No top player promotion of Badminton

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by eelvis, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Littlejohn

Littlejohn Regular Member

Lazy Bum
    Dont want to keep harping on about the same issue but there seems to be a view that the lack of promotion of badminton is the fault of Badminton organisers and players.....Ask yourselves one simple question, why on earth would these so call ,self interested, people NOT want more exposure..and thus more cash/fame for themselves
    Eelvis, BE spend a great deal of time and money in trying to get the game in the papers and on TV, why isnt it there....because the Tv and media have more interest in Football, Cricket, Rugby etc..ask them why they are not showing more of our great sport. Ask YouTube why they are blocking BWF feeds, perhaps its due to a contractual conflict with the existing rights holders. And BE also spend a huge amount of time and money on scholl and community projects
    Borkya, I would agree completely with your point about making badminton clothes cool, the only problem here is that folks would want to wear the sponsored kit their favourites wear at tournaments.....and BWF have rigid rules about the number of adverts per item of clothing and how clothing has to be badminton gear, players can be pulled from tourneys if they insist on wearing non badminton gear, cycling shorts etc and have too amny adverts, all this seems somewhat strange when the sport needs investment, why would a large commercial sponsor want to get involved in a sport that only allows 1 small advert on a shirt. Change the rules and allow multiple adverts and more money may arrive. Lin Dan is certainly in a greatpositionto sell cars, but what percentage of worlds population would know who the hell he is.
    Sorry rant over

Cheung likes this.
  2. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

I noticed the JP team now have an extra sponsor on their shorts / skirts. Even if the change is not big at first, I think allowing more sponsorship is an avenue that BWF needs to explore.

eelvis likes this.
  3. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I wouldn't mind much about it. Some players are nice persons, others not. I got brushed off by several players, too. Sometimes it's a bad moment. You also have a bad moments in life. Maybe you want to go with me to the HK Open? I can help to get in touch with german players, if you like.;)

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Good idea!

5. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    I can relate to this, the australia open SS was similar like this. It seems every other sport got some coverage, but when I tell people about the tournament, they seem so surprised as they heard it for the first time.

What hurts more is when you see the agenda and events in the olympic park and sydney website. There was no mention or news of this tournament. Hey, this is an international tournament of a high grade with many world class players!

Even on the ground, I can see agendas of NSW and Sydney's team playing, but no mention of the Australia open.

I think we need to approach a wider community more, not just in our shell. It's like the news of badminton related events doesn't reach the mass because they keep it to very limited badminton communities

6. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    I believe Eurosport own the rights but don't use them at all.

I use a VPN to watch but I work in IT. How many 'normos' know how to do that?

It used to be commonplace to see a dozen people watching superseries tournaments on a phone or tablet at a badminton England ranking tournament on a weekend around the hall.

What's really really worrying is a trend that my local council have jumped on the bandwagon of - hiking court rental prices massively. Even my old club (don't play local club level any longer) are struggling to pay for courts these days due to the organisation they rent from changing and prices being hiked over the last 2-3 years.

Badminton is actually a really great income for sports centres, they've seen that and are now milking it for all it's worth. So far, to disastrous consequences. (A friend and training partner manages one of the council's centres)

7. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    That's actually disgusting and makes me sick.

Exactly the same **** happens in England.

Almost as if badminton is illegal.

8. colekwok

colekwok Regular Member

Fixing people
    I just started another thread, read the news about poor Gail Emms.
    That sums up about badminton in this part of the world. A sport named after the the Badminton house in Badminton in Gloucestershire obviously not thriving.

I am also not sure why BWF blocks the broadcast of most SuperSeries games on Youtube here, I don't see Sky or any other media broadcasting on paid channels (except for the Finals of All England)?

9. msitpro

msitpro Regular Member

IT consultant
    I believe Eurosport currently own the rights, but don't use them themselves. Instead they take bids from others like the BBC for the AE and the WC this year.

Pissed me right off.