Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Don't think you can beat UK students on alcohol consumption ;)

visor likes this.
  2. visor

visor Regular Member

@Charlie-SWUK
    Many things already mentioned by Cheung and ucantseeme and yippo.

1. I'd also like to see more blocks and pushes, tighter to the tape, instead of lifting all the time.

2. Need more explosiveness in your shots and your legs if you want to play at a faster pace than this leisurely social level we see here.

3. Your backhand clear is kinda strange... all wrist and supination, and no body turn and shoulder/elbow input will limit your power. Also limits your option to drop, so all your opponent has to do is prepare for a clear.

4. Your backhand smash defense really needs a few hours of drilling to get right. You lost many points from smashes at you that weren't really that hard.

But for playing with your non dominant arm, I must admit that there's no way I can even do what you're doing.

3. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    oh yeh! good spot Visor, i forgot Charlie was the one that had changed racket arm. Must have been very difficult.

Charlie, where are you located in UK?

4. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Hands down, I think it's sensational what Charlie is doing with the "wrong" arm. I'm happy if I can hit a garden-style panhandle clear midcourt to midcourt with my left. :confused:

Cheung and visor like this.
  5. visor

visor Regular Member

SW probably stands for South Wales?

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

South west England is probably more likely.

Rob3rt likes this.
  7. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    All fair points. I should play singles against someone I know will likely win, if nothing else it'll make me work harder and more at my limit than in these games because they were reasonably leisurely.

With regards to backhand, this is another factor I'm aware of, I'm much better at stepping into the shot during drills than in games. I actually don't like playing backhand drops at all, I'd much rather play a backhand clear or smash. I find that putting the extra pace on the shuttle ended up safer than aiming for precision. It also meant if my partner didn't intercept the reply, the reply was coming deeper into court anyway so I could still retrieve it rather than scrambling to the net.

It's not just the backhand defence I need to work on, it's both sides really. I think about 6 million hours doing lift smash drop would do.

@yippo888 I'm in West Sussex, moving over to East Sussex again soon.

8. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    Ah nice. I work in Crawley. Is K2 close to you? we should get a friendly game in.

9. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Ah @visor I looked back through the footage, and found two key patterns in backhand defence mistakes.

1) Doubles when it's down the middle, I hesitate a lot not knowing if my partner is going for it.
    2) In singles, when I expect them to go the other way.

There's one instance, two consecutive rallies in singles, the first time I'm not expecting him to smash at all, and he does so to backhand side. I missed the defence on that. Second time, same spot, I expected him to smash straight and he went cross. Messed up the forehand defence.

I also *know* I have massive issues retrieving flat smashes right now, because I expect them to go low/steeper. I guess that right now I don't have the reflexes with this hand to quickly adapt to these situations, and I think that's gonna take a lot of practice to rectify. I'm not sure there's an easy fix beyond drills drills drills.

I also need to adjust the nuances on flat shots, at the moment I either go one of two ways; I supinate too much and hit upwards, making easier kills from the mid court, or pronate too much, and the shuttle finds the net. I think to correct this I need to have drills where it's varied i.e it starts as clears but changes into drives.

10. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Are you free Oct-Nov? I come. Do you drink? I can bring some Jägermeister or Vodka. :D

Upgrade next time to play with drunk girls a XD game. Like heaven...

s_mair and visor like this.
  11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

After 4 years, it has happened. Behold......singles in a league match. :D
    Any comments are appreciated. I already know movement back from the net is somewhat sluggish, but any insights as to why would be helpful ;)
    I'm the one in blue and pink.

OhSearsTower, s_mair and ucantseeme like this.
  12. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    @j4ckie was fun to watch. IMO alot BC members here should take a leaf out of your book. Most people here play singles with too much smashing which brings them most of the time into trouble. I love your slice smashs, change of pace, variations and flat play. Sometimes you could lower your stance a bit more and use your height especially at the net. Maybe it's the angle, but I got the impression that you stand sometimes a bit too close to the net. Just my 2 cents. Never the less a good game, BUT WHERE IS THE XD? :) ;)

@18:38 "...Hühnerkacke...duschen"? LMFAO :D

13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

No idea what that's about. Not my kid, so I'm not familiar with his particular brand of gibberish :D
    Concerning the smashes - when you get countered about a million times in training, you tend to learn your lesson and limit your smashing to real opportunities where you are in a good position and also have provoked a short lift or sth. ;)
    I dont think it's just the angle, a team mate commented (after a sparring match in training) that I outplayed him in the service situation around the net, but was too slow to go back and capitalize on it by putting him under pressure after the lift.
    I also could have a lower stance in a lot of situations, but that's something I'm working on most of the time anyways. Need more strength, more mobility, and slightly better timing and footwork patterns.....but I'm not a regular singles player, so I can live with that (for now) :D

Haven't had a ton of time to watch and cut the XD, will probably get to it at some point....although the next matches are next weekend, and they look tougher on paper. Might give me better material :D I also ran out of memory in the XD following this match, so I got only part of it.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Lack of practice ;)

The opponent foul serves when doing a forehand serve. Quite a lot of times, he lifts his right foot up as he hits the shuttle.

The opponent is strong in the rear corners. I notice that your length was a bit short. Also you rarely played neutral shots towards the centre of the court. So, you didn't really probe his strengths and weaknesses across the whole area of the court.

You served quickly. Were you trying to catch him out? I think that helped him more than it helped you until the third game.

I think you could have been more patient in rallies but for some who rarely plays singles, it was very good.

15. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I started the third set with the thought that I would smash a full smash into his body, not towards the lines, as I had made some errors there before, but iirc I didnt smash all-out that often. Mostly I concentrated on placing the smashes in a fashion that wouldn't allow him to counter me, and keep me in the driving seat for the rally. I dont recall having a lot of time in the back corners that often in order to gear up for a huge smash. Might have to do with my slow movement backwards ;)

My serving rhythm was just natural - how I felt most comfortable. No games played there, I tried to vary the placement a bit though. I'm not as good at it as in doubles, but at least I didn't serve everything to the T :D

I'm flattered, but will quickly have to amend that I have been playing singles in training for a couple of months again now. I just usually never play it in league matches and rarely in tournaments. Not quite sure if I will take that up again this season, I'll probably test it out and evaluate how my body can cope (official tournaments have fields of 16 and are played in 1 day - so 4-5 matches in a day).

16. Gavin97

Gavin97 Regular Member

@j4ckie it was really enjoyable to watch! Thanks for sharing with us!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j4ckie likes this.
  17. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    @swsh do we have something to upload?

18. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    I don't think we recorded anything recently. Sadly.

19. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    nothing from august and july sessions?

20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

That seems like something you should discuss in PMs ;)

Side note: finally got some MD footage. Will try to cut and upload asap.

ucantseeme, swsh and shreyas666 like this.