Tan Boon Heong (MYS) & Hendra Setiawan (IDN)

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by mrdeception, Dec 6, 2016.

1. ownz.uno

ownz.uno Regular Member

I will cheer for these guys today.

2. Abu Tanki

Abu Tanki Regular Member

Student
    Hendra and TBH are drawn to meet Boe and Mogensen in the quarterfinals.

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Gonna be interesting to see 2 pairs of left right combos battle it out.

4. ownz.uno

ownz.uno Regular Member

Big QF match I could say... :D

5. nthanhhai

nthanhhai Regular Member

I'm not sure about this partnership, but seems that they don't have coaches, and don't communicate with each other much, even a hi-five. Probably they are too professional to know each other mistakes and concentrate on the game. On the other hand, I saw TBH play style and don't like it much. He still has some excellent shots, but his style makes me feel he felt himself too good to not prepare for the coming shuttle. If I were his partner then I would be angry for every point he lost by that.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

6. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Yeah TBH has a habit of playing with a bit arrogance. He does get quite complacent and tries to play with a carefree kind of attitude. For me this will be the weakest area of the partnership. TBH needs to take it more seriously otherwise it will be to the detriment of what is a very good pairing.

7. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    http://www.juara.net/read/raket/bul...an.kendala.dari.hendra.setiawantan.boon.heong

They are breaking into top 30 within half year and going for first final SS.

Here's an excerpt from Lee Wan Wah about what obstacles he's having when coaching the pair.

Tantangan ada karena mereka adalah pemain dari dua negara yang berbeda, dengan domisili berbeda juga. Hendra punya keluarga di Indonesia, Tan punya keluarga di Malaysia.

It's quite challenging as they are from two different countries, they resides in different countries too. Hendra has family living in Indonesia, Tan has family living in Malaysia.

Hal ini membuat masa latihan bersama mereka sangat kurang. Mereka baru bisa berlatih bersama saat mengikuti turnamen.

This resulted in shorter practicing time together. They only can train together when competing in tournaments,

Itu yang pertama. Namun, kendala paling besar ialah menyatukan permainan mereka. Hendra sudah terbiasa dengan gaya main (Markis) Kido dan (Mohammad) Ahsan, sementara gaya main Tan sangat berbeda dengan mereka.

That's the first one. However, the biggest challenge is to click with each others play style. Hendra is already used to Kido and Ahsan's play style, on the other hand Tan is very different from these guys.

Kalau permainan mereka sudah bisa menyatu, saya yakin Hendra/Tan masih bisa menjadi ancaman.

If their play style could click, I'm sure Hendra/Tan will be serious threat.

Saat ini, mereka sudah mulai padu sekitar 60-70 persen. Mereka masih bisa berkembang, tetapi memang lebih lamban dari perkiraan saya.

Right now, I would say they're only 60-70% clicked. They still have room to develop (improve), but it's slower than my predicition.

Mungkin karena masa latihan bersama mereka tidak banyak. Jadi, semua perkiraan juga jadi meleset dari perkiraan.

Maybe because their training time together isn't sufficient. So everything went not as we predicted.

Masih soal penyatuan permainan. Stamina juga menjadi masalah karena mereka sudah tidak semuda dulu. Namun, secara keseluruhan, saya melihat ada perkembangan dari Hendra/Tan.

Still regarding getting them to click together. Stamina is also an issue because they're no longer young. But overall, I've seen a lot of progress from them.

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Finally, this cross-border partnership going to bear fruit tomorrow at the AUS Open SS MD Final ?

9. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Are you a big fan of this pair which you have chosen to keep as a deep secret?

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Not really, just that I appreciate extraordinary efforts by people who chose the road less traveled. I mean two has-beens, sort of but not entirely, at the end stage of their careers, 32-year-old Setiawan and 29-year-old Tan Boon Heong (I originally thought he's past 30), coming together from different nations to form a new partnership in an attempt to prolong and, perhaps, achieve a breakthrough in their profession.

That's remarkable in itself and deserves our encouragement and moral support, I should think so.

Fidget and skelro314 like this.
  11. esppy

esppy Regular Member

If anyone has been paying attention to the non racket hand's reaction in the middle of a jump smash...

Shin Baek Cheol and Tan Boon Heong can be brothers, lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Point daaaaat fingerrrrrrrrr~!

ant01 and samkool like this.
  12. visor

visor Regular Member

Lol... KKK has been photographed to point his third finger during a smash...

But congrats on beating ZN/CL...they are starting to gel together and played really well as a pair. Happy to see them truly enjoying badminton. We'll see how they do against Kamura/Sonoda in the final today.. I'll give them 50/50 chance.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

13. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    Even if they're not practicing together enough, their play not 100% clicking, still breaking into top 30 in half year is good run. They will be in top 10 by end of the year. TBH still got the thundering smashes and solid defense. Hendra's controled placement and anticipation is just second to none. Joining the old guards in MS (LD, LCW, LHI), I'm going to support these seasoned players to grab more titles on their way out.

14. esppy

esppy Regular Member

So is LCW. LOL

[​IMG]

visor likes this.
  15. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Great to see this pair reach the final. One of the more exciting pairs to watch now imo. It's true that they haven't quite "clicked" but it is getting there. But I think the main challenge for them is unforced errors. Setiawan is making a lot of unforced errors and his weak defense is giving a lot of free points away. TBH's smash hasn't lost any sting but if only he can get his stamina up and be able to sustain more heavy smashes it would make them more of a threat. They both also need to do more with their defense, although it's easier said than done!

16. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Both of them needs to prevent any easy mistakes as it cost them a lot of points.
    Barred any kind of small mistakes, they have power, speed and defence.
    They will one of the better pair in the future, if so.

17. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Too many funny trick shots and smash replies cost them the championship.... the Japanese saw their stunt coming....

18. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

That too. It apply mostly and certainly to Tan Boon Heong.
    There are many situation that he can finish it off with a smash but casually did a 'funny' shot.
    Most top pair aren't going to let people do that easily.

19. esppy

esppy Regular Member

Yeah true. I'm like wtf man you let back to the net and never rush front;, and also, on some rallies, Setiawan didn't move to Boon Heong's direct front to cover the straight reply on his smash, still staying at the other side presumably to cover the cross reply. They tried to chase up in the second game but ultimately couldn't hang on...

Anyway on BH: is he having a lack of effort or energy to continuously smash? If you ask me, they already made it to a Sunday, just go all out and sleep the Monday away, no harm.

Loving his 31lbs BG65Ti, every full smash is like actual glass breaking. He still got the strokes, it's just whether he wants to or can continuously dish it out....

20. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    These guys both still hit pretty hard. They play with a freedom other pair don't really have.
    If they can iron out the creases, they should make a decent pairing