.

“This is how our football is, the players are not being pushed in terms of discipline and diet, and it’s a problem that’s very difficult to eradicate...You need to get the bad eggs out and groom a whole new bunch of coaches that will take this seriously,” said a youth coach who declined to be named.

Garena Young Lions coach Vincent Subramaniam added that the administrators must demand discipline from players and coaches.

“The youth development plans will only succeed if certain components are put in place, we will succeed only with strong-headed officials taking responsibility for this. If not, it’s like giving a house a new coat of paint, but sweeping the problems under the carpet,” said the former national coach.

Specialised youth coaches could also be deployed to work with budding footballers, said some observers. They noted that while there are many licenced coaches in Singapore, most are not geared towards training youths, who have different physical attributes and needs as compared to mature players.

2Touch Soccer School director Khairul Asyraf said: “(You need) someone who understands youth physiology, youth coaching pedagogy and of course, he must be a role model. This is something we overlook in a youth coach and education, and we wonder why our players are partying, have poor professional attitudes, and are brawling!”